Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMake, Boost, and python 2.7 on Tumbleweed

Default CMake, Boost, and python 2.7 on Tumbleweed

Hi,

I've been trying to package a game that uses libboost_python with the CMake build system and I cannot get it to find the proper libboost_python 2.7 library (/usr/lib64/libboost_python.so or /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py2_7.so.1.71.0). The game is here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/games/freeorion

It always fails does one of 3 undesirable things:

• Doesn't find any library
    • Returns /usr/lib64/libboost_python.so.1.71.0
    • Returns /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0

I've attempted to patch the CMakeLists.txt of the game to just use:
    Code:
    find_package(Boost COMPONENTS python REQUIRED)
    And I've also done a lot with trying to manually set
    Code:
    Boost_PYTHON_LIBRARY
    or use hints like:
    Code:
    set(Boost_PYTHON_VERSION_TAG "-py2_7")
    set(Boost_PYTHON_VERSION "2.7")
    Whatever I do, CMake does not find the proper boost python 2.7 library on tumbleweed. I've tried all the python-py27, python27, 2.7, etc. variants with all the options I could find. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. This game takes a very long time to compile and there are other compile errors that I'm working with upstream to patch.

Blog Entries

Default Re: CMake, Boost, and python 2.7 on Tumbleweed

Hi there
    Yes, python 2 is dropped/deprecated from Tumbleweed Just build for python3
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

This game requires python 2.7 and they are in the process of migrating, but not for their next release. I attempted to use the python3 anyways and I get linker errors like this:

Code:
    /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8String'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
    This game requires python 2.7 and they are in the process of migrating, but not for their next release. I attempted to use the python3 anyways and I get linker errors like this:

Code:
    /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8String'
    Hi
    Add the following to build and see if that helps;

Code:
    export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
    PyUnicode_AsUTF8String is correct for python > 3.3, are you sure the boost link flag is there (check the CMakeLists.txt)?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Add the following to build and see if that helps;

Code:
    export LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
    PyUnicode_AsUTF8String is correct for python > 3.3, are you sure the boost link flag is there (check the CMakeLists.txt)?
    That option did not work. Here is the link command and it's output. I'm not sure what flag you mean?
    Code:
    [ 2109s] [ 77%] Linking CXX executable freeoriond
    [ 2109s] /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
    [ 2109s] /usr/bin/ccache /var/lib/build/ccache/bin/c++   -DBOOST_ALLOW_DEPRECATED_HEADERS -O3 -DNDEBUG  -rdynamic CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/combat/CombatSystem.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/network/ServerNetworking.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/server/ServerWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/server/ServerFramework.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/CommonFramework.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/ConfigWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/EmpireWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/EnumWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/LoggingWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/UniverseWrapper.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/server/dmain.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/server/SaveLoad.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/server/ServerApp.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/server/ServerFSM.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/universe/UniverseGenerator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/util/DependencyVersions.cpp.o  -o freeoriond  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/freeorion libfreeorioncommon.so libfreeorionparse.so -lpython2.7 /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_log.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_log_setup.so.1.71.0 -lpthread /usr/lib64/libboost_log.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_atomic.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_date_time.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_iostreams.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_locale.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_chrono.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_regex.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_serialization.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_system.so.1.71.0 /usr/lib64/libboost_thread.so.1.71.0 -lz -lpthread 
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/server/ServerFramework.cpp.o: in function `PythonServer::InitModules()':
    [ 2110s] ServerFramework.cpp:(.text+0x233a): undefined reference to `boost::python::detail::init_module(char const*, void (*)())'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/server/ServerFramework.cpp.o: in function `initfreeorion':
    [ 2110s] ServerFramework.cpp:(.text+0xaf): undefined reference to `boost::python::detail::init_module(char const*, void (*)())'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/CommonFramework.cpp.o: in function `PythonBase::Initialize()':
    [ 2110s] CommonFramework.cpp:(.text+0x603a): undefined reference to `boost::python::detail::init_module(char const*, void (*)())'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/python/CommonFramework.cpp.o: in function `initfreeorion_logger':
    [ 2110s] CommonFramework.cpp:(.text+0x6f): undefined reference to `boost::python::detail::init_module(char const*, void (*)())'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8String'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromFormat'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyModule_Create2'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromString'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `_Py_fopen'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromStringAndSize'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyBytes_AsString'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyBytes_Size'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsWideChar'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_FromEncodedObject'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_AsUTF8'
    [ 2110s] /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/9/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libboost_python-py3.so.1.71.0: undefined reference to `PyUnicode_InternFromString'
    [ 2110s] collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    [ 2110s] make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/build.make:327: freeoriond] Error 1
    [ 2110s] make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/src-tarball/build'
    [ 2110s] make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:688: CMakeFiles/freeoriond.dir/all] Error 2

Blog Entries

Hi
    I see in the c++ line -lpython2.7 that should be python3 but it may also need -lboost_python3 after -lpthread.

Blog Entries

Can't python 2.7 be provided by configuring a repository?
    Of course, if python 2 has been deprecated in TW, that would mean that you'd likely have to package up any Python 2 dependencies since none would be provided by the installed system.

BTW -
    As of today, it's not gone yet... but of course you don't build something that'll work only today and not tomorrow...

https://software.opensuse.org/packag...m=%22python%22

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Can't python 2.7 be provided by configuring a repository?
    Of course, if python 2 has been deprecated in TW, that would mean that you'd likely have to package up any Python 2 dependencies since none would be provided by the installed system.

BTW -
    As of today, it's not gone yet... but of course you don't build something that'll work only today and not tomorrow...

https://software.opensuse.org/packag...m=%22python%22

TSU
    Hi
    We are discussing packages in the development project to head off to Tumbleweed, going forward, must be built with python3, they will then work with the current Leap releases, no build, no get into Tumbleweed, no get into Leap going forward....

There is zero reason to not fix and build for python3.

I got python3 to link properly by disallowing python2 development files and altering the CMakeLists.txt to explicitly search for python3. However, the game does fail to work properly because of python2 syntax in game files.

I've been following development of the python port for this game and it will not be ready by release. This game only releases about once per year so it would be broken for a while. Is there no way to force python2 support on tumbleweed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
    I got python3 to link properly by disallowing python2 development files and altering the CMakeLists.txt to explicitly search for python3. However, the game does fail to work properly because of python2 syntax in game files.

I've been following development of the python port for this game and it will not be ready by release. This game only releases about once per year so it would be broken for a while. Is there no way to force python2 support on tumbleweed?
    Hi
    Not that I'm aware of.....

What are the errors seen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast