Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble with first boot after installation

Blog Entries

Default Re: Trouble with first boot after installation

The following should be helpful specifically for boot options...
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/late...t-options.html

Besides mce=off,
    Others might be required as well, specifically
    Code:
    mce=no_cmci
    Also,
    Shortly (within a month?)
    TW might be getting the 5.6 kernel(Merge Close which is finalization of what is accepted just happened) which is supposed to be introducing an enormous number of new "stuff" of all types... I'd guess that latest support for AMD CPUs is in the list.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Smile Re: Trouble with first boot after installation

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    You may have problems with the graphics card as well, since most work on the opensource nouveau driver is still in progress for the Turing aka NV164 chips: https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
    Let's try something very basic: boot with the "mce=off nomodeset 3" boot options and see if you get at least a command line login.
    If so, try "mce=off nomodeset" and you should get a minimal GUI; if so, you might be able to proceed with the install, then try to install the Nvidia driver following this page: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
    This did it!
    I was able to get into the simple GUI, and install the GPU drivers through Yast. Now I don't even have to put 'mce=off' as a boot option to get started - which is maybe a bit weird considering I'm still running Leap 15.1? Anyway, I don't care - it works. Big thanks to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by McDynam View Post
    This did it!
    I was able to get into the simple GUI, and install the GPU drivers through Yast. Now I don't even have to put 'mce=off' as a boot option to get started - which is maybe a bit weird considering I'm still running Leap 15.1? Anyway, I don't care - it works. Big thanks to all of you!
    Nice to read you are up and running. As to the mce option, chances are that the installer saved it for you.
    To see the current boot command line open a terminal and issue, for instance, the following:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep BOOT
    and see if the mce=off is there...
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

@McDynam:

You can also view the current boot command from a CLI by entering the following command: “cat /proc/cmdline”.

I have the following boot commands:
    Code:
    BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default root=UUID=f35297db-2f35-4f75-98e3-9ad5c86a0111 splash=silent resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_QVO_2TB_S4CYNF0M524385H-part3 mitigations=auto quiet
    I must say it was a bit different from what I had expected.

That looks like the default boot command line, if it works for you don't change it.
    Maybe the installed kernel was updated relative to the installer's one, so you don't need the mce thing anymore.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Then I'll leave it.

I appreciate your help, OrsoBruno - thanks a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12