Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No GUI after update

Blog Entries

Default Re: No GUI after update

Quote Originally Posted by Ayasz View Post
    I have redo everything this morning. No error after installing the development package. However after installing the update and Nvidia hard way exactly same results as before. I also tried to log into an older kernel and it's still the same, just a bunch of nouveao errors, timeout error and a login.

I'm very sorry if I am just being a noob, I just don't know what to do next. What it reads out is something along the lines of, doing this from memory so might be wrong:

7.243252] nouvoau 0000:09:00.0: gr: 51a200 - done 00000300
    7.243259] nouvoau 0000:09:00.0: gr: 51a200 - stat 00000000 00000000 00000000

9.617529] nouvoau 0000:09:00.0: DRM: core notifier timeout
    11.617612] nouvoau 0000:09:00.0: DRM: base-0 timeout

Welcome to opensuse tumbleweed. . . . login

And the readout is super tiny, I can't even take a photo of it, camera will not pick it up. Just a white line. Don't know fi there's a way to save this output or if it even means anything. Looks like the 0000:09:00.0 is my master Graphics card that all the monitors are plugged into. I tried splitting the monitors up to run off both cards before but I just could not get it to work either. I am on the read only snapshot now from yesterday, I haven't rolled back in case there is a solution and that update was huge and take a very long time to redo over and over.

Thank you
    Hi
    Sounds like nouveau is not blacklisted.... Does the file exist /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf? Or a file blacklisting nouveau?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hello,

I have Nvidia.conf, 50-nvidia-default.conf.rpmsave and there are no files with the name Nouveau

Nvidia did complete the blacklisting step during install, unfortunate that it didn't apply. What do I have to create to make this work? I have created a blacklist file before, I have an asus motherboard and used to always get a watchdog hardware error and made a blacklist file in this folder. So I assume same must be done with the Nouveau

edit: I did look inside the nvidia.conf file and it just says: blacklist nouveau.

however this is on the working snapshot. I will have to log out and back into the broken one to see if it's there. Or shuld I run the hard way steps for manually blacklisting nouveau?

Blog Entries

Hello,

I have Nvidia.conf, 50-nvidia-default.conf.rpmsave and there are no files with the name Nouveau

Nvidia did complete the blacklisting step during install, unfortunate that it didn't apply. What do I have to create to make this work? I have created a blacklist file before, I have an asus motherboard and used to always get a watchdog hardware error and made a blacklist file in this folder. So I assume same must be done with the Nouveau

edit: I did look inside the nvidia.conf file and it just says: blacklist nouveau.

however this is on the working snapshot. I will have to log out and back into the broken one to see if it's there. Or shuld I run the hard way steps for manually blacklisting nouveau?
    Hi
    So there are two files one called nvidia.conf and one called 50-nvidia-default.conf.rpmsave? if only 50-nvidia-default.conf.rpmsave, rename this as 50-nvidia-default.conf, boot to the newest kernel at runlevel 3 and run the command mkinitrd, then reboot into the new kernel again and install the nvidia run file as per normal....

Hello

I have logged into the new broken version and there was no nvidia.conf. I ran the first step of the nvidia installer which creates the nvidia.conf with the blacklist inside. rebooted and re-installed Nvidia driver. after install I checked and the installer now removed the nvidia.conf file. I tried again and added the file myself manually, still no good.

I'm sure many on here know a lot more about this than I do, but I had a similar problem after the last update. The latest nvidia version is now in the regular repo. I removed then reinstalled the kernel, removed and reinstalled nvidia-gfxG05-kmp-default, and then rebooted, and everything is working now. Your results may vary, but this worked for me using versions all now in the regular repos. Did all this from within the broken version. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

Hello

I have logged into the new broken version and there was no nvidia.conf. I ran the first step of the nvidia installer which creates the nvidia.conf with the blacklist inside. rebooted and re-installed Nvidia driver. after install I checked and the installer now removed the nvidia.conf file. I tried again and added the file myself manually, still no good.
    Hi
    Did you run the mkinitrd command after the file was added? Is it present in the initrd?

Code:
    lsinitrd |grep nvidia

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           18 Oct 13 12:40 etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf

Hello, I am bad at forums, the replies are all out of order.

I was running mkinitrd after the install

I have now followed your instruction with renaming, I had to look up commands for how to find and rename files via the terminal. I have then follower the rest of the instructions and the GUI loaded me in but things are very broken. I have about 5-10 fps only. everything is very laggy. My desktop backgrounds are black instead of blurred and cannot be changed. Video playback is barely playing. And I cannot open Blender. When trying to open blender. I also can't apply my Nvidia fan and power limit script, walls of errors for no permissions. When trying to run blender via the terminal I get this:

Code:
    Received X11 Error:
            error code:   2
            request code: 151
            minor code:   34
            error text:   BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver.
    A graphics card and driver with support for OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required.
    The program will now close. 
    I have tried restarting twice just to see if it fixes itself as it sometimes does, but nothing, everything is a bit broken and weird. Nvidia settings says Driver 440.59 and all the monitors are at the correct resolutions and forced composition pipeline options enabled. xorg.conf appears fine.

I also checked while in the etc folder, the nvidia.conf is missing again. It just vanishes after installing the driver, should I re-add in manually, could this be the problem?

Thank you for all the help and sorry to be such a pest, I would just really like it all to work again so I can get back to work.

Edit:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1224 Feb 5 19:01 etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia-defualt.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18 Feb 11 12:51 etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

This is the first part of the lsinitrd |grep nvidia

But as I said above, the nvidia.conf is no longer there, the installer removes it.

Untill I received your instruction I was always running mkinitrd after the install as per hard way instructions.

edit edit:
    I just noticed in the bottom right(system tray?) There is a warning that the software renderer is in use.

Blog Entries

Hello, I am bad at forums, the replies are all out of order.

I was running mkinitrd after the install

I have now followed your instruction with renaming, I had to look up commands for how to find and rename files via the terminal. I have then follower the rest of the instructions and the GUI loaded me in but things are very broken. I have about 5-10 fps only. everything is very laggy. My desktop backgrounds are black instead of blurred and cannot be changed. Video playback is barely playing. And I cannot open Blender. When trying to open blender. I also can't apply my Nvidia fan and power limit script, walls of errors for no permissions. When trying to run blender via the terminal I get this:

Code:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Received X11 Error:
    Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver.
    A graphics card and driver with support for OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required.
    The program will now close. 
    I have tried restarting twice just to see if it fixes itself as it sometimes does, but nothing, everything is a bit broken and weird. Nvidia settings says Driver 440.59 and all the monitors are at the correct resolutions and forced composition pipeline options enabled. xorg.conf appears fine.

I also checked while in the etc folder, the nvidia.conf is missing again. It just vanishes after installing the driver, should I re-add in manually, could this be the problem?

Thank you for all the help and sorry to be such a pest, I would just really like it all to work again so I can get back to work.

Edit:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1224 Feb 5 19:01 etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia-defualt.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18 Feb 11 12:51 etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

This is the first part of the lsinitrd |grep nvidia

But as I said above, the nvidia.conf is no longer there, the installer removes it.

Untill I received your instruction I was always running mkinitrd after the install as per hard way instructions.

edit edit:
    I just noticed in the bottom right(system tray?) There is a warning that the software renderer is in use.
    Hi
    Delete the 50-nvidia-default.conf file it is probablythe cause of your issue, it must have a lot of data in it due to the size. Then rename nvidia.conf to 50-nvidia.conf and run mkinitrd again.

Code:
     ls -la /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18 Oct 13 12:40 /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf
    Check the lsinitrd output should just have output like mine? This all needs to be done at runlevel 3 with the newest kernel.

There is no nvidia.conf , should I be adding it manually with just the lines inside: blacklist nouveau ?

Blog Entries

There is no nvidia.conf , should I be adding it manually with just the lines inside: blacklist nouveau ?
    Hi
    What about the file called 50-nvidia-default.conf in your output? It needs to be gone from the directory /etc/modprobe.d...

Yes, but call it 50-nvidia.conf and the contents as indicated blacklist nouveau.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast