Thread: finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Default finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

dear fellows OpenSuse-user, good day

finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Consider the following case-scenario: you sit in front of your notebook and you just stumbled across an exciting article you really want to read,
    unfortunatly you have no time at all at the moment; you have a bunch of work that need to be done before you can sit down and read it.

What can you do?

- leave the text open in your browser.
    - email the the URL-link to yourself, but
    - use the toolset of your browser to bookmark the site...

question: is there a more convenient and easy-to-read way.

i have seen some of the following:

- Evernote Web Clipper
    - Trello
    - Bitly
    - Pocket
    - Pinterest

and besides the above mentioned i have had a quick view on Digg and Mix and even to Reddit
    and others more. I would choose a easy to use one.
    Question: is there a google-tool also available.

which tool do you use!?

look forward to hear from you

yours Dilbertone,
    dilbert ;-)
    Wordpress-development - a Toolset: wpgear.org

Blog Entries

Default Re: finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Quote Originally Posted by dilbertone View Post
    Consider the following case-scenario: you sit in front of your notebook and you just stumbled across an exciting article you really want to read,
    unfortunatly you have no time at all at the moment; you have a bunch of work that need to be done before you can sit down and read it.

I just use copy/paste, and save that in a file conveniently named "url" under a directory named "tmp". No fancy tools needed.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Default Re: finding out the best way to bookmark links and websites - which tool do you use!?

Since you printed google in bold: Chrome bookmarks are synced cross-device. Bookmark on a laptop/desktop, open Chrome on a phone/tablet and it should be there.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

As described,
    <Provided you are logged in> to the browser's service, bookmarks and sometimes even searchable history can be sync-d across devices that are logged into the same account. Chrome and recently Firefox supports this feature.

Unlike the others you listed,
    Pocket also has the feature of downloading an offline copy so that you can read the article without an Internet connection.

Otherwise,
    All browsers also have the "Save Page As"

As for myself,
    My preference is generally to leave the tab displaying that article open indefinitely, which can consume very large amounts of RAM. When I do this, often windows will open categories of whatever I was browsing with the individual tabs the specific articles in that category. This is all something that can't be easily replicated using any other method, so I don't do what you've listed.
    If the system is shutdown or has to reboot, then sometimes the browser (at least Chrome and Firefox) will often "remember" what tabs were open, but it's not guaranteed... Sometimes I have to go into the browser history to open the most recent tabs before the shutdown or search my history specifically for the article.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!