Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

  1. #1

    Default journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Code:
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6235] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-connectivity-check: Authorization check failed: Failed to open file “/proc/17814/status”: No such file or directory 
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6231] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-statistics: Authorization check failed: Failed t>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6227] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.checkpoint-rollback: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6224] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.reload: Authorization check failed: Failed to open file “/proc/>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6220] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.global-dns: Authorization check failed: Failed >
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6216] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.hostname: Authorization check failed: Failed to>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6213] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6209] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system: Authorization check failed: Failed to o>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6205] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.open: Authorization check failed: Failed to open fil>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6202] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.protected: Authorization check failed: Failed to ope>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6197] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control: Authorization check failed: Failed to open fil>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6194] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wimax: Authorization check failed: Failed to ope>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6190] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wwan: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:41 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953401.5963] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-connectivity-check: Authorization check failed: >
    ...
    ...
    ...
    Anyone know please what to do ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    14,009
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    I am not seeing anything like that.

    Is your network actually working? It would help to know what is working and what isn't working.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

  3. #3

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I am not seeing anything like that.

    Is your network actually working? It would help to know what is working and what isn't working.
    Yes.

    The only problem I notice sometime is a lower wifi signal strength. I don't know why is this happening.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    21,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by MakeTopSite View Post
    Yes.

    The only problem I notice sometime is a lower wifi signal strength. I don't know why is this happening.
    Hardware and driver details might be useful...
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan
    Also
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/iwconfig
    You can get some realtime signal level information using...
    Code:
    watch "/usr/sbin/iwconfig |grep -i link"
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Code:
    # /usr/sbin/hwinfo --wlan
    07: PCI 500.0: 0282 WLAN controller                             
      [Created at pci.386]
      Unique ID: ... 
      Parent ID: ...
      SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.3/0000:05:00.0
      SysFS BusID: 0000:05:00.0
      Hardware Class: network
      Model: "Intel Centrino Wireless-N 135 BGN"
      Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      Device: pci 0x0892 "Centrino Wireless-N 135"
      SubVendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
      SubDevice: pci 0x0062 "Centrino Wireless-N 135 BGN"
      Revision: 0xc4
      Driver: "iwlwifi"
      Driver Modules: "iwlwifi"
      Device File: wlan0
      Features: WLAN
      Memory Range: 0xf..00000-0xf..01fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
      IRQ: 29 (no events)
      HW Address: ...
      Permanent HW Address: ...
      Link detected: yes
      WLAN channels: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
      WLAN frequencies: 2.412 2.417 2.422 2.427 2.432 2.437 2.442 2.447 2.452 2.457 2.462 2.467 2.472
      WLAN encryption modes: WEP40 WEP104 TKIP CCMP
      WLAN authentication modes: open sharedkey wpa-psk wpa-eap
      Module Alias: "pci:..."
      Driver Info #0:
        Driver Status: iwlwifi is active
        Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe iwlwifi"
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #1 (PCI bridge)
    
    
    # /usr/sbin/iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"..."  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.447 GHz  Access Point: ...   
              Bit Rate=57.8 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=39/70  Signal level=-71 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:2  Invalid misc:195   Missed beacon:0
    
    eth0      no wireless extensions.
    
    
    # watch "/usr/sbin/iwconfig |grep -i link"
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    eth0      no wireless extensions.
    
    Link Quality=40/70  Signal level=-70 dBm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    21,728
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    The received signal level is a little low (and that can obviously depend on the distance from the associated access point), but the link quality is within the acceptable range. Do you have any specific concerns with the connectivity?
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5

  7. #7

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The received signal level is a little low (and that can obviously depend on the distance from the associated access point), but the link quality is within the acceptable range. Do you have any specific concerns with the connectivity?
    I'm OK with it if it is not a security risk. Logs would be much more readable without these repeated warnings.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,701
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by MakeTopSite View Post
    I'm OK with it if it is not a security risk. Logs would be much more readable without these repeated warnings.
    You may override default log level of any service: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/systemd-log-levels.html
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #9

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    You may override default log level of any service: https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/systemd-log-levels.html
    Thank you. I've tried
    Code:
    LogLevelMax=3
    and
    Code:
    LogLevelMax=2
    and
    Code:
    LogLevelMax=1
    and
    Code:
    LogLevelMax=0
    but it isn't working.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    12,409
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: journalctl log flooded with NetworkManager warning

    Quote Originally Posted by MakeTopSite View Post
    Code:
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6235] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-connectivity-check: Authorization check failed: Failed to open file “/proc/17814/status”: No such file or directory 
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6231] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-statistics: Authorization check failed: Failed t>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6227] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.checkpoint-rollback: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6224] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.reload: Authorization check failed: Failed to open file “/proc/>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6220] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.global-dns: Authorization check failed: Failed >
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6216] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.hostname: Authorization check failed: Failed to>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6213] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6209] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system: Authorization check failed: Failed to o>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6205] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.open: Authorization check failed: Failed to open fil>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6202] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wifi.share.protected: Authorization check failed: Failed to ope>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6197] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.network-control: Authorization check failed: Failed to open fil>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6194] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wimax: Authorization check failed: Failed to ope>
    Dec 21 19:36:42 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953402.6190] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-wwan: Authorization check failed: Failed to open>
    Dec 21 19:36:41 lin NetworkManager[7615]: <warn>  [1576953401.5963] error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.enable-disable-connectivity-check: Authorization check failed: >
    ...
    ...
    ...
    Anyone know please what to do ?
    Recommend actually reading the log events...
    I see two types in what you posted (so don't know if you've posted everything relevant or not).
    1. When a connectivity check is actually made, the PiD file which represents the expected process is not found.
    2. Some kind of request to actually do the connectivity check is failing because it's not being authorized.

    At the 30,000 foot level,
    You should probably identify why a connectivity check is even being made... Are you invoking your Network Manager through something else? It's not enough to simply identify your network hardware, this is ordinarily a software problem. Are you running some kind of netowrking software issued by a Vendor like Cisco or a VPN manager or something else? What did you install on your machine that has anything to do with networking?

    As for troubleshooting the specific entries, you might start by looking at your logs more closely.... look at your bootlog and the hundred or so lines that precede the entries you posted. Often knowing what happened just before your problem entries can tell you a lot about what might have preceded and been a possible direct cause.

    The first error about a PiD file not found should probably considered in the following order...
    - Is a connectivity check proper? Is it being invoked by something that shouldn't even be running on your machine?
    - If you don't think that anything was installed on your machine properly, the next step is to consider it might be a misconfiguration, and possibly also by bad code.It's a common mistake in code running on *NIX to instantiate something but not set the PiD... so the sytem assigns some random PiD number that is available but the code might know what it is, and be expecting something permanently set. It's up to you how far you want to troubleshoot this or report a bug.

    The second error will depend on what kind of software is trying to do the connectivity check. Again, depending on your willingness to spend effort on this and your skill level, you may want to simply report as a bug.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •