Thread: Cannot access installation media.

Default Cannot access installation media.

Hi,

I have been testing OpenSUSE for the first time in my life for about 2 weeks within a virtual machine and been liking it (other than by some omen, Lutris disappears the day I installed the VM) so, I decided to replace my KDE Neon system with OpenSUSE on my guinea pig laptop to play with it more actively on actual hardware however, a few moments into the installation setup as a few checks take place I get a window titled "YaST2" within stating:
    Code:
    Cannot access installation media.
    hd:/?device=/dev/disk/by-id/usb-TOSHIBA_TOSHIBA_USB-DRV_07083C06C11C1611-0:0-part1
    hd-fecb2350 (medium) Check whether the server is accessible.
    I have tried different USBs, USB ports, USB writing applications (such as Rufus and Etcher); all resulting in the same issue.

Hope it's not too difficult to get it installed. It was a quick and easy install on VirtualBox from the same .iso image...

Thank you in advance!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot access installation media.

I'm guessing that's a problem with creating the install USB.

If you have a linux system, then use "dd" to just copy the iso to the USB. You would copy to the raw device, maybe "/dev/sdb" (but check whether that's the right device). Do not copy to a partition, such as "/dev/sdb1".

When I do that, the device-id will have a "part2" rather than "part1" at the end of the device-id. That's why I suspect that you are using a non-standard method of creating the install USB.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm guessing that's a problem with creating the install USB.

If you have a linux system, then use "dd" to just copy the iso to the USB. You would copy to the raw device, maybe "/dev/sdb" (but check whether that's the right device). Do not copy to a partition, such as "/dev/sdb1".

When I do that, the device-id will have a "part2" rather than "part1" at the end of the device-id. That's why I suspect that you are using a non-standard method of creating the install USB.
    Yes, try this, it should work. It is working for me. Thanks

Blog Entries

Assuming from your description of USB writing apps, your HostOS is Windows and not Linux so it'd be hard to run dd (not a Windows command).

Another way is to follow the official SDB for creating a USB Stick

https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap

Since you say you have openSUSE already running in a virtual machine.
    To follow the above instructions you have to "add device" in your Guest Properties and mount your USB stick as a "raw storage device" in your VM,
    If successful you will no longer be able to see it in your HostOS, but will be able to see it in your Guest.
    Once you can see it in your openSUSE Guest, you can use the Imagewriter app as described in the SDB or the dd command as described by others in this thread.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Assuming from your description of USB writing apps, your HostOS is Windows and not Linux so it'd be hard to run dd (not a Windows command).
    "Rufus" has a "dd" option -- or, at least, it did when I last checked.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I actually wanted to reply back as I did get it to work but I honestly just extracted the .iso on my desktop into a folder, then copied everything over to my USB replacing all the files on it from Rufus. So... Yeah, that worked?
    I now have a fresh install of OpenSUSE instead of KDE Neon (been looking for the best distribution for me since leaving Windows) on both my laptop and desktop!

Thank you all for the replies (even though I got it working before I read any of them...)!!

Blog Entries

We are glad that you have it working.

Welcome to openSUSE.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha