init level 3 login issues

All,

I am not sure if this issue has been discussed in the past (searches turned up zero relevant hits) so here goes. I am able to login as both root and a typical user when the system starts up at run level 5, however, I can’t when the system fires up at either level 1 or 3. For both users, I always get invalid password errors. See https://pasteboard.co/IP1Sn14.jpg. Currently I am investigating in a VM, but the host also experiences the same issues. If this has been discussed, I do apologize and a link to the resolution would be appreciated.

Tim

Hi
That would normally indicate numlock (not capslock from your image) is enabled in either multi-user (runlevel 3) or graphical (runlevel 5). Or a keyboard issue in a tty…

I have verified that it not either the numlock or caplock. I am intrigued by your tty reference. If there was an issue in that configuration, would it not also present itself in init 5 where the system is able to validate the password?

Hi
As a test if in the username you type the password it’s all ok too?

If in you GUI session if you open a terminal you can switch to root user, if you press ctrl+alt+F1 a tty should open, here you can login? press ctrl+alt+F7 or F8 to get back to the GUI session.

Nothing special with the locale settings?

localectl status

After some experimentation, I have found that if I remove numbers from the passwords that I can then log onto the system. I am also not using the extended number pad but the number keys above the normal letter keys. I have confirmed the keyboard setup in Yast as English US and the test entries appear correct.

Hi
That sounds like a keyboard mapping issue. If you change out with a different keyboard (if you can) does it start working?

As root user run the following in a terminal from the GUI, then in a tty;

hwinfo --keyboard

All the info the same?

I wish I had another keyboard to try, but I don’t. Here is what I get from the command:

15: PS/2 00.0: 10800 Keyboard                                   
  [Created at input.226]
  Unique ID: nLyy.+49ps10DtUF
  Hardware Class: keyboard
  Model: "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
  Vendor: 0x0001 
  Device: 0x0001 "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
  Compatible to: int 0x0211 0x0001
  Device File: /dev/input/event0
  Device Number: char 13:64
  Driver Info #0:
    XkbRules: xfree86
    XkbModel: pc104
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

To me, that seems as generic as it comes so no idea why the number keys are accepted.

Hi
This is a PS/2 keyboard, not USB… and in the virtual machine or real hardware?

Might be time for a bug report…?

The keyboard is USB, but being presented as PS/2 via VMWare Workstation…which answers your second question. In this instance, it is a virtual machine.
If I run the command on the host which is also openSUSE, I get:

workstation:/usr/bin # hwinfo --keyboard
20: USB 00.0: 10800 Keyboard                                    
  [Created at usb.122]
  Unique ID: Uc5H.K6PW6TWtOA0
  Parent ID: k4bc._63LoM0erv2
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/usb1/1-4/1-4:1.0
  SysFS BusID: 1-4:1.0
  Hardware Class: keyboard
  Model: "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0"
  Hotplug: USB
  Vendor: usb 0x045e "Microsoft Corp."
  Device: usb 0x00db "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0"
  Revision: "1.73"
  Driver: "usbhid"
  Driver Modules: "usbhid"
  Device File: /dev/input/event13
  Device Files: /dev/input/event13, /dev/input/by-id/usb-Microsoft_Natural®_Ergonomic_Keyboard_4000-event-kbd, /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:10.0-usb-0:4:1.0-event-kbd
  Device Number: char 13:77
  Speed: 1.5 Mbps
  Module Alias: "usb:v045Ep00DBd0173dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip01in00"
  Driver Info #0:
    XkbRules: xfree86
    XkbModel: pc104
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #19 (Hub)

What is odd is that the host also experiences the same darn issue.

Here is what I get:

workstation:/usr/bin # localectl status
   System Locale: LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: us
      X11 Layout: us

Hi
If you could borrow another keyboard, should tell if it’s a hardware issue, have you tried other USB ports in the system?

I can try to see if I can dig up another keyboard, but I have tried other USB ports with the same results.

Hi
Sounds good if you can test another keyboard :wink:

Does change anything if you try, in a konsole as normal user, the following command ?

setxkbmap

I ask this because I have to bear with a tedious & very very very random bug with keyboard right shift button (as far as I can remember the issue is ‘working’ since openSUSE 13).
This is the scenario :

• openSUSE as host (13.0 -> 15.1 & Tumbleweed)
  • I run as VM (vmware player from version 5 to 15.5.1) a Windows machine (it can be XP or Seven)
  • sometime, but in a very random & not reproducible way, in the host OS the right shift button stop to work (left button works)
    The simple solution, in my case, is the above command.
    Likely is not the panacea for you because your issue is at level3 and not at level5 … but we (in Italy) use to say “trying doesn’t not harm”

At this point, I appreciate any suggestion :slight_smile:

As we expected, there is no change. I still need to dig up a different keyboard, and see if that fixes the issue.

Hi
If the one you dig up works, then if you try the current keyboard on another system and see if it works or not, then can confirm it’s either a hardware issue or a system issue.