Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volume level changing by itself

Default Volume level changing by itself

Hello everyone.
    I am using an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome DE on a laptop probably no one of you know (a “JDM” machine I’ve bough during my vacation, a Mouse convertible without proper name, partnumber BC-MB1485UD11A-191), and it is surprisingly good experience except for some minor problems I’ve already worked around.
    BUT one issue persists, and it is quite annoying: volume level changes itself up and down all the time. It’s not flataudio or whatever that’s called properly, it’s like reacting to me pressing a volume up/down hotkey, except that I am not. Showkey and similar software shows a corresponding hotkey being pressed and lifted by itself, when I just leave my laptop lying to see what happens.
    I’ve came across Arch forum thread where they had a somewhat similar problem and traced it down to peaq_wmi and input_polldev modules, but that bug was allegedly fixed in 4.14.smth kernel, and I am on 5.3.12-2. Blacklisting that 2 modules didn’t change anything for me.
    So, where should I look next?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Volume level changing by itself

Quote Originally Posted by Bitals View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I am using an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with Gnome DE on a laptop probably no one of you know (a “JDM” machine I’ve bough during my vacation, a Mouse convertible without proper name, partnumber BC-MB1485UD11A-191), and it is surprisingly good experience except for some minor problems I’ve already worked around.
    BUT one issue persists, and it is quite annoying: volume level changes itself up and down all the time. It’s not flataudio or whatever that’s called properly, it’s like reacting to me pressing a volume up/down hotkey, except that I am not. Showkey and similar software shows a corresponding hotkey being pressed and lifted by itself, when I just leave my laptop lying to see what happens.
    I’ve came across Arch forum thread where they had a somewhat similar problem and traced it down to peaq_wmi and input_polldev modules, but that bug was allegedly fixed in 4.14.smth kernel, and I am on 5.3.12-2. Blacklisting that 2 modules didn’t change anything for me.
    So, where should I look next?
    Hi and welcome to the Forum
    A bug report for sure against the kernel and peaq_wmi module.

See here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Post the bug report number here as well
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi and welcome to the Forum
    A bug report for sure against the kernel and peaq_wmi module.

See here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Post the bug report number here as well
    Thank you.
    I marked that I blacklisted that module and the problem is still present, so I do not think it is to blame here.

Blog Entries

Thank you.
    I marked that I blacklisted that module and the problem is still present, so I do not think it is to blame here.
    Hi
    Can you un-blacklist it, rebuild initrd. Create a test user and login as that user, does it duplicate?

Pulse has a setting in
    /etc/pulse/daemon.conf which may be affecting you.

You could try setting that to no and see if that behaviour is more desirable.

flat-volumes - scales the device-volume with the volume of the "loudest" application. For example, raising the VoIP call volume will raise the hardware volume and adjust the music-player volume so it stays where it was, without having to lower the volume of the music-player manually. Defaults to yes

Oh Wait I see you're saying it's not flataudio which I assume is pulse flat-volumes so sorry I guess that's not the issue you're experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyU2 View Post
    Oh Wait I see you're saying it's not flataudio which I assume is pulse flat-volumes so sorry I guess that's not the issue you're experiencing.
    Yes, I meant flat-volumes, sorry. This is the first suggestion I've found googling and it's set to "no" for about 2 weeks now, but the volume level still jumps around every 2-5 minutes.

I've used the laptop with BT headphones just to be sure, the issue persists. Showkey tells that keypresses with codes 154/153 corresponding to “volume down”/“volume up” are being registered. There are 2 standard ways to send them, via Fn+F7/F8 or via dedicated volume up/down buttons on the left side of the chassis (makes sense since it’s a convertible). Keycodes registered are identical for both variants. So the output device/interface/controller seems to not affect this in any way.

I've resurrected the Windows bootloader on this machine an tried to use it for about an hour, there were zero instances of volume changing without me pressing the needed keys, so it convinces me the laptop hardware is not to blame here, and the issue is Linux-specific.

I'll try the suggestion for unblacklisting two mentioned above modules and creating a new user.

Hi
    Can you un-blacklist it, rebuild initrd. Create a test user and login as that user, does it duplicate?
    Hello and sorry for the delayed answer, been pretty busy at work.

I modprobed input_polldev successfully, but peaq_wmi gave an error:

Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'peaq_wmi': No such device
    Updated kernel with input_polldev, rebooted, still have the error above. Do you have any ideas about this?

Blog Entries

Hello and sorry for the delayed answer, been pretty busy at work.

I modprobed input_polldev successfully, but peaq_wmi gave an error:

Code:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'peaq_wmi': No such device
    Updated kernel with input_polldev, rebooted, still have the error above. Do you have any ideas about this?
    Hi
    You need to unblacklist the device and the rebuild initrd to ensure the boot process/udev rules etc can function. The try the test user.

Hi
    You need to unblacklist the device and the rebuild initrd to ensure the boot process/udev rules etc can function. The try the test user.
    I didn't blacklist the device (not intentionally, at least), I only removed (synonymous to blacklisting as I understood) the modules with modprobe -r.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast