Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

  1. #1

    Default How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Hi!

    In May I'd like to install openSuse Leap 15.2 and my notebook (Thinkpad T 450s) has no cd drive. So I need to put an installation medium on an USB stick.

    Today I updated the BIOS of the said notebook and it was a hassle to get an USB stick with a working image on it.


    • Imagewriter refused to write the image "jbdujxy.iso" on the USB stick for unknown reasons.
    • There is no official genisoimage (including geteltorito) package on software.opensuse.org


    So how am I supposed to produce an USB stick for a new installation or a BIOS update these days?

    Or did I miss something?

    Regards,

    Alexander

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,682
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    On the same page where you download your ISO for the particular version of openSUSE, scroll down the page a bit and you you'll see a link to a page describing the recommended procedure

    For example,
    Since you're asking about LEAP, the following is the page (from software.opensuse.org) for LEAP

    https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    On the same page where you download your ISO for the particular version of openSUSE, scroll down the page a bit and you you'll see a link to a page describing the recommended procedure

    For example,
    Since you're asking about LEAP, the following is the page (from software.opensuse.org) for LEAP

    https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap

    TSU
    Well, yes and no. If imagewriter fails, as it has happened with the *.iso file for the BIOS update, we run out of alternatives. Fortunately there was a home: repo containing the genisoimage software.

    I'll suggest on the factory mailinglist to include genisoimage.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,682
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie170 View Post
    Well, yes and no. If imagewriter fails, as it has happened with the *.iso file for the BIOS update, we run out of alternatives. Fortunately there was a home: repo containing the genisoimage software.

    I'll suggest on the factory mailinglist to include genisoimage.
    If you need genisoimage,

    https://software.opensuse.org/package/genisoimage

    Are you saying you don't want to use any of these packages?
    If you look up genisoimage, it's created only for Debian. It's available only in openSUSE because someone is putting in some extra work.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,785

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    If working from Linux I just use cp xyz.iso /dev/sdX where is sdX is the USB device

    From Windows https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html seems like a good program

    The trick is to copy the binary image direct to the device not to a partition on the device.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you need genisoimage,

    https://software.opensuse.org/package/genisoimage

    Are you saying you don't want to use any of these packages?
    If you look up genisoimage, it's created only for Debian. It's available only in openSUSE because someone is putting in some extra work.

    TSU
    If I try to install it from the tumbleweed repo, Yast tells me something like "nothing to do for Leap 15.1". So my resort was the Sauerland repo.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If working from Linux I just use cp xyz.iso /dev/sdX where is sdX is the USB device

    From Windows https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html seems like a good program

    The trick is to copy the binary image direct to the device not to a partition on the device.
    Working from Linux here. So just take the USB stick, format it with FAT32, copy the *.iso as root on it and go?

    Why on earth then bother with imagewriter or whatever?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,569

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie170 View Post
    Working from Linux here. So just take the USB stick, format it with FAT32, copy the *.iso as root on it and go?

    Why on earth then bother with imagewriter or whatever?
    That is nonsense. Why "format" it? That will be overwritten on copying the ISO!

    Just
    Code:
    dd if=filename.osi of=/dev/sdx
    Some even use cp instead of dd (as noted above), so easy is it.

    That imagewriter is IMHO only for non-Linux users.

    Note: the fact that you had problems in making a bootable USB memory device from a random chosen ISO file is no reason to condemn the tool you used. We have no details on how you used the tool, what the ISO was, etc. So we have no information on what went ewronmg, nor can we help you with this without more details. The conclusion that the tool is useless is thus yours.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is nonsense. Why "format" it? That will be overwritten on copying the ISO!

    Just
    Code:
    dd if=filename.osi of=/dev/sdx
    Aha, ISO brings a filesytem with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That imagewriter is IMHO only for non-Linux users.
    I doubt that, see here https://en.opensuse.org/Create_installation_USB_stick and here https://thinkwiki.de/BIOS-Update_ohn...rk_unter_Linux

    So from my understanding you seem to contradict to the information of those websites. ...Which doesn't mean that you are wrong, but however, for a user like me things are more difficult than necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Note: the fact that you had problems in making a bootable USB memory device from a random chosen ISO file is no reason to condemn the tool you used. We have no details on how you used the tool, what the ISO was, etc. So we have no information on what went ewronmg, nor can we help you with this without more details. The conclusion that the tool is useless is thus yours.
    It depends on the ISO file? Why and how should a USER (!) start investigating whether ISO files from Lenovo for a BIOS update were appropriate for an openSuse tool?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,491
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

    Hi
    Seems pretty easy?
    https://tojaj.com/lenovo-biosuefi-up...t-bootable-cd/

    For HP systems, just copy to the efi partition BIOS update location and reboot (or can do it from a USB device).... for this intel board just copy the bin file to a fat device and reboot and press F10 to select updating BIOS...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •