Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roolback to a prevoius version of TW

Default Roolback to a prevoius version of TW

Hi,
    I recently started my first installation of TW because LEap 15.1 (kernel 4) doesn't support WiFi card.
    Tuning up of TW takes some hours but everything work(ed) fine until this evening.
    I upgraded (zypper dup) from 20200101 (kernel 5.3) to 20200108 (kernel 5.4) and two big issues 'freeze' me :
    - vmware player doesn't compile anymore;
    - no sound card is detected;

I googled a little and I understand that the solution for vmware (if it works) is not so easy for my knowledge so I decide that it's better to return back to TW version 20200101.
    So my question is : how can I return to previous version (and kernel 5.3) ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Roolback to a prevoius version of TW

Hi,

1. Use btrfs tools:
    Code:
    sudo snapper list
    sudo snapper rollback ###
    where ### is the snapshot number before the update

2. Install tumbleweed-cli, then do:
    Code:
    tumbleweed --help
    It will tell you how to roll back to a previous snapshot.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRiservo View Post
    Hi,
    I recently started my first installation of TW because LEap 15.1 (kernel 4) doesn't support WiFi card.
    Tuning up of TW takes some hours but everything work(ed) fine until this evening.
    I upgraded (zypper dup) from 20200101 (kernel 5.3) to 20200108 (kernel 5.4) and two big issues 'freeze' me :
    - vmware player doesn't compile anymore;
    - no sound card is detected;

I googled a little and I understand that the solution for vmware (if it works) is not so easy for my knowledge so I decide that it's better to return back to TW version 20200101.
    So my question is : how can I return to previous version (and kernel 5.3) ?
    Hi
    For your original issue I'm sure a bug report would have highlighted the wireless issue for the openSUSE Kernel folks and they may have backported fixes so it worked in Leap 15.1?

If your wanting to stick with Tumbleweed, then what your seeing is the fallout from (at times) running a rolling release, there is some expectation that Tumbleweed users can fix those sorts of issues, likely a patch and rebuild of some modules to get it working?

Consider the built in virtualization (libvirt,kvm,qemu)? If you need a GUI and running GNOME, look at gnome-boxes? If running a different desktop, maybe they have some pre-built virtualization tools?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

If you upgraded rather than installing fresh, your Grub menu should still offer you to boot a previous kernel. Did you try it?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Hi and thanks for your replies.
    Surely I did not give a full description of my system(s) and the way I 'have' to follow.

When I started to play with Linux I was addressed to openSuse (it was the time of 10.3) by a friend of mine and thank to him a learnt the basis of Linux.
    Through the years I have become a little bit more experienced user and the acquired knowledge drove me to switch all PCs of my little firm on openSUSE. I'm satisfied of this choice because I (we) can manage our IT infrastructure in a rational way but, you cant imagine how is difficult to exchange MS documents with other firm (Excel & Word files are really a big mess to manage with LibreOffice - fonts and layout sometime make us crazy) ...

All PCs use ext4 as filesystem so I haven't btrfs snapshot (Knurpht forgive me for this lack of info).
    All PCs use KDE as desktop (Malcom forgive me for this lack of info).
    All PCs (except 2) use openSUSE from 42.2 to 15.1.
    Some PCs use vmware player with some Win machine (as part of our job we develop automation sw on PLC, HMI, Scada application). I cannot move to another virtualizer (likely) without rebuild from scratch all Win Machine (it takes time but in most cases surely I would encounter a lot of problems with sw licence of our development tools). Maybe exist tools for converting a vm image from vmware to another virtualizer but I prefer to stick with what I know.

Last 2 PCs I've bought are HP Elitebook 830 G6 and they forced me to abandon the 'slow but stable' path of Leap simply because kernel 4 doesn't support the WiFi card (Intel ax200 - supported from kernel 5.1 onward).
    I tried to use Leap15.1 with latest kernel (5.4) as suggested here in the forum but I did not have a working vmware player.
    After that I tried Tumbleweed and until release 20200101 (witch has kernel 5.3) everything worked.
    The new kernel (5.4) broke vmware player 15.5.1 (latest available at moment of writing) and gives also no sound card detected (this is an issue 'acceptable'). Googling I see this https://communities.vmware.com/thread/623768 but sincerely I'm afraid of dealing with recompilation ....

mrmazda, yes I booted to previous version of kernel and it works.
    For removing the boot entry of Kernel 5.4 is it enough (within kernel 5.3) to run
    Code:
    dracut -f
    or
     mkinitrd
    or you suggest something different?

Blog Entries

Hi
    With respect to virtualization, you could test by making a copy of one machine, but should not have to rebuild anything....

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_T..._Vmware_To_KVM
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hi,

1. Use btrfs tools:
    Code:
    sudo snapper list
    sudo snapper rollback ###
    where ### is the snapshot number before the update

2. Install tumbleweed-cli, then do:
    Code:
    tumbleweed --help
    It will tell you how to roll back to a previous snapshot.
    I've no btrfs filesystem, does tumbleweed-cli also work without it ?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    With respect to virtualization, you could test by making a copy of one machine, but should not have to rebuild anything....

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_T..._Vmware_To_KVM
    Hi Malcom,
    it seems interesting .... I'll give a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRiservo View Post
    For removing the boot entry of Kernel 5.4 is it enough (within kernel 5.3) to run
    Code:
    dracut -f
    or
     mkinitrd
    or you suggest something different?
    Something different. Removing kernel 5.4 will rebuild the Grub menu. I would go further and lock down using chattr the current 5.3 initrd so that any future updates won't risk destroying 5.3 bootability. Once an initrd has been used to boot successfully, I make the initrd immutable. I only allow already installed kernel's initrds to be regenerated if there is a specifically known need to do so, such as happened two days ago when I migrated from SSD to NVME and the old initrds lacked NVME support.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Something different. Removing kernel 5.4 will rebuild the Grub menu. I would go further and lock down using chattr the current 5.3 initrd so that any future updates won't risk destroying 5.3 bootability. Once an initrd has been used to boot successfully, I make the initrd immutable. I only allow already installed kernel's initrds to be regenerated if there is a specifically known need to do so, such as happened two days ago when I migrated from SSD to NVME and the old initrds lacked NVME support.
    So If I correctly understand you suggest to :
    - boot with kernel 5.3
    - uninstall kernel 5.4 (with Yast so also initrd comes rebuilt)
    - reboot
    - lock initrd with chattr +i for preventing further (unwanted) upgrade of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast