Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leap 15.2 dual boot with windows 7

Default Leap 15.2 dual boot with windows 7

Dear all,

my suse leap 42.3 root partition broke and I decided to buy a Msata drive and install a fresh copy of LEAP 15.2. Since all other partitions on the old hard drive are functional, I was wondering if it is possible to clone the widnows partition with dd on the new msata and make it function in a dual boot with LEAP 15.2. I use windows very rarely and would like not to invest time in installing it once again.
    In the past, I was always installing windows first and linux after. Therefore, I am not sure if the opposite is possible.

Thank you for your help

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 15.2 dual boot with windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by john_snow View Post
    Dear all,

my suse leap 42.3 root partition broke and I decided to buy a Msata drive and install a fresh copy of LEAP 15.2. Since all other partitions on the old hard drive are functional, I was wondering if it is possible to clone the widnows partition with dd on the new msata and make it function in a dual boot with LEAP 15.2. I use windows very rarely and would like not to invest time in installing it once again.
    In the past, I was always installing windows first and linux after. Therefore, I am not sure if the opposite is possible.

Thank you for your help
    Hi
    I think clonezilla may be a better option... but consider upgrading to windows 10 since 7 is EOL (free download/upgrade), or create a virtual machine and run windows in that?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Please be aware that 15.2 will not be released until end of May. During the development it might break ( having said that I test it in a VM and it's doing fine AFAICS )
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I think clonezilla may be a better option... but consider upgrading to windows 10 since 7 is EOL (free download/upgrade), or create a virtual machine and run windows in that?
    I would like to keep the dual boot and would like not to update. I don't go online with windows 7 so it should not be a problem.
    The question is a general one, will such a setup be possible. Will grub see windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Please be aware that 15.2 will not be released until end of May. During the development it might break ( having said that I test it in a VM and it's doing fine AFAICS )
    Well I guess that I can go with 15.1 and do zyper dup once 15.2 is out. The question with windows 7 remains. Will this strategy work?

Blog Entries

Well I guess that I can go with 15.1 and do zyper dup once 15.2 is out. The question with windows 7 remains. Will this strategy work?
    If meaning Windows first, then openSUSE .... yeah, that should work. No idea about Windows 7 forcing you to move to 10 though.

And ...... How about this one to upgrade ( 15.1 -> 15.2 is supported ), when 15.2 is released and you want to upgrade 15.1 to 15.2
    Code:
    sudo zypper --releasever 15.2 dup
    Tested this in a VM with only stock repos, and it worked like a charm.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I would like to keep the dual boot and would like not to update. I don't go online with windows 7 so it should not be a problem.
    The question is a general one, will such a setup be possible. Will grub see windows 7.
    Yes, this is very much possible. I have personally done something similar many times, but you have to be careful where to install the boot loader. Either MBR or the /EFI in the new mSATA drive.

First make sure and check if W7 is installed in Legacy or UEFI mode.

If Legacy (most W7 are installed this way),
    be sure to initiate/setup the mSATA with MBR and Legacy mode. You can use dd or clonezilla then to transfer W7 to the mSATA drive. Now, after the transfer you will have to do a bit of research on how to copy MBR from the old installation to the new one. Easiest option is to use a W7 recovery media to do its job.
    When this is done, you can then fresh install OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 in a new partition.

Just be careful as MBR partition table only allows 4 physical partitions.

If UEFI,
    use dd or clonezilla to copy the /efi partition of the W7 installation, and the main W7 installation, then install LEAP 15.2 in a new partition. There won't be limit on how many partition you can have for UEFI.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    Yes, this is very much possible. I have personally done something similar many times, but you have to be careful where to install the boot loader. Either MBR or the /EFI in the new mSATA drive.

First make sure and check if W7 is installed in Legacy or UEFI mode.

If Legacy (most W7 are installed this way),
    be sure to initiate/setup the mSATA with MBR and Legacy mode. You can use dd or clonezilla then to transfer W7 to the mSATA drive. Now, after the transfer you will have to do a bit of research on how to copy MBR from the old installation to the new one. Easiest option is to use a W7 recovery media to do its job.
    When this is done, you can then fresh install OpenSUSE LEAP 15.2 in a new partition.

Just be careful as MBR partition table only allows 4 physical partitions.

If UEFI,
    use dd or clonezilla to copy the /efi partition of the W7 installation, and the main W7 installation, then install LEAP 15.2 in a new partition. There won't be limit on how many partition you can have for UEFI.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have never done this before, so I have some follow-up questions.
    1) At which point the mSATA is setup in legacy mode. In the past I used to install suse on the space made available by shrinking the windows partition. This time it will be the other way round. I will be installing Linux first.
    2) I have no CD drive, is it possible to use the live usb to copy the MBR with dd?

You do not say whether both drives are to be permanently installed or you intend to replace the older drive with the new. Does the new drive have substantially more capacity.

During an installation or upgrade from a USB openSUSE image it is possible to press the <Ctrl><Alt><F2> keys to enter a virtual console logged in as root. This wil provide access to the essential command line tools like mount, dd, parted, fdisk etc.

If you do this before the installer writes the new partitiions, you could use fdisk or parted to determine which drive was which and then dd to copy the old to the new. You could then disconnect the old drive and start the insrallation again. This time you would be installing Leap after Windows. If anything goes wrong, you still have the old drive in its present state. When in the virtual console <Ctrl><Alt><F2> will return to the installation screen.

If the broken root partition beans a broken filesystem and there is no physical damage, Why not just install a new Leap into the existing root partition? This will reformat the partition and create a new filesystem. Once you are working you then have the opportunity of cloning to the new drive and adjusting partition sizes etc.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

~ knowing the right answer is easier than knowing the right question.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Consider the time spent so far and about to with cloning the drive (it will be hours copying too and from) versus just installing win7?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast