Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: OpenGL version outdated

  1. #1

    Default OpenGL version outdated

    I am running Leap 15.1 with KDE and a AMD Radeon R7 240 video card. The Radeon driver is installed as is Mesa.

    glxinfo | grep 'version' shows:

    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.4
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.3.2
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 18.3.2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 18.3.2
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

    When I go to Display and Monitor and look at Compositor options the highest OpenGL version showing is 3.1. If I understand the glxinfo I should see something higher than that. What am I missing?

  2. #2

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    You are looking at version of a library used to create graphical effects for a desktop environment.
    It has no needs to a newer OpenGL version.

  3. #3

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    VMWare Player requires a minimum of OpenGL 3.3 to support 3D graphics in Windows 10. Everything I can see shows the hardware will support it. The question is how to configure Leap to show the option. I am missing something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,846
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    It looks like OpenGL 3.3 is requriedd only for running Directx 10 in a Guest, if you're running up to DirectX 9, then openGL 3..3 should not be required...
    https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Wo...1F04C5788.html

    That said,
    Although I'm running my VMware on a MSWin instead of Linux so can't test your scenario directly but ran a test that suggests you should <not> try to upgrade Mesa to the latest in the X11 OBS...

    Despite the OBS build having a higher version number than what is provided in the Update repo so suggests it should be a later build, I found likely the opposite... Here is the readout from the latest (current) in the OBS11 repo (which required pointing nuerous package conflicts to the OBS11 instead of some other option)
    Or, is this what will work for you? (see the "Core profile" version, but in this case even the OSS Update version is better than what is in OBS). I guess main way to verify what is happening is to run some benchmarks...

    Code:
    # glxinfo | grep 'version'server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.4
        Max core profile version: 3.3
        Max compat profile version: 3.3
        Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
        Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.2.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    OpenGL version string: 3.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 19.2.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 19.2.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
    So, for starters, I'd suggest submitting a "feature request" to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org with a "What's up with the X11 repo?"
    I remember over the years someone(s) posting about various versions of Mesa, can't remember if any of them built Mesa on their own, but it doesn't look particularly difficult... If you try and run into problems, just post your issues... There are various guides to using various compilers, but I'd recommend the following which looks cleanest to me... You can browse the other options in the navigation pane in the left margin

    https://www.mesa3d.org/meson.html

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,846
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    Since my last post,


    I got to thinking about benchmarking OpenGL 3D...


    And settled on the following two test, the first recommended by OpenGL itself and the other an ancient (2014) test that runs in a web browser that's probably "good enough."


    I applied usual benchmarking practices I know about including running a test multiple times, "warming up" the machine being tested and the fact that today's benchmark tests pretty much all run in virtual mode and not real mode (harkening back to 16-bit days). By running in a web browser, the second test (Wirple) is subject to even more possible factors.


    http://www.spec.org/gwpg/gpc.static/vp13linuxinfo.html
    https://www.wirple.com/


    In fact, I think it might even have been Wirple that I used maybe 3-4 years ago when I ran a test and posted results in the Virtualization forum, stating that I found then that A VMware Guest suffered only about 2% degradation compared to the HoSTOS. I wouldn't expect any worse performance today, VMware has pretty good GFX performance.


    And, for the same reasons as always I won't publish any of my actual benchmark numbers because they'd be worthless to anybody else and misleading if anyone thought they'd find them useful in any way. There are too many differences between any one machine and another. If you'd like to compare your machine to all others (Tests often post aggregate results), you can try to make sense of that but I'd doubt you could.


    The tests I've run comparing a Guest to the HostOS and possibly other Guests have some validity because we generally would like to know if there is any kind of penalty running in a Guest, no matter the cause(s).


    IMO,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  6. #6

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    Your statement about DirectX 10 is a restatement of my issue. Windows 10 uses DirectX 10 for 3D acceleration. VMWare requires a minimum of OpenGL 3.3 to support 3D accelleration in a Windows 10 guest. VMWare will work without acceleration but I am somewhat puzzled by my inability to fix this problem.

