Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE 13.1 have to restore Grub

Default Re: openSUSE 13.1 have to restore Grub

Sorry for being more or less a noob on Grub.

The situation of a few things as it is now:
    Boot flag is on sda2.
    I use ncurses yast in the chrooted 13.1. Boot module.
    There is a main list there where I have Boot from MBR.
    There is a more detailed screen behind it (which also shows kernel parameters, boot screen timers, etc.) where I checked both
    . Set active flag in Partition table for Boot partition
    . Write generic Boot code to MBR.
    yast says it writes things and it takes a few secs, thus I assume something is done.
    This gives still the grub menu belonging to the 15.1 installtion on boot .
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As best I remember, grub legacy uses "/boot/grub/menu.lst" (or maybe just "/boot/menu.lst" for the boot menu. And grub2 uses "/boot/grub2/grub.cfg".
    II think that is correct.

But on this 13.1 system there is no menu.list at all and there is a/boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it now has a date time of today because of my last action with yast this morning. Thus we can be sure that this is all about grub2 and dismiss the idea that 13.1 used legacy grub. This was just a confusing side path .

BTW, I inspected that grub.cfg and it contains only menu entries for 13.1. Thus that is the one I would like to see used on boot. It is there, but how can I force the system to use it??
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    There is a main list there where I have Boot from MBR.
    Write generic Boot code to MBR.
    These two are incompatible with each other. Boot from MBR generally means put Grub on MBR, but that would overwrite the generic code. The organization of those options since 13.1 has been improved. You need to choose one or the other. You need the boot flag on sda2 if MBR contains generic code and Grub is on root partition sda2. If booting from MBR with Grub on MBR, everything else should be unchecked.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.1,TW,15.2 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&15.1 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    These two are incompatible with each other. Boot from MBR generally means put Grub on MBR, but that would overwrite the generic code. The organization of those options since 13.1 has been improved. You need to choose one or the other. You need the boot flag on sda2 if MBR contains generic code and Grub is on root partition sda2. If booting from MBR with Grub on MBR, everything else should be unchecked.
    I changed "Boot from MBR" into "Boot from root partition" leaving other thing as they were explained above. No luck.
    Henk van Velden

@mrmazda.

Let me try to express what I understand from this.

In the MBR there can be so called "generic boot code", which means that there can also be some specific boot code.

I assume my situaton is that in the MBR there is now 15.1 specific boot code and that there should be generic boot code.

For some reason the writing of this generic boot code (overwriting the 15.1 boot code) does not work.

Am I right that the crucial question is how we can force that?
    Doing it with YaST bootloader from the chrooted 13.1 seems to fail.
    I assume that in principle doing it from 15.1 must also be possible, after all it is the same MBR and the code is generic in both cases.
    (The 15.1 has the problem that KDE does not work, so again ncurses yast must do it).
    Henk van Velden

I use 15.1 and set Generic boot code to MBR. Now the system says:
    Missing Operating System

ERROR: No boot disk has been detected ....
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I changed "Boot from MBR" into "Boot from root partition" leaving other thing as they were explained above. No luck.
    Boot from root partition does require a form of chainloading, either from another bootloader, or by having generic code in the MBR and the boot flag on the applicable sda2 partition.
    Tertiary: TW,15.2,15.1,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Boot from root partition does require a form of chainloading, either from another bootloader, or by having generic code in the MBR and the boot flag on the applicable sda2 partition.
    But it does not work!

I tried to recover using the 15.1 installation DVD as a rescue system chroot into the 15.1. Removed the Write Generic Boot code to MBR check. Dit not help, still no operating system found.

But removing the check might only skip writing generic code, But how do I force writing specific code? Apperently ther is now "nothing" in the MBR.
    Henk van Velden

I would do as you see in these two images:
    http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/YaST/131...BLinst768v.png
    http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/YaST/131...BLopts768v.png

Be sure to increase or decrease the timeout to ensure YaST2 writes as it should.

I would do as you see in these two images:
    http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/YaST/131...BLinst768v.png
    http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/Suse/YaST/131...BLopts768v.png

Be sure to increase or decrease the timeout to ensure YaST2 writes as it should.
    Thanks for those clear confirmation on what to do.

It is in fact what I did already in yast ncurses. Except that I changed the splash parameter to be sure something was changed and write enforced.

Nevertheless I tried again. This time with a change of the Timeout parameter. Still no bootable disk found by the BIOS.
    Did it chrooting in both systems, one after the other, cheking in both cases (I get thick fingers from typing those mnt --bind, etc)

I find it very strange that yast does not write at least something into the MBR that gives us a Grub.

I think my only option now is reinstalling 15.1. Which I would have done earlier, but it will bring me most probably not any further then the situation at the start of this thread: A bootable 15.1 (no working KDE) and something that looks like booting of 13.1 but that then stucks in a black screen where I only could get out with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast