Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMake, Boost, and python 2.7 on Tumbleweed

Default Re: CMake, Boost, and python 2.7 on Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    What are the errors seen?
    At a minimum the standard syntax ones (e.g. `print ""`), but the game uses python in AI and many other math-intensive scenarios and I have no idea if a drop-in replacement of python3 would break other things (i.e. integer division).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
    At a minimum the standard syntax ones (e.g. `print ""`), but the game uses python in AI and many other math-intensive scenarios and I have no idea if a drop-in replacement of python3 would break other things (i.e. integer division).
    Hi
    I would disable the build Tumbleweed builds until it python3 ready.....

If you look at DimStar's Factory branch and switch to obs_scm service (it's what I use these days) can pull the latest commits in a flash, plus switching to obscpio is a build saver...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi
    Not that I'm aware of.....

What are the errors seen?
    I could imagine someone setting up a purely community repo that offered python2 to solve this on obs (not me though , perhaps rebuilding pre-existing python2 leap packages under tumbleweed. But I happen to fully agree that python2 should be excluded from official repos going forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    I could imagine someone setting up a purely community repo that offered python2 to solve this on obs (not me though , perhaps rebuilding pre-existing python2 leap packages under tumbleweed. But I happen to fully agree that python2 should be excluded from official repos going forward.
    Hi
    I don't think that would be a good idea, no upstream support for any security issues? I would not want to use it Anyway, going forward as Tumbleweed does, I still have 40 python2 packages on my system of the 2314 python2 packages available.....

Code:
    awk "BEGIN {print `zypper -q --no-refresh se -t package python2 | wc -l` - 3}"
    awk "BEGIN {print `zypper -q --no-refresh se -i -t package python2 | wc -l` - 3}"

Hi
    I don't think that would be a good idea, no upstream support for any security issues? I would not want to use it Anyway, going forward as Tumbleweed does, I still have 40 python2 packages on my system of the 2314 python2 packages available.....

Code:
    awk "BEGIN {print `zypper -q --no-refresh se -t package python2 | wc -l` - 3}"
    awk "BEGIN {print `zypper -q --no-refresh se -i -t package python2 | wc -l` - 3}"
    I agree there that I would not want to use it either. But there are clearly enterprise users who still have python2 in active deployment, it still comes as a "required" base on IBM (Redhat 7) Linux, and IBM has bought the joy of supporting that themselves for perhaps another decade there, heck they still have in active support RedHat 6 that came with Python 2.6. Those future patches could possibly be brought over if some user really wanted to support it in their own repo in obs I suppose. Certainly they do have the freedom to do so. I know I wouldn't be using it either, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dyfet View Post
    I agree there that I would not want to use it either. But there are clearly enterprise users who still have python2 in active deployment, it still comes as a "required" base on IBM (Redhat 7) Linux, and IBM has bought the joy of supporting that themselves for perhaps another decade there, heck they still have in active support RedHat 6 that came with Python 2.6. Those future patches could possibly be brought over if some user really wanted to support it in their own repo in obs I suppose. Certainly they do have the freedom to do so. I know I wouldn't be using it either, though.
    Hi
    Getting a bit OT For SLE 15 SP1 it's a separate module and not a requirement...

I would disable the build Tumbleweed builds until it python3 ready.....
    Well, it's settled - one of the game developers told me to just wait until next game release as current python3 patches couldn't be backported anyways. This package was removed from Factory because of failing Tumbleweed build, does Factory require Tumbleweed to build?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
    Well, it's settled - one of the game developers told me to just wait until next game release as current python3 patches couldn't be backported anyways. This package was removed from Factory because of failing Tumbleweed build, does Factory require Tumbleweed to build?
    Hi
    In a development repo, yes for it to move to factory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12