Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Recognize new PCI card

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Recognize new PCI card

    My new cheap motherbard only has two SATA connectors, so I added a Via Technologies PCI card with more. My BIOS does not show it, so I can't boot from it, but I can mount drives connected to it.

    lspci shows...
    Code:
    02:00.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE/SATA Controller (rev 50)
    Code:
    modprobe sata_via
    produces no results.

    Is there some way I can boot from it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,828
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Recognize new PCI card

    Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    My new cheap motherbard only has two SATA connectors, so I added a Via Technologies PCI card with more. My BIOS does not show it, so I can't boot from it, but I can mount drives connected to it.

    lspci shows...
    Code:
    02:00.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE/SATA Controller (rev 50)
    Code:
    modprobe sata_via
    produces no results.

    Is there some way I can boot from it?
    Hi
    Find another board? Does the system have PCIe X1/X4 or a PCIe-mini slot available?

    Looking on the web to get it to be bootable is to patch your BIOS, or check the M/B manufacturer for a BIOS update. Else boot from a drive that is recognized and use it as a RAID controller as it appears to be designed for.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Recognize new PCI card

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Find another board? Does the system have PCIe X1/X4 or a PCIe-mini slot available?

    Looking on the web to get it to be bootable is to patch your BIOS, or check the M/B manufacturer for a BIOS update. Else boot from a drive that is recognized and use it as a RAID controller as it appears to be designed for.
    Thanks. I'll try the RAID suggestion as I get uneasy with BIOS updating.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,828
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Recognize new PCI card

    Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Thanks. I'll try the RAID suggestion as I get uneasy with BIOS updating.
    Hi
    Sounds like the best solution
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,973

    Default Re: Recognize new PCI card

    IME such controllers are treated as SCSI devices, which need to have their own BIOS in order to be used for booting.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •