Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LibreOffice Impress with multiple displays

Hybrid View

Default LibreOffice Impress with multiple displays

I'm trying to use an external monitor to display the presentation of LibreOffice Impress.
    I've used both Leap 15.0 and Leap 15.1 on KDE with ATI graphics and also two brands of laptops and my desktop, and have tried HDMI and VGA. They all seem to suffer the same results. So I would think this means it's not a hardware issue. I've tried searching, but can't find much of anyone else having problems.

My attempts have resulted in the presentation presenter view on the main monitor or on the external monitor with no actual "presentation". I've used Slide Show settings selecting Display 2, Display 1, and All displays. By choosing "All Displays", I've had half of the presentation on one monitor and the other half on the other monitor. I've tried the system settings display and monitor using all the combinations I can think of with no better luck. It doesn't seem to be working the way I read it should.

From a base install of OpenSUSE and LibreOffice, what are the proper steps to get the presenter view on the main display and the presentation on the external display? Does something else need to be installed?

Blog Entries

Default Re: LibreOffice Impress with multiple displays

IMO
    Your problem won't be solved in anything related to Impress,
    It'll be in your KDE Display settings,
    Sounds like your monitor(s) aren't set to "clone" the main display which results in the second display configured as an extension of the first.

That is,
    Assuming that's the configuration you want which is for both monitors to display the same.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

The clone I tried was only one of the permutations I had attempted. That was the only one which resulted in "something" (or half of something) on the other monitor which was "kind of" like what it should be. (I wonder why it wasn't whole on both screens) Could very well be KDE. But with three different computers, it must be something not set up correctly, assuming that others can get it to work.

I have since found out that even the windows version of Impress has issues with certain external monitors. Using windows, I have tried many combinations and while I can see the desktop screen on the external monitor, it does not show the slide show unless I duplicate the monitors.

I have also used Leap 15.1, updated LibreOffice, and it doesn't work either. I adjusted the display settings resolutions, and certain lower resolutions would show part of the display on the external monitor. I believe same case with the Windows computer. But nothing like it is intended.

If LibreOffice Impress is supposed show a full screen on an external monitor, what am I doing wrong that 4 different computers, 3 different operating systems, does not display on the external monitor?

Blog Entries

I personally have run into one situation re: multiple monitors, and the solution was to manually configure the window displayed on each and every screen manually, it had nothing to to with the OS (running on MSWindows) or the application. There was no "full screen" option, only the necessity to manually configure the window to the exact pixels needed for that monitor. And, the windows had to be positioned accurately... The window would sometimes mis-align and you'd see the window slid off some edge.

I'd endorse each of your tries, I think I'd try those too in your situation.

I've also run into misc problems not just with Impress but also MS Powerpoint as a visiting speaker and of course don't know their equipment. Probably like most people, I just make do with whatever works which generally means just making sure the display the audience sees is working and I end up turning my head around a bit. But then, I almost never read directly off slides and people who do that would have a problem.

May or may not have anything to do with your requirements...

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    There was no "full screen" option, only the necessity to manually configure the window to the exact pixels needed for that monitor. And, the windows had to be positioned accurately... The window would sometimes mis-align and you'd see the window slid off some edge.
    Not sure I fully understand, but sounds like that describes it. The external monitor is larger and has more pixels and that's the default setting. What should I try - same as the laptop or just keep guess until something works half-acceptable?

And yes, I forgot to mention, arranging the monitors on the Display and Monitor system settings behaved in ways strange to me. Particularly odd to me was if they overlapped. Is that the expected behavior? I even placed one entirely within the other with interesting results. Should these monitor symbols be touching, overlapped, or not touching at all? I have little experience with more than one monitor so this behavior is all strange to me. And to fully test this, do I need to restart LibreOffice, re-login, reboot or should it be active on the fly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dt30 View Post
    Not sure I fully understand, but sounds like that describes it. The external monitor is larger and has more pixels and that's the default setting. What should I try - same as the laptop or just keep guess until something works half-acceptable?

And yes, I forgot to mention, arranging the monitors on the Display and Monitor system settings behaved in ways strange to me. Particularly odd to me was if they overlapped. Is that the expected behavior? I even placed one entirely within the other with interesting results. Should these monitor symbols be touching, overlapped, or not touching at all? I have little experience with more than one monitor so this behavior is all strange to me. And to fully test this, do I need to restart LibreOffice, re-login, reboot or should it be active on the fly?
    Like yourself, I tried everything I could think of including the things you describe but didn't find a solution so in that <one> case I just shrugged and did my best and left it at that. I don't have a proper answer, just saying I ran into that one time.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by dt30 View Post
    No comment about Plasma, since apparently it does funny things in this area.
    On Gnome I see that the two screens are always "touching", never overlapped or with any gaps, and changes are applied "on the fly" in general, while on Impress I may need to exit and re-enter "presentation mode" ( by ESC and then F5).
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Looks like I'm late to finding the bugs again.

Thanks for everyone's input. At least I know it's not something I'm failing to do correctly. So sounds like just try to figure out a combination that works and use it.

In my case, the laptop doesn't matter KDE or Gnome, so I might switch it and give it a try.

I made one last attempt at every resolution using one laptop and an external monitor. Nothing worked.

Then I installed Gnome and it worked as expected! I used the Gnome Classic as the other Gnome's I couldn't handle. Something about a blank screen is just too odd for me. Maybe just different, but I need buttons and switches, a start bar. And use, there was something at the top left, but I couldn't figure it out to change display settings and run office.

I then tried the other options included on the default login screen, but nothing helped there. I may have to try Xfce what I heard about.

Impress runs in "windowed", but I found out that isn't too useful as you can't really do anything else. What I'd really like is some sort of setup/software that allows you to have multiple windows and you click which one you want to send to the external monitor. But is that even possible? How is it determined what is sent out the external port?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast