Thread: Leap 15.2 on Virtualbox 5.2 - Guest additions not working

Default Leap 15.2 on Virtualbox 5.2 - Guest additions not working

I have been runnigb Leap 15.1 on Virtualbox 5.2.28 on Win10 with no issues and with guest additions installed from the repositories. Upgraded to 15.2 Alpha and guest additions stopped working.

I reinstalled guest additions and still no luck (also tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstallin). No shared clipboard and no "screen resizing" (either by left clicking on the screen icon or by manually resizing the window). Resizing the screen via the LXDE control center does work. Virtualbox guest addituons is 6.1.2.

I realize 15.2 is Alpha, and VB 5.2.28 is not the latest.

Anyone got any ideas?

Default AW: Leap 15.2 on Virtualbox 5.2 - Guest additions not working

Anyone got any ideas?
    Install Virtualbox 6.1 in the Host.

Leap 15.1 has Virtualbox 6.0 and Leap 15.2 has Virtualbox 6.1
    Last edited by Sauerland; 16-Feb-2020 at 09:43.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Leap 15.2 on Virtualbox 5.2 - Guest additions not working

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Install Virtualbox 6.1 in the Host.

Leap 15.1 has Virtualbox 6.0 and Leap 15.2 has Virtualbox 6.1
    Yes,
    It matters that your Guest Additions have to match your installed Virtualbox,

But if you've installed Virtualbox on Win10, it's likely you already have VBox 6.1 installed (unless you haven't updated).
    If the Guest Additions that are installed by openSUSE isn't correct,
    Then, take no chances and
    1. Remove the Virtualbox packages from your openSUSE Guest
    2. Install Guest Additions using the Guest Additions ISO that comes with your installation (That's how you can ensure versions are same). If you haven't done this before, you'll need dependencies make, gcc, kernel-default-devel, kernel-devel.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: Leap 15.2 on Virtualbox 5.2 - Guest additions not working

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I tried installing from the Guest Additions virtual CD and the compilation failed with an internal error about parameter passing and the extensions were not installed.

2. I am running a Tumbleweed install along side which uses the same openSUSE version of the Vbox tools and that works fine.

Have done testing on various versions of VBox and various verions of openSUSE with different kernels. Sort of version lotto! Here are my results:

Running on VirtualBox 5.2.28 on Win10
    Tumbleweed (Kernel 5.4.13) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.0.14 - OK
    Tumbleweed (Kernel 5.5.2) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.1.2 - OK
    Leap 15.1 (Kernel 4.12.14) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.0.12 - OK
    Leap 15.2 (Kernel 5.3.18) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.1.2 - Not working
    Running on VirtualBox 6.0.12 on Leap 15.1 - latest version in the repositorary
    Leap 15.2 (Kernel 5.3.18) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.1.2 - Not working
    Running on VirtualBox 6.1.2 on Win10
    Leap 15.2 (Kernel 5.3.18) - VirtualBox guest additions 6.1.2 - Not working (Tried video set to all of VMSVGA/VboxSVGA/VboxVGA)

Basically everything works except Leap 15.2 which implicitly has "VirtualBox guest additions 6.1.2" as that's all that is avilable. Tumbleweed with the same extension version works fine.

Open to suggestions and ideas?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

You're going to have to post either the Guest Additions Install log or capture and post the stdout (the two should be the same).
    Without the exact error, one can only wildly speculate.

In any case none of the Virtualbox Guest Additions you posted should be fully working no matter whether you think they are or not... The Guest Additions support a number of functionality so it's unknown whether you're testing/viewing only something that works without knowing about other things that likely aren't working.

I'm pretty sure (but without actually installing a VBox 5.x on a Windows machine) that your installed Guest Additions should be a 5.x version, not anything that starts with a 6.

In fact, just the fact that you are seeing Guest Additions with a version 6 likely indicates that you didn't remove the openSUSE installed Guest Additions before installing from your ISO... Developers tend to write their software so they can be easily updated/upgraded and hardly ever write their software so they can be downgraded.

In any case,
    VBox 6.0 followed by 6.1 and now 6.1.2 which is a major upgrade from earlier 6.1 has been available for awhile...
    IMO you should seriously consider upgrading your VBox to the current 6.1.2, there is hardly any good reason to be running 5.2.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

OK. Upgraded my main system to VirtualBox 6.1.2 on Win10.

- Leap 15.1 rescales the screen correctly.

- Tumbleweed rescales the screen correctly.

- Leap 15.2 upgraded from 15.1 does not work.

- Fresh network install of Leap 15.2, just adding the extension from the SUSE repository, does not work.

It really does look like a Leap 15.2 issue.

All of the above had the same display settings in their VB config.

For some reason the 15.2 repo still provides a range of VBox packages, for instance virtualbox-guest-x11 has several versions available from 6.0.6 through 6.1.2 : please check that you actually installed a version matching your host (6.1.2 apparently).
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    For some reason the 15.2 repo still provides a range of VBox packages, for instance virtualbox-guest-x11 has several versions available from 6.0.6 through 6.1.2 : please check that you actually installed a version matching your host (6.1.2 apparently).
    Please disregard this comment, sorry. Many versions are available but the installer should have installed the latest (if you used the last .iso available).
    And I've just seen this thread https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-on-VBox-6-1-2 that confirms your findings (among others).
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Installed did install the latest one on bith my systems. The fresh install has installed everyting it seems which is what TSU2 commented on the the tread you pointed me at.

Cheers all ....... looking forward to the final release!