Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

Default Re: Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    I cannot login via virtual terminal either. (However credentials work in the standard terminal for privilege elevation, both root & regular.)
    Sorry, but let us try to use the same wording on both sides.

What is a "virtual terminal"? konsole (from KDE) or xterm or another emulator from within a desktop session?

What is the "standard terminal"?

But using a emulator (konsole/xtrem/...) from a grphical session, you do not need to log in, you are then already. Or do I miss something here?

We asked you to do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 to use the console.

Also I have problems to understand what you mean with: "(However credentials work in the standard terminal for privilege elevation, both root & regular.)". Apart from the clarification what you call the "standard terminal". Does this mean that can then change to username root (something you already told many times), but what is "regular"?

And please do not forget that when working from a terminal emulator with the GUI, you can then easily copy/paste from there between CODE tags her, so we can see and do not depend upon descriptions.
    Last edited by hcvv; 16-Jan-2020 at 04:52.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Looks like your system keyboard is diffferent from the one in KDE...... Please compare those two. In my case both of them are set to US English
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Sorry, but let us try to use the same wording on both sides.

What is a "virtual terminal"? konsole (from KDE) or xterm or another emulator from within a desktop session?

What is the "standard terminal"?

But using a emulator (konsole/xtrem/...) from a grphical session, you do not need to log in, you are then already. Or do I miss something here?

We asked you to do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 to use the console.

Also I have problems to understand what you mean with: "(However credentials work in the standard terminal for privilege elevation, both root & regular.)". Apart from the clarification what you call the "standard terminal". Does this mean that can then change to username root (something you already told many times), but what is "regular"?

And please do not forget that when working from a terminal emulator with the GUI, you can then easily copy/paste from there between CODE tags her, so we can see and do not depend upon descriptions.
    Ctrl + Alt + F1 through F6 will not accept credentials.
    Konsole accepts same credentials for priveledge elevation.
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad i7 ~ Linux Mint 19.3
    C2D Extreme QX9650 Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE

Ctrl + Alt + F1 through F6 will not accept credentials.
    Not for "normal" user, and not for root.
    Konsole accepts same credentials for priveledge elevation.
    Thus for root.

That would point in the direction of Knurphts idea.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

I also asked about whether you use pam_kwallet with KDE.

The reason I asked this, is that there was an earlier bug in Leap 15.1, which comes close to fitting your description. And uninstalling pam_kwallet fixed it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Not for "normal" user, and not for root.

Thus for root.

That would point in the direction of Knurphts idea.
    The system keyboard is set /etc/sysconfig/keyboard, in my case looks like this:
    Code:
    # The YaST-internal identifier of the attached keyboard.
    #
    YAST_KEYBOARD="english-us,pc104"
    In KDE Plasma5 it is defined in Systemsettings - Input devices - Keyboard layouts.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Thumbs up Re: Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

No provider of pam_kwallet.

Not a lot of differences between US/UK keyboards in my experience, the "@" & "£" are swapped?

A fresh install will log into a standard Plasma no problems but both types of Wayland session hang & do not load. So kinda useless.
    Upgrading & resetting repos changes nothing.
    I guess if this is not some paranoid wet dream of maliciousness with an owned system, if it ain't broke, & it still serves my needs perfectly well...
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]

Blog Entries

Troubleshooting recommendations...
    A possible consideration to speed up your troubleshooting is that when you fail a login, can you login with another account particularly root (just for troubleshooting, not recommending this practice for regular use)?

So, for instance if you can logout, then fail to login, and then login by another account, you can display all system events within the past 5 minutes which ought to return a clear error during your failed login.
    Code:
    journalctl --until "5 minutes ago"
    or the following which displays the last 100 entries
    Code:
    journalctl -n 100
    A wild guess might be that your failed logins sound like they're all related to logging in through your DM.
    If that's true, then that's not necessarily an indication the DM is the problem but by process of elimination you can try switching to another (eg from SDDM to LightDM or vice versa).
    In fact, that's an interesting idea... Is this your only installed Desktop, is this the only or are there other DE which are installed (and if so is this the originally installed DE?)?

You might also see if your problem is strictly local logon or try a remote logon (eg ssh) since that would authenticate differently... although you do seem to say that you have no problems authenticating within your KDE session, ie a windowed console like Konsole, and elevating to use something like YaST and then returning.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thanks. Yes you are correct, root login works. I may investigate further or just wait till Wayland is default! I did not clearly understand virtual terminal/shell/root/user. I have a clearer understanding now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12