Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc

Default How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc

How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc?

Hello i'm new OpenSUSE user and i have a question about installing nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc.
    i used Manjaro, Arch, and Ubuntu based linux distributions before and on Manjraro and Arch, i had the problem when i install nvidia graphic driver my pc won't boot, but on
    Ubuntu based Distibutions i was able to go to Driver Manager and just install it from there and it works prfectly.
    Thats why i need your help to install nvidia driver on OpenSUSE because i dont want to do anything on my own and mess up my Linux Installation.
    on Ubuntu based distros after installing nvidia graphic driver, when i open nvidia x settings i have two options nvidia high performance mode and Intel power saving mode.
    When i was on Manjaro my friend has told me that i should install optimus drivers because my laptop might be using optimus tehnology but that didnt work i also have to mention that
    when i had Windows 10 installed it did automatically detected drivers and installed both Intel and Nvidia so i really don't know what to do and how to install drivers on OpenSUSE.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc

Hi, welcome to these forums
    Let's first make sure you indeed have an Optimus configuration. Please show
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Code:
    viktor@localhost:~> sudo lspci
    [sudo] password for root: 
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Host Bridge (rev 0b)
    00:00.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 5a8c (rev 0b)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 500 (rev 0b)
    00:0e.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Audio Cluster (rev 0b)
    00:0f.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 0b)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SATA AHCI Controller (rev 0b)
    00:13.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #1 (rev fb)
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port A #2 (rev fb)
    00:14.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series PCI Express Port B #1 (rev fb)
    00:15.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series USB xHCI (rev 0b)
    00:16.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #1 (rev 0b)
    00:17.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series I2C Controller #5 (rev 0b)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series Low Pin Count Interface (rev 0b)
    00:1f.1 SMBus: Intel Corporation Celeron N3350/Pentium N4200/Atom E3900 Series SMBus Controller (rev 0b)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce 810M] (rev a1)
    03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
    i also made also made a post on reddit if that info is sueful
    https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...river_on_asus/

Hi and welcome to the openSUSE Forums.
    Your laptop seems similar to one I'm using and it is indeed likely that it has an Optimus architecture;(EDIT: your last post while I was typing confirms that).
    You should be able to install and use openSUSE out of the box without any Nvidia driver; you can use DRI_PRIME to engage the Nvidia chip through the Nouveau driver installed as default.
    Just open a terminal and issue a command like (for instance):
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo
    to engage the Nvidia chip and
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=0 glxinfo
    to see the same with the Intel integrated graphics.
    If that doesn't suit you, you have two choices depending on what you really need to do via the Nvidia graphics:
    - install Bumblebee ( please see https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee )
    - install SUSE Prime (please see https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_SUSE_Prime ).
    Please be aware that installing Nvidia drivers on openSUSE might be less straightforward than with some other distro (notably Ubuntu and Fedora), so be prepared to open a terminal and tweak your install if something doesn't work as expected.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I want to play some games on my nvidia gpu, but it uses intel gpu, fps is around 40, on ubuntu based distros i was able to get around 120 with Nvidia gpu
    so i want to do same on OpenSUSE because i'm going to use SUSE as my daily driver.

i remember when i did "suddo zypper dup" having to accept this
    idk does this means something but it might be useful info to know.

Code:
    In order to install 'Mesa-dri-nouveau', you must agree to terms of the following
     license agreement:

WARNING: Nouveau DRI/3D driver selected.

This driver is considered experimental and is known to have issues with
    applications that use certain 3D acceleration features of modern
    NVIDIA hardware.

Symptoms include application crashes or lockups & crashes of your system's
    graphical environment. Older Hardware and less demanding applications may work
    just fine and do benefit from the Hardware acceleration features this driver
    offers over software emulation.

Use of this driver is especially not recommended for use with the KDE Desktop
    Environment or Qt-based Applications.

The hardware vendor potentially offers alternative drivers.

Please click "Accept" if you accept the risks that may come with the
    installation of this driver. Choose "Cancel"  to prevent installation
    of the driver and use software emulation instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KamenkoTV View Post
    I want to play some games on my nvidia gpu, but it uses intel gpu, fps is around 40, on ubuntu based distros i was able to get around 120 with Nvidia gpu
    so i want to do same on OpenSUSE because i'm going to use SUSE as my daily driver.
    Not sure about the latest Ubuntu, but a couple of years ago comparable results were available installing SUSE Prime on the same HW.
    Please be aware that on Tumbleweed:
    - you need to logout and login again to change the GPU in use when using SUSE Prime (the same was true with Ubuntu if I recall correctly, though);
    - Tumbleweed is a rolling distro with quite frequent kernel updates and this might cause occasional hiccups with Nvidia drivers not updated at the same time.
    So if you are prepared to giving up gaming occasionally, Tumbleweed and SUSE Prime may be a viable solution.
    I would not recommend TW on a "game station" unless you are prepared to tweak your system a few times a year...
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

• i got this reddit help from VortexAcherontic

on reddit but it didnt worked, i did "prime-select nvidia" in terminal it told me to reboot to apply changes and i did. then i did "prime-select" nvidia again to make sure it works and output is shown on this picture: https://i.imgur.com/1cweJYA.png and i tought it works, but when i fire up Minecraft for example it still uses Intel gpu as shown on this picture: https://i.imgur.com/U8Cpp0A.png

1. Enable the NVidia repository (if not already)

• YaST

• Software Repositoreis

• Add

• Community-Repositories

• NVIDIA repository

• Install or Remove software

• install suse-prime (or suse-prime-bbswitch if you want to use power management on your GPU so that it is turned off if it is not used)

• Reboot

After this you should be able to switch GPUs by typing either:

Code:
    prime-select nvidia
    or

Code:
    prime-select intel
    There is a KDE widget to toggle GPUs via UI but that one didn't worked for me right in the past so I avoid it.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Did you install the nvidia driver? Can you show the output from the following;

Code:
    uname -a
    /sbin/modinfo nvidia |grep filename
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    If your system is up to date (20200116) and running the 5.4.10-1-default, hopefully the nvidia driver is working as it's only built for the old kernel.....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Code:
    viktor@localhost:~> uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 5.4.10-1-default #1 SMP Thu Jan 9 15:45:45 UTC 2020 (556a6fe) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

viktor@localhost:~> /sbin/modinfo nvidia |grep filename
    modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia not found.

viktor@localhost:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 500 [8086:5a85] (rev 0b)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:16a0]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    --
    03:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce 810M] [10de:0fee] (rev ff)
        Kernel modules: nouveau
    03:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller [10de:0e1b] (rev ff)
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast