Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copy configuration of the terminal style from YaST installer of openSUSE Tumbleweed

Default Re: Copy configuration of the terminal style from YaST installer of openSUSE Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by cnzhx View Post
    To be specific, I removed "1280x720x24,1024x768x24," from the line starting with "GRUB_GFXMODE=". After this, I ran,
    Code:
    # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    to rebuild the Grub.

Now, the display modes can be summarised as,
    1. Window-style console overlaying Grub menu, which is low-resolution with moderate text size, lasting about 2 seconds;
    2. Full-screen console with high-resolution and small text, lasting about 1 seconds;
    3. Full-screen console with low-resolution and big text (I think the font is ter-132n), lasting about 3 seconds;
    4. Full-screen console with high-resolution and moderate text size (this is the desired character size for my eyes), lasting about 3 seconds. This is almost the same display mode as that I want.
    Not sure if it applies to your problem, but you can check the supported video modes in grub2 with the command videoinfo (press C at the boot screen to enter grub2 console).
    I've had cases where the monitor native resolution was not supported and the boot messages where too small, or alternatively too big.
    Also note that using an unsupported mode in kernel settings makes no difference and does not give an error message AFAICS.

Default Re: Copy configuration of the terminal style from YaST installer of openSUSE Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    Not sure if it applies to your problem, but you can check the supported video modes in grub2 with the command videoinfo (press C at the boot screen to enter grub2 console).
    I've had cases where the monitor native resolution was not supported and the boot messages where too small, or alternatively too big.
    Also note that using an unsupported mode in kernel settings makes no difference and does not give an error message AFAICS.
    Thanks! I tried this but there is no command `videoinfo` in my system. /:sad:/
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Thanks! I tried this but there is no command `videoinfo` in my system. /:sad:/
    Alternatively,
    I'd expect a little research on your GPU should turn up that info.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

there is no command `videoinfo` in my system.
    Where did you look? It's on mine, a grub2-x86_64-efi shell command (not in any bash path).
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Alternatively,
    I'd expect a little research on your GPU should turn up that info.

TSU
    I've done that before but I cannot recall the process. The result is that I could not determine the mode my GPU support from the Grub. The CPU is an integrated one with Intel i7-7600U.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Where did you look? It's on mine, a grub2-x86_64-efi shell command (not in any bash path).
    Yes, I think it's a grub2-x86_64-efi shell. I reboot and press C when the grub menu showing up. After the grub> prompt, I entered videoinfo and pressed enter. Error says there is no such command.

Yes, I think it's a grub2-x86_64-efi shell. I reboot and press C when the grub menu showing up. After the grub> prompt, I entered videoinfo and pressed enter. Error says there is no such command.
    When in the Grub2 shell at the prompt, pressing <Tab> shows the available commands.

I have two rebootable machines at hand, both Grub2-EFI:
    1. Lenovo laptop, "Intel HD Graphics 5300", screen resolution: 3200x1800~60Hz, Leap-15.1
      “videoinfo” runs but produces no output.
    2. iMac retina, AMD Radeon R M385X, screen resolution 5120 x 2880, Tumbleweed-20200124
      “videoinfo” produces some output, but shows the only display resolution as “3840 x 2160 x 32".

Perhaps you need to force reinstall the grub2 packages.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

~ knowing the right answer is easier than knowing the right question.

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    When in the Grub2 shell at the prompt, pressing <Tab> shows the available commands.

I have two rebootable machines at hand, both Grub2-EFI:
    1. Lenovo laptop, "Intel HD Graphics 5300", screen resolution: 3200x1800~60Hz, Leap-15.1
      “videoinfo” runs but produces no output.
    2. iMac retina, AMD Radeon R M385X, screen resolution 5120 x 2880, Tumbleweed-20200124
      “videoinfo” produces some output, but shows the only display resolution as “3840 x 2160 x 32".

Perhaps you need to force reinstall the grub2 packages.
    Thank you. I tried, but it made no difference. There is no "videoinfo" command in the list of available commands. That's weird.

Thank you. I tried, but it made no difference. There is no "videoinfo" command in the list of available commands. That's weird.
    I agree, weird.
    Code:
    >  rpm -qa grub*

>  zypper lr -Eu
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Blog Entries

Doing some search for another Forum thread,
    I came across information likely related to this issue...

The Following SDB "Installing nVidia the hard way" applies to nVidia but in the Configuration section references numerous generic configurations in GRUB both with and without Plymouth that affects how the boot displays no matter what graphics card you have.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    ... but in the Configuration section references numerous generic configurations in GRUB both with and without Plymouth that affects how the boot displays no matter what graphics card you have.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way
    Interesting, thanks.
    Note that it refers to the grub shell command “vbeinfo”. I have just read that that only applies to non-EFI Grub. For EFI Grub it is “videoinfo”
    Perhaps cnzhx can tell us if his Grub has “vbeinfo”?
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast