Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor won't sleep

Default Re: Monitor won't sleep

Quote Originally Posted by dagring View Post
    Will I get the it to work if I reinstall kernel-default? The kernel-default is installed now, but you mean I should use upgrade (the choices are keep, remove, upgrade, upgrade anyhow)?
    Yes in YaST Software manager “upgrade” of an installed package forces a reinstallation. This should replace any kernel modules that have been modifie, create a new initrdand rewrite the boot loader configuration.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

~ knowing the right answer is easier than knowing the right question.

I did as you said, but somthing went wrong:

Code:
    system failed to load kernel modules
    I tried to install the nvidia driver in the console version of yast, but it didn't work. I suppose this interface is to new for me. What can I do now. Is it possible to restore the machine to another day via snapper? I can see the system has made a snapshot of tuesday. That was before I started to mess with the gpus.

Dag R

Quote Originally Posted by dagring View Post
    Code:
    dagr@opensuse:~> inxi -GxxS
    System:Host: opensuse Kernel: 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.4.1
               Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.8 (Qt 5.9.7) dm: sddm,sddm Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.1
    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 7340 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:7340
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.3 ) drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 5500 XT version: 4.5.13581 19.50 (compat-v: 4.6.13581) Direct Render: Yes
    That looks like output from the ancient inxi provided by openSUSE 15.1 OSS, which provides confused report of X drivers and DM in use and no report of kernel driver. Inxi is simply a script. Install the one from TW OSS, or better yet, remove the rpm, and get the latest from upstream.

This is really depressing. A new card and not a proper driver. I have tried to unistall the amdgpu pro driver, and install a nvidia card, but it is but the "amdgpu-pro-uninstall" script does not work. I have installed the nvidia driver, but the machine will not boot into the graphic interface. I think the drivers are mixed up during boot. Could you point me in a direction to solve this? I want the nvidia card to work, and put the radeon card in [/QUOTE]I have no experience with amdgpu-pro installation or removal. My only experience with proprietary NVidia drivers is their removal. All my AMD and NVidia GPUs run purely on FOSS. All I can suggest is to purge all the proprietary software according to its own removal instructions, then try the NVidia GPU again.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Ok. I got rid of the nvidia prop driver and the amdgpu pro driver, and I get into the graphical interface. I now use the Nvidia card. Good, but mouse and network connection is not working. If you could tell me how to get the two things to work, I will be a large step in the right direction. Then I can set the screen resolution and check if all is in order.

It is some modules which is not loading in the boot process. I expect the mouse and network are among them.

Dag R

Blog Entries

Ideally, you should start new threads to deal with these issues. For the network issue (wired or wireless?), tell us more about the hardware details to begin with
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

I se your point. It is a little too much in this thread. I will tell you a little more before I make a new thread. I fixed the network and mouse. I choose a kernel with a lower version number in the boot sequence. Most things works with this kernel. Can I now delete the latest kernel in yast (Plasma) and then upgrade to the newest kernel?

Dag R

For AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT + AMDGPU-PRO: try it with updated X11 and standard 4.12 kernel.
    You may use this repo: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...USE_Leap_15.1/

For AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT + Mesa 3D: you need new kernel + new Mesa 3D.
    1. You may update kernel from stable repo (5.5 is available): https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...able/standard/
    2. You may update X11 + Mesa 3D using this repo: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...USE_Leap_15.1/
    Mesa 3D 19.3.3 is available.

Also possible you wlii need updated linux-firmware.

IMHO rigt now AMDGPU-PRO driver is preferable.

Thanks for the information. I have got the nVidia card and proprietary driver to work, so i put the Radeon card into another machine. I feel I have exhausted the forum with all my questions, so I'm very glad the nvidia card works ok.

Dag R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12