Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remove Nvidia proprietary driver

Default Re: Remove Nvidia proprietary driver

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Is there still a file down in /etc/modprobe.d blacklisting the nouveau driver?

Code:
    fgrep -r "nouveau" /etc/modprobe.d/
    If a file exists, delete the file and rebuild initrd as root user with mkinitrd.
    It didn't give any output. I have also checked /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf and it's not any mention of nouveau there. I did the forced update of mesa, and this action rebuild the initrd?

Dag R

Blog Entries

Since my last post I did a little more digging (i know it's bad form to post before you have everything but...)

1. Of course, Malcolm's suggestion to check whether nouveau is blacklisted is important
    2. I think descriptions say that only a small piece of the nVidia installation requires adding to the initrd, drm_nvidia. To me, this appears to be a kind of shim to the main nVidia module which appears to be a LKM. Note that his is purely based on reading articles about the installation and not close inspection of an install itself.

Bottom line,
    If Malcolm's suggestion isn't the reason, then my post about inspecting LKMs properly should probably apply. If I'm right, then removing the part that was installed into the initrd should not be critical, but it looks like the SDB "Installing nVidia the Hard Way" does include instructions should it be necessary.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

BTW -
    The above SDB may also contain the solution for your nVida problem (See the Configuration section).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Looking at your original command,
    I haven't inspected if the nVidia code is actually compiled into the initrd or as a LKM.
    If the nVidia module is built as a LKM and not into the initrd,
    The following is appropriate,
    Note that LKM can be loaded by your system any time whether during boot or later, only feature is that it shouldn't require something like a mkinitrd.

See the Wiki page I wrote on listing all modules and installed modules.

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/LKM

Recommend:
    Viewing all modules first to verify that your proprietary nVidia module still exists (I suspect it should be)
    Then
    Viewing only installed modules (nVidia should not be listed, I don't know if nouveau would be listed if it's built into the initrd) but the nVidia driver should not be displayed.
    I have searched through the LKMs, but it it nothing named nVidia there.

Dag R

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dagring View Post

Dag R
    Hi
    Did you rebuild initrd? Did you check if nvidia exists in initrd (need to be root user)?

Code:
    lsinitrd |grep nvidia
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Dag R
    Looking back through previous posts, I see you had already posted that you're using the nouveau driver, am reposting your output here

[sudo] passord for root: 33: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
    [Created at pci.386]
    Unique ID: VCu0.IuoTaz1A7sA
    Parent ID: _Znp.mxGZ4sT7tg6
    SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0
    SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
    Hardware Class: graphics card
    Model: "nVidia GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]"
    Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
    Device: pci 0x13c2 "GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]"
    SubVendor: pci 0x1462 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI]"
    SubDevice: pci 0x3160
    Revision: 0xa1
    Driver: "nouveau"
    Driver Modules: "nouveau"

Memory Range: 0xfd000000-0xfdffffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
    Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xd1ffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
    I/O Ports: 0xe000-0xefff (rw)
    Memory Range: 0x000c0000-0x000dffff (rw,non-prefetchable,disabled)
    IRQ: 28 (3616320 events)
    Module Alias: "pci:v000010DEd000013C2sv00001462sd00003160bc03sc00i00"
    Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: nouveau is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nouveau"
    Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: nvidia_drm is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidia_drm"
    Driver Info #2:
    Driver Status: nvidia is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe nvidia"
    Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
    Attached to: #17 (PCI bridge)
    Primary display adapter: #33
    So,
    What I suggested only confirmed...

I'm not clear what else you may be asking about?

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Did you rebuild initrd? Did you check if nvidia exists in initrd (need to be root user)?

Code:
    lsinitrd |grep nvidia
    Here is the output:

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 Jan 27 22:31 lib/firmware/nvidia
    drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 Jan 27 22:31 lib/firmware/nvidia/gm200
    drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 Jan 27 22:31 lib/firmware/nvidia/gm200/acr
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          832 Jan  8 18:04 lib/firmware/nvidia/gm200/acr/bl.bin
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        10144 Jan  8 18:04 lib/firmware/nvidia/gm200/acr/ucode_load.bin
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1440 Jan  8 18:04 lib/firmware/nvidia/gm200/acr/ucode_unload.bin
    etc

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       105240 Jan 27 22:32 lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default/updates/nvidia-drm.ko
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root     27642512 Jan 27 22:32 lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default/updates/nvidia.ko
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1479136 Jan 27 22:32 lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default/updates/nvidia-modeset.ko
    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1846928 Jan 27 22:32 lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default/updates/nvidia-uvm.ko
    There was a whole lot of other lines lib/firmware/nvidia. The editor did not allow me to paste more than. 15.000 caracters.

Dag

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Looking back through previous posts, I see you had already posted that you're using the nouveau driver, am reposting your output here

So,
    What I suggested only confirmed...

I'm not clear what else you may be asking about?

TSU
    My question is why the nouveau driver is not working properly (wobbly webpages), and my thesis is that maybe not all of the proprietary nVidia driver is purged. Maybe it is something else wrong. I only try to avoid reinstalling the whole system.

Dag

Default AW: Remove Nvidia proprietary driver

zypper se -si nvidia
    Code:
    zypper lr -d

Blog Entries

Something I should have mentioned in an earlier post:

If you have added the nvidia repo, and installed drivers from there then:

if you then remove the driver, it will be reinstalled when you are not paying attention. You have to disable the nvida repo to prevent this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2 RC; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Blog Entries

My question is why the nouveau driver is not working properly (wobbly webpages), and my thesis is that maybe not all of the proprietary nVidia driver is purged. Maybe it is something else wrong. I only try to avoid reinstalling the whole system.

Dag
    My understanding of how things are supposed to work is that there is supposed to be a kind of switch... For a particular display device you would switch between one module and another, if the switch is written correctly, then you can't experience a mixing and matching... the code for the two drivers just aren't written in a way that anything from the other can be accessed even accidentally.

So,
    Assuming things are working as they should, your speculation can't happen.

But,
    As I noted,
    the SDB I referenced seems to describe how to fix problems I think you described in your original post(s) were your reasons for even installing the nVidia driver in the first place.
    So, unless you originally ran nouveau before installing the nVidia driver so you know that the nouveau driver won't cause those problems and you agree those problems are described in the SDB, I'd think you should consider re-installing the nVidia driver and trying those configuration changes described in the SDB

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast