Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

Unhappy Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

I cannot login to either via shell or to try out Wayland. The password is correct although I did change the hostname recently.
    The username & password work for zypper dup, YaST & su - jst not logging in. When installing the fish shell there was an issue with PAM:

Code:
    chsh -s /usr/bin/fish
    Password: 
    chsh: PAM: Authentication failure
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]
    X250 Lenovo Thinkpad i7 ~ Linux Mint 19.3
    C2D Extreme QX9650 Micro ATX Tower (2nd Main Board) ~ openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: Manual Login Not Accepting Correct User Credentials

If you cannot login, how are you able to run Yast?

If you go to a virtual terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1 for example), can you login there?

Is your desktop KDE, and are you using pam_kwallet?

It seems that something is messed up in the pam stack, but at this time it isn't clear what.

I am not having any problems. But I have not yet installed today's Tumbleweed update.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I am running KDE set to autologin. If I logout to try Wayland, I cannot log back in, have to reboot.
    Been this way for months, thought update may fix. Sudo & su - authentication work normally. Just not virtual terminal or manual login.
    Vintage IBM ThinkPad T21 (my first) laptop 1GHz PIII [T22 heatsink] ~ Silicon Heaven [RIP]

Blog Entries

Can you test whether it works with only the first 8 chars of your password? If so, check the YaST User and Group module, in the Users screen Advanced options, password encryption. If this is set to DES, you've been hit by a bug that's fixed now, set it to SHA-512
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Can you test whether it works with only the first 8 chars of your password? If so, check the YaST User and Group module, in the Users screen Advanced options, password encryption. If this is set to DES, you've been hit by a bug that's fixed now, set it to SHA-512
    Set to SHA512.
    My password is actually only 7 char?!?

I can change user & root passwords but to no affect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fleamour View Post
    Set to SHA512.
    My password is actually only 7 char?!?
    Then that was not the culprit. It was a mere guess, remembering something from the factory mailing list.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I have the time to nuke & pave, but shame as everything set up nicely. I changed root password to super secure whilst it getting some attention.

Isn't there some confusion?

You are telling that login using your "normal" user fails.

Then you explain that loging in as root works OK. Now that is fine to know (and to have), but that is not the problem.
    Then why do you change root's password (taking the risk that in an apparently abnormal situation connected to passwords, etc, it might offer an extra risk on blocking root from login also).

So, can we recap the situation that you can login using root and it's password.
    You can't using the username/password of (at least) one other user? But that user can login using "automatic login direct after boot".

Anyother users on the system that have the problem or not?

And you did not answer @nrickerts suggestion to log in using the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F2).
    Henk van Velden

I apologise, I'm probably not explaining it very well:

Autologin is working for singular user. (If I then log out, I have to reboot to trigger autologin again the GUI Login screen will not accept my credentials.)
    I cannot login via virtual terminal either. (However credentials work in the standard terminal for privilege elevation, both root & regular.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast