Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Remove Nvidia proprietary driver

Default Re: Remove Nvidia proprietary driver

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    So the packages were removed but (at least) some files are still there, but I think those modules are not doing any harm since:

there are no nvidia modules actually in use. I would leave those nvidia modules alone at the moment.
    Please check if you still have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, possibly referring to a Nvidia configuration; if so, I would rename it since it is normally not needed in a default (nouveau) configuration, unless you have unusual monitors etc.
    Please also check if you have anything referring to Nvidia in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory and look for any line reading 'Driver "nvidia"' in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file.
    Also check if there is something reading "nvidia" in the /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers directory: if so, check in the Xorg log that no nvidia module is actually in use.
    The log should be in /home/<your user name>/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log but might also be elsewhere (cannot check at the moment); an attempt at loading a nvidia module is OK if followed by "Unload nvidia" several lines after that.

Sorry for a complex reply, but if the uninstall didn't complete as is apparently the case this is the only alternative I see to a clean reinstall.
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf file - none
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf - nvidia not mentioned
    /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers - nvidia not mentioned

It seems the path of searching for nvidia modules or other dust from the nvidia installation is not going anywhere. The last question for me is iit's possible to use snapper to revert the system to another stage before I installed the nvidia driver so the system should be free of any traces of this driver messup? If I have understood you guys the GeForce GTX 970 should run nice on the nouveau driver if everything was optimal?

Dag R

I had the choice of doing a clean install or try to install nvidia driver again. I managed to install the nVidia driver, and it works fairly well. Now I have the nVidia control panel, and try to adjust some of the effects. Browsing on the internet is not a smooth experience, but I make a new thread and ask about settings if needed.

Thanks for all help with this. It have been very educational for me.

Dag R

Nice to read you learned something.
    Have fun.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234