Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: error: unknown filesystem on Leap 42.3 / winwos 7 dual boot system

Default Re: error: unknown filesystem on Leap 42.3 / winwos 7 dual boot system

OK then. IMHO at the start of sda5 there is a hardware problem of the disk.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That would be my best guess, too.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Originally Posted by hcvv

That would be my best guess, too.
    Is it possible to solve this by software means? Shrink and/or reinstall only the root, to avoid the bad sectors.

Alternatively if the above won't work:
    I was thinking about moving from hdd to msata. In this case I could fresh install the latest version 15.1.
    I can imagine how to copy the data from the old user home. However I would like to somehow keep the old windows install.
    I presume, that it is possible, while installing Suse 15.1, to create one partition of the same size as the windows partition on the broken hard drive and use dd to copy the contents of the old /dev/sda2 to it (the size of the windows partition now is about 118 GB). However, is it possible to make grub from 15.1 see this copy and boot windows from it?

I would try using ddrescue or dd_rescue from live media boot to clone the whole HDD to the SSD, disconnect the HDD, make sure Windows boots from it, then if successful, install 15.1 to a freshly formatted sda5 on the SSD.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I would try using ddrescue or dd_rescue from live media boot to clone the whole HDD to the SSD, disconnect the HDD, make sure Windows boots from it, then if successful, install 15.1 to a freshly formatted sda5 on the SSD.
    I have not done this before, so I would need some guidance. I would like also to understand why cloning only the windows partition won't work. My confusion is caused by the fact that the msata ssd will have twice the capacity of the old hdd. What will happen with the extra volume?

Quote Originally Posted by john_snow View Post
    I have not done this before, so I would need some guidance.
    They are basically dd augmented to try to recover data from bad sectors. This summarizes the difference between the two. Anything more you need would be in the man page for the one you choose to use, and in ample search hits. I use one so infrequently I don't remember which I chose to use last, so usually have to search to decide which to use. ATM I have both installed, packages dd_rescue and gnu_ddrescue.

I would like also to understand why cloning only the windows partition won't work.
    It might. The difference is reduced change in context that could make Windows object to the new surroundings, and the extra work involved to make a second try if it does. I do a lot of cloning, both whole disks and individual partitions, but it rarely involves Windows.

My confusion is caused by the fact that the msata ssd will have twice the capacity of the old hdd. What will happen with the extra volume?
    You get to choose. You could move the existing sda6 and/or sda7 into it, allowing to expand sda5 and/or sda6 before installing 15.1. You could create one or more new partitions. You could leave it unallocated for use to be determined in the future. Or you could delete sda7, move sda6 into it and expand it, then create a new swap in the newly created space in front of it, optionally also expanding sda5.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    They are basically dd augmented to try to recover data from bad sectors. This summarizes the difference between the two. Anything more you need would be in the man page for the one you choose to use, and in ample search hits. I use one so infrequently I don't remember which I chose to use last, so usually have to search to decide which to use. ATM I have both installed, packages dd_rescue and gnu_ddrescue.

It might. The difference is reduced change in context that could make Windows object to the new surroundings, and the extra work involved to make a second try if it does. I do a lot of cloning, both whole disks and individual partitions, but it rarely involves Windows.

You get to choose. You could move the existing sda6 and/or sda7 into it, allowing to expand sda5 and/or sda6 before installing 15.1. You could create one or more new partitions. You could leave it unallocated for use to be determined in the future. Or you could delete sda7, move sda6 into it and expand it, then create a new swap in the newly created space in front of it, optionally also expanding sda5.
    Isn't there any chance I can repair the existing hard drive with these tools

Blog Entries

The first step is to recover whatever data you can. And that is what mrmazda was suggesting.

Whether or not you can repair the drive depends on its condition. Start thinking about that after you have recovered whatever data you can.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

You can not repair a broken disk (not functioning sectors). You can only try to save what is still readable, but that needs a lot of understanding how the file system is organised, etc. Normaly not worth the effort when compared to simply restore from the backup.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12