Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KDE- adding english subtitles - avi to mp4

Default Re: KDE- adding english subtitles - avi to mp4

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    as mentioned previously, .srt sbtitles are a plain text file. They contain no information on font size or screen position.
    It would seem that .srt is not the ideal format for you.

you would be better off downloading something like aegisub or gnome subtitles (both in the oss repo) and converting to a format like .ass that allows you to specify font size and screen position

Subtitle SubRip (*.srt) Positioning

I like SubRib (*.srt) subtitle positioning, as shown below:
    00:02:25,016 --> 00:02:27,393
    {\pos(200,250)}- <i>Naw</i>, you're fired.

There is an extended SRT format specification. The link to visualsubsync merely confirms that this very program only supports the standard spec. It also implies that there indeed is support for coordinations and there is:
    You need to place coordinates for the pixels behind the time code like that:
    00:10:30,796 --> 00:10:33,799 X1:117 X2:619 Y1:042 Y2:428
    <font color="#ffffff">Any kind of text</font>
    The example was taken from the following link:
    Your player, encoder, filter etc. might not support the extended SRT specs, though.

I need method to convert avi + srt position format --> mp4 format.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    I have an blueray player with a usb port that can play mp4 files, but can't read subtitle files.

The "Witcher 1" file are formatted: .avi .idx .sub

avidemux: idx-sub --> srt (After, manually correct OCR errors)

mkvtool nix: idx/sub/avi --> mkv

ffmpeg: mkv --> mp4

So, mkvtool nix can't adjust font size and position?
    Can you tell us where you're getting your Witcher 1 file from?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

gog.com: "The Witcher" download extras (after buying the game).

I have the Enhanced DVD edition as well.

'the_witcher_behind_the_scenes.zip'

'the_witcher_creator_interviews_atari.zip'

FYI, I managed to get vlc to add subtitles. It's step by step process. (next message).

However, I still can't get font size or position even setting vlc to a srt subtitle. Getting one srt converted takes a long time.

On one avi video file, I can't get the subtitles to display with vlc: 'The Witcher - Thomas Baginski - Intro to the Game The Witcher.avi'

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    Subtitle SubRip (*.srt) Positioning

I like SubRib (*.srt) subtitle positioning, as shown below:
    00:02:25,016 --> 00:02:27,393
    {\pos(200,250)}- <i>Naw</i>, you're fired.

There is an extended SRT format specification. The link to visualsubsync merely confirms that this very program only supports the standard spec. It also implies that there indeed is support for coordinations and there is:
    You need to place coordinates for the pixels behind the time code like that:
    00:10:30,796 --> 00:10:33,799 X1:117 X2:619 Y1:042 Y2:428
    <font color="#ffffff">Any kind of text</font>
    The example was taken from the following link:
    Your player, encoder, filter etc. might not support the extended SRT specs, though.

I need method to convert avi + srt position format --> mp4 format.

yes, but it is still a plain text file passing information onto the player that may or may not support the extended srt parameters.

If font size and positioning are essential and your player doesn't support the extended .srt parameters then there are better file format options

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    as mentioned previously, .srt sbtitles are a plain text file. They contain no information on font size or screen position.
    It would seem that .srt is not the ideal format for you.

you would be better off downloading something like aegisub or gnome subtitles (both in the oss repo) and converting to a format like .ass that allows you to specify font size and screen position
    I tried these two utilities they don't accept sub/idx files.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/...font_settings/

VLC can't use ASS format according to the above. Using vlc, converting avi using subtitles to mp4 format results in a black screen on the blueray (usb port) player.

Avidemux OCR doesn't work right. It shows inverse text when there is none. There are many different issues here. I'm going to need split this topic up.

Code:
    00:00:06,960 --> 00:00:09,960
     Hello. My name is Pawel
     Pliszka. l'm a film stuntman.

00:00:10,400 --> 00:00:12,719
     [Pawel Pliszka combat choreography stunts
     coordinator and master of martial arts]

00:00:12,720 --> 00:00:15,720
     First of all l must say that l love my job.
     l've been doing it for a good few years.

00:00:21,680 --> 00:00:24,680
     - the only academy
     of its kind in Poland.

00:00:27,040 --> 00:00:30,040
     - the only academy
     of its kind in Poland.
    It does this many times.

So, I need a text subtitle format. First, find a working OCR conversion utility.

I've OCR'd many idx/vob subtitles, it's a real PITA.

My first option would be searching for subtitles online - usually .srt - to avoid the OCR step. Then check if your player plays avi+srt, as this is supported in all players I've seen to date. Of course, I'm assuming you already tried the avi+idx/vob and it didn't work.

A quick-and-dirty solution would be to reencode the video with permanent (burned) subtitles. Then the player only have to play the video stream.

Third option is to forgo the player and play in a computer, as most players support idx/vob.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    I've OCR'd many idx/vob subtitles, it's a real PITA.

My first option would be searching for subtitles online - usually .srt - to avoid the OCR step. Then check if your player plays avi+srt, as this is supported in all players I've seen to date. Of course, I'm assuming you already tried the avi+idx/vob and it didn't work.

A quick-and-dirty solution would be to reencode the video with permanent (burned) subtitles. Then the player only have to play the video stream.

Third option is to forgo the player and play in a computer, as most players support idx/vob.

YMMV

I am able to do this with mkvtoolnix and vlc with idx/sub subtitles. I'v tried srt with both with mixed results. The blueray player had black screen when playing converted mp4 files, but I found out it supports mkv format and a few others.

I've looked for subtitles for "The Witcher 1" pc game. I get the "The witcher" tv series, no other results.

Burning the titles can be done with either, but support srt format with font position and font size is unknown. Most formats support general positions (left,right,bottom,top, etc.), but not font size. VLC does have -+value up/down.

I found this on github:
    Qtesseract5-master.zip

This topic has too many steps. I'll post the separate issues.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123