Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Dual Boot Windows 10 and OpenSuSE. Windows gets speeds of 236 MBPS. Cat 6 Ethernet connected using different browsers getting 34.2 MBPS when I should be getting 236 MBPS.
    Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Comcast is adamant that it is NOT their equipment. They are blaming Linux. PLEASE! I need help!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,323
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    I am reliably getting 200 mb/s on openSUSE 15.1, which is what I am paying for. This is a computer purchased in 2012, so not the fastest.

    I'm using "ext4" file systems, though I'm doubting that would be relevant to a speed test. I get similar speeds downloading isos.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I am reliably getting 200 mb/s on openSUSE 15.1, which is what I am paying for. This is a computer purchased in 2012, so not the fastest.

    I'm using "ext4" file systems, though I'm doubting that would be relevant to a speed test. I get similar speeds downloading isos.
    I'm using ext4 file systems too, so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Is there anything else I can check? I have an 8 core 32gig ram, 1GBPS eth0 connected directly to comcast router, nothing in between.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep eth0
    [    5.703086] r8169 0000:05:00.0 eth0: RTL8168h/8111h, 04:92:26:c3:95:cc, XID 541, IRQ 46
    [    5.703088] r8169 0000:05:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9200 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
    [    9.903241] r8169 0000:05:00.0 eth0: Link is Down
    [   13.517524] r8169 0000:05:00.0 eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off
    [   13.517556] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    Can anyone tell me what the above means? What else I can look at? How do I detect a governor on the comcast router?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,019
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Here are a few articles that describe optimizing your specific NIC, note that each covers some different ground

    http://es.net/assets/Uploads/100G-Tu...16.tierney.pdf
    https://unixblogger.com/how-to-get-y...updated-guide/
    https://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/howto/tcp.html
    https://cromwell-intl.com/open-sourc.../ethernet.html

    In addition to the above,
    I also wrote an article long ago on a much earlier version of openSUSE that would be totally relevant and expands on the third link above, which covers not only shifting system resources to networking, I also describe how you can or should modify your TCP/IP Congestion Control Algorithm to accomodate the higher speeds and possible late vs missing packets.

    https://sites.google.com/site/4techs...ork-connection

    My article also covers why you're seeing optimized speeds using Windows vs Linux, that you have to hand-craft settings in Linux because things don't happen automatically.
    And note that just because someone else is seeing Gig speeds and you aren't means that you should automatically be getting the same with the same configuration... My article emphasizes that a lot of the optimizations are required to accommodate imperfections in the lines like congestion, EMF interference, signal loss, more.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    13,323
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the above means?
    Those look like fairly normal messages during bootup (and starting the network).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,804

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Maybe this kernel patch has something to do with the problem at hand: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...5265c01929933c
    If so the OP needs at least kernel 5.3.x
    Can you test a current Tumbleweed Live DVD and see if anything changes?
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Here are a few articles that describe optimizing your specific NIC, note that each covers some different ground

    http://es.net/assets/Uploads/100G-Tu...16.tierney.pdf
    https://unixblogger.com/how-to-get-y...updated-guide/
    https://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/howto/tcp.html
    https://cromwell-intl.com/open-sourc.../ethernet.html

    In addition to the above,
    I also wrote an article long ago on a much earlier version of openSUSE that would be totally relevant and expands on the third link above, which covers not only shifting system resources to networking, I also describe how you can or should modify your TCP/IP Congestion Control Algorithm to accomodate the higher speeds and possible late vs missing packets.

    https://sites.google.com/site/4techs...ork-connection

    My article also covers why you're seeing optimized speeds using Windows vs Linux, that you have to hand-craft settings in Linux because things don't happen automatically.
    And note that just because someone else is seeing Gig speeds and you aren't means that you should automatically be getting the same with the same configuration... My article emphasizes that a lot of the optimizations are required to accommodate imperfections in the lines like congestion, EMF interference, signal loss, more.

    TSU
    Thanks so much TSU! I don't have time tonight, but maybe tomorrow morning I will check out the articles. My lines are in perfect order BECAUSE Booting into Windows, I get the speed 236MBPS and I am paying for 200.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Casco, MI USA
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Here are a few articles that describe optimizing your specific NIC, note that each covers some different ground

    http://es.net/assets/Uploads/100G-Tu...16.tierney.pdf
    https://unixblogger.com/how-to-get-y...updated-guide/
    https://datatag.web.cern.ch/datatag/howto/tcp.html
    https://cromwell-intl.com/open-sourc.../ethernet.html

    In addition to the above,
    I also wrote an article long ago on a much earlier version of openSUSE that would be totally relevant and expands on the third link above, which covers not only shifting system resources to networking, I also describe how you can or should modify your TCP/IP Congestion Control Algorithm to accomodate the higher speeds and possible late vs missing packets.

    https://sites.google.com/site/4techs...ork-connection

    My article also covers why you're seeing optimized speeds using Windows vs Linux, that you have to hand-craft settings in Linux because things don't happen automatically.
    And note that just because someone else is seeing Gig speeds and you aren't means that you should automatically be getting the same with the same configuration... My article emphasizes that a lot of the optimizations are required to accommodate imperfections in the lines like congestion, EMF interference, signal loss, more.

    TSU
    I followed the R8168 driver install updated guide rebooted and did a speed test. Didn't help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,804

    Default Re: DUAL BOOT OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Internet speed is very slow

    Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    I followed the R8168 driver install updated guide rebooted and did a speed test. Didn't help.
    Not surprising, that is a guide for Debian and not so up to date. Please test a newer kernel, at least 5.3.x or newer.
    You can install the kernel:STABLE from this repo http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...andard/x86_64/
    Or check a current Tumbleweed LiveDVD without installing: http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/
    There is (was?) a known problem with power management under heavy load with the r8169 driver that was fixed some 6 months ago.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •