/usr/sbin/named (BIND DNS server; named.service) not working anymore due to directory access issues

I suspect that this is a ‘capabilities’ issue, rather than a simple file permissions problem.

After upgrading Tumbleweed today, named.service (DNS server) doesn’t run anymore. The error says:

17-Feb-2020 20:12:37.313 loading configuration from ‘/etc/named.conf’
17-Feb-2020 20:12:37.314 directory ‘/var/lib/named’ is not writable
17-Feb-2020 20:12:37.314 /etc/named.conf:21: parsing failed: permission denied
17-Feb-2020 20:12:37.314 loading configuration: permission denied

That directory has reasonable permissions and ownership:

% ls -ld /var/lib/named
drwxr-xr-x 1 named named 222 Feb 17 20:04 /var/lib/named

Setting it to 775 doesn’t fix things. However, setting it to 777 does, and gets me to the next problem:

17-Feb-2020 20:13:57.888 managed-keys-directory ‘/var/lib/named/dyn/’ is not writable
17-Feb-2020 20:13:57.891 loading configuration: permission denied

Looking at the run (via “strace named -g”), I don’t see anything that looks like a permissions problem at all. No obvious errors, in fact.

I tried disabling AppArmor (because that’s almost always a cause of problems, at least for me), and that did nothing. I am NOT using SELinux. Before the upgrade (“zypper -n dup --no-recommends --auto-agree-with-licenses --replacefiles --allow-vendor-change”), the system was running correctly, including named.service.

Here’s the only (really horrible!) work-around I’ve found that brings named back to life:

chmod 777 /var/lib/named /var/lib/named/dyn

Obviously, that can’t be a long-term solution. But at least I’m back up and running.

I searched this forum and the bug reports to see if there was anything similar. I found nothing. I searched via google, and found users who had fat-fingered configuration files, but that’s not the issue here. Something about the directory access or permissions model has gone haywire.

Just speculating that you may have been impacted by recent changes with /etc/nsswitch.conf and other changes perhaps…
http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blog/2020/02/opensuse-tumbleweed-review-of-the-week-2020-06/

Two major sources for errors on user machines have been identified:

• users ignoring *.rpmnew files and nor merging the config changes from packages into their own config (in this specific case for /etc/nsswitch.conf)
  • Some people seem to have removed even patterns-base-minimal_base, which resulted in those users not having libnss_usrfiles2 being pulled in. As a result, even if the config file was maintained/corrected, the services file could not be found.
  • Both issues are being attempted to be resolved: libnss_usrfiles2 is not only required by the pattern, but also by netcfg (netcfg sets the default config, so we thought this is the best point) and aaa_base tries to correct /etc/nsswitch.conf (but that results in ursfiles being added again, even if the user would have explicitly removed it)

Recent mailing list discussion thread that may be of interest…
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2020-02/msg00029.html