Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow GUI file manager on primary drive

Default Re: Slow GUI file manager on primary drive - SOLVED

Problem solved. It was something to do with either fstab or drive permissions or the way it was unmounted. I played around with fstab options and created a problem during boot. Rather than try to fix it on my main machine I externally mounted it on a raspberry pi. I then used an old version of fstab (~6 months old) and completely rewrote it from scratch. At the same time raspberry pi was showing some folder permissions as no access for other than root. So I changed all those. Finally I'm not sure I unmounted it from the raspberry pi last time so I made sure I did it properly this time. The system is working great now.

I suspect the problem was in fstab since the other two don't make sense, but then neither does fstab since I re-wrote it exactly as it was this morning (as far as I can tell). All in all a very strange problem for me - complete CLI access to everything but no GUI access. I did do a "zypper dup" as suggested, but even after 3 reboots that didn't change anything. It was only after a fresh rewrite of fstab that its completely back to normal.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions - very much appreciated. Finally, apologies to dcurtisfra who suggested re-looking at fstab and I dismissed that - you were correct.

Default Re: Slow GUI file manager on primary drive - SOLVED

Quote Originally Posted by rfmhunt View Post
    It was something to do with either fstab or drive permissions or the way it was unmounted.
    Actually, currently, the “YaST Partioner” does an acceptable job for most manipulation of the Partition Table and /etc/fstab.
    • Be certain about the device naming – for persistent naming of block devices use either “/dev/disk/by-id” or “/dev/disk/by-uuid”.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123