Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Seems pretty easy?
    https://tojaj.com/lenovo-biosuefi-up...t-bootable-cd/

For HP systems, just copy to the efi partition BIOS update location and reboot (or can do it from a USB device).... for this intel board just copy the bin file to a fat device and reboot and press F10 to select updating BIOS...
    Yes, but the goal is not to take a perl script from anywhere in the internet to install a BIOS update. I had even some reservation to use the script from an openSuse home repo.

That's what I'm talking about: There should be an official package of anything in Leap 15.2 to update a BIOS and produce an USB stick as well for installing the OS.

However, if I understand things right, the whole thing isn't needed, I just copy the ISO file to the USB stick?! See, people get somewhat angry if they brick their gadgets...

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to produce USB stick for Bios update or new install of OS today?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie170 View Post
    Yes, but the goal is not to take a perl script from anywhere in the internet to install a BIOS update. I had even some reservation to use the script from an openSuse home repo.

That's what I'm talking about: There should be an official package of anything in Leap 15.2 to update a BIOS and produce an USB stick as well for installing the OS.

However, if I understand things right, the whole thing isn't needed, I just copy the ISO file to the USB stick?! See, people get somewhat angry if they brick their gadgets...
    Hi
    Well there is fwupdmgr and fwupd, which AFAIK is planned to do BIOS updates, at present just firmware... But at the end of the day it's really a manufacturer driven thing.....

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fwupd
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12