Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc

Default Re: How to install nvidia graphic driver on asus vivobook max x541nc

Quote Originally Posted by KamenkoTV View Post
    i have some error when booting it takes me to command line instead of display manager and when i try to run startx i get error and when i run startx again it actually work and i'm able to use the computer.
    Please be aware that suse-prime can only boot in "Intel" mode, so what I used to do was:
    - boot in "Intel" mode;
    - open a terminal and run "prime-select nvidia"
    - log out and back in;
    - run "prime-select intel" before shutdown or reboot;
    - shutdown or reboot.

I also notice that on the Nvidia repo the driver are still built for the 5.3.12 kernel, while you are running a 5.4.10 kernel; I am not sure that such combination will work and cannot check at the moment (but it _might_ work depending on what changed between 5.3 and 5.4 kernels).
    Please confirm that you can boot and use normally your system in "Intel" mode; if not so, you may have damaged your X configuration. Please note that you must NOT use any Nvidia X-setup tool, X-config or such: those assume non-Optimus and non-Prime configurations.
    Also please confirm that you are not using Wayland, SUSE-Prime is only compatible with X11.
    Knowing what Desktop you are using might also be useful; Gnome uses Wayland by default and you may need to tweak its config.

Sorry, I'm not using Tumbleweed routinely and have no TW or Prime installed at the moment, so I must rely on (old) notes only.
    Leap 15.1 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

i also have trouble when i want to open any app gui with sudo command

Code:
    viktor@localhost:~> sudo mousepad /home/viktor/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.1.log
    [sudo] password for root: 
    Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
    Cannot open display:
    This is normal and unrelated to your trouble with Nvidia: if you try to open a GUI app via sudo, there is no X session open for the superuser to display the interface.
    But you can open a text app (like you did with "nano").
    I don't know why you tried to open a file in your home directory via sudo, but in general using GUI apps with superuser power is not recommended since it might damage the configuration of your current user in subtle ways...

BTW, the log you enclosed refers to the Intel graphics, so apparently the X server engaged the Intel: was suse-prime in "Intel" mode?
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

I switched to Lubuntu, I'm going to save money for a new pc (desktop) and my plan is to go with rayzen 3 and some Amd gpu which works well on OpenSUSE from what I know, anyways that you for helping.

I switched to Lubuntu...
    Thank you for saving me from the effort of installing and troubleshooting SUSE-Prime on Tumbleweed
    Anyway we are looking forward to read from you when back on openSUSE again. Have fun.
    testing Leap 15.2Beta

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123