Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: today's update problem

Default Re: today's update problem

Moving to the previous version of kernel-firmware might probably solve the problem.

At the moment there are four different kernel-firmware packages available in the openSUSE Leap 15.1 repositories

kernel-firmware | 20191118-lp151.2.9.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190618-lp151.2.6.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190312-lp151.2.3.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190118-lp151.1.10 | Main Repository

On my laptop i have openSUSE Tumbleweed as primary and openSUSE Leap 15.1 as fallback system. I keep the latter updated on a regular basis.

A few days ago openSUSE Leap 15.1 started to die very early in the boot process with a kernel panic (somewhere in the iwlwifi driver).

Last night i found out that reverting kernel-firmware 20191118-lp151.2.9.1 to kernel-firmware 20190618-lp151.2.6.1 removed the problem.

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Moving to the previous version of kernel-firmware might probably solve the problem.

At the moment there are four different kernel-firmware packages available in the openSUSE Leap 15.1 repositories

kernel-firmware | 20191118-lp151.2.9.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190618-lp151.2.6.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190312-lp151.2.3.1 | Main Update Repository
    kernel-firmware | 20190118-lp151.1.10 | Main Repository

On my laptop i have openSUSE Tumbleweed as primary and openSUSE Leap 15.1 as fallback system. I keep the latter updated on a regular basis.

A few days ago openSUSE Leap 15.1 started to die very early in the boot process with a kernel panic (somewhere in the iwlwifi driver).

Last night i found out that reverting kernel-firmware 20191118-lp151.2.9.1 to kernel-firmware 20190618-lp151.2.6.1 removed the problem.

Regards

susejunky
    I wish I could see your message earlier Leap was on my main machine and could not use it with that problem.
    I liked Leap and was great distro and I might back again if I don't feel comfortable with new distro, so just to learn more to solve such issues in future, can I do that kernel transition by YaST to deactivate it or I need to completely delete that kernel firmware ?

Quote Originally Posted by neocurve View Post
    ...just to learn more to solve such issues in future, can I do that kernel transition by YaST to deactivate it or I need to completely delete that kernel firmware ?
    Do you mean how to go back to an earlier version of a package as @susjunky did?

Start YaST > Software > Software Management. In the Search View search for the pcakage. At right select the package, then below select the Version tab. There you see the versions available as @susejunky showed them above. Choose the one you like and install. Then probably the best is to go back to that package and block it until you are sure a newer version is published that does have a patch for your problem.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by neocurve View Post
    ... so just to learn more to solve such issues in future, can I do that kernel transition by YaST to deactivate it or I need to completely delete that kernel firmware ?
    Basically it works as described by Henk van Velden in his post.

However if you are hit by the problem like i was and your system won't even boot anymore then a few additional steps are needed:

1. Boot from a different environment (like rescue system from the openSUSE installation DVD, openSUSE Live media, etc.)
    2. chroot into the not-working system
    3. use YaST to revert to the lower version of the kernel-firmware
    4. reboot (your "normal" system)
    5. use YaST to lock the kernel-firmware-package so that it is no longer updated

If you need any support just ask here.

Regards

susejunky

Blog Entries

May I please note that nothing will happen without a bug report? The packagers and devs hardly use these forums.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    May I please note that nothing will happen without a bug report? The packagers and devs hardly use these forums.
    Sorry, but my experience is that even with a bug report nothing will happen.

Considering the fact that Tumbleweed already got a newer Version of kernel-firmware (20200114-1.1 which works flawless) the problem might be gone before someone has a look at my bug report.

Sorry again, but NO i am not willing to waste my time on bugzilla reports any longer.

Regards

susejunky

Thanks to all of you for the great support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12