    Mesa has supported OpenGL 3.3 since version 10. Leap 15.1 is on version 18+. I think my issues are in the configuration of OpenGL and not in the Mesa version number. I just haven't figured out the solution.


    Thanks



    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Since my last post,


    I got to thinking about benchmarking OpenGL 3D...


    And settled on the following two test, the first recommended by OpenGL itself and the other an ancient (2014) test that runs in a web browser that's probably "good enough."


    I applied usual benchmarking practices I know about including running a test multiple times, "warming up" the machine being tested and the fact that today's benchmark tests pretty much all run in virtual mode and not real mode (harkening back to 16-bit days). By running in a web browser, the second test (Wirple) is subject to even more possible factors.


    http://www.spec.org/gwpg/gpc.static/vp13linuxinfo.html
    https://www.wirple.com/


    In fact, I think it might even have been Wirple that I used maybe 3-4 years ago when I ran a test and posted results in the Virtualization forum, stating that I found then that A VMware Guest suffered only about 2% degradation compared to the HoSTOS. I wouldn't expect any worse performance today, VMware has pretty good GFX performance.


    And, for the same reasons as always I won't publish any of my actual benchmark numbers because they'd be worthless to anybody else and misleading if anyone thought they'd find them useful in any way. There are too many differences between any one machine and another. If you'd like to compare your machine to all others (Tests often post aggregate results), you can try to make sense of that but I'd doubt you could.


    The tests I've run comparing a Guest to the HostOS and possibly other Guests have some validity because we generally would like to know if there is any kind of penalty running in a Guest, no matter the cause(s).


    IMO,
    TSU

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,846
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    Your original gfx output <suggests> that perhaps openGL 3D 4.5 might be installed.

    The reason why I went down the path of benchmarking is that if you have DirectX 10 and graphics acceleration enabled in your HostOS, then when you run a benchmark testing 3D performance, that establishes your optimum benchmark.

    It then stands to reason that if you run the same test in your Guest and achieve results somewhat close to the HostOS marks, then it's a reasonable assumption that functionality is working in your Guest as well. But, if you see a big difference... I'll pull a number out of thin air... of about 30% then you can reasonably assume that would indicate graphics acceleration and specifically what the benchmarking test is supposed to test is not fully working in the Guest.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  8. #8

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    The problem is the VMWare video driver won't install without a minimum of OpenGL 3.3 in the Host if 3D acceleration is attempted. The default Microsoft Basic video driver will install and that driver is next to worthless.

    I need someone to explain how to configure the system for OpenGL 3.3.


    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Your original gfx output <suggests> that perhaps openGL 3D 4.5 might be installed.

    The reason why I went down the path of benchmarking is that if you have DirectX 10 and graphics acceleration enabled in your HostOS, then when you run a benchmark testing 3D performance, that establishes your optimum benchmark.

    It then stands to reason that if you run the same test in your Guest and achieve results somewhat close to the HostOS marks, then it's a reasonable assumption that functionality is working in your Guest as well. But, if you see a big difference... I'll pull a number out of thin air... of about 30% then you can reasonably assume that would indicate graphics acceleration and specifically what the benchmarking test is supposed to test is not fully working in the Guest.

    TSU

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,846
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by matchpointok View Post
    The problem is the VMWare video driver won't install without a minimum of OpenGL 3.3 in the Host if 3D acceleration is attempted. The default Microsoft Basic video driver will install and that driver is next to worthless.

    I need someone to explain how to configure the system for OpenGL 3.3.
    Didn't you say you were installing on a MSWindows HostOS?
    If so, you need to make sure DirectX10 is installed, not any support for OpenGL (which in the past I've found is fairly bad in MSWindows).

    Your Linux Guest will then use OpenGL 3D for your accelerated graphics, in part because Linux doesn't support DirectX.

    As I said,
    Before getting down in the technical weeds, benchmark your video performance in your Guest and HostOS, and compare your marks...

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  10. #10

    Default Re: OpenGL version outdated

    I am running Leap 15.1 as the Host.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •