Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE- adding english subtitles - avi to mp4

Default Re: KDE- adding english subtitles - avi to mp4

I have mkvtoolnix. It is working!

I need to be able to change the position and size of the font. I'll try the online subtitle converter.

Quote Originally Posted by grb01 View Post
    You could always try an online converter. e.g. https://subtitletools.com/convert-sub-idx-to-srt-online
    I tried it. The waiting list started at 150+ I'll have to skip this. I need a real time utility.

http://members.upcweb.hu//balla.gyor...der_linux.html

This is method that will work! But, it's slow image to letter (by hand OCR) that increases in speed as it learns new images. You use avidemux-gtk:

Use the default calibration. I'm going to try that feature later.

Select the IDX file.

Select output srt file.

As the images appear, enter the correct letter or letters. Then click ok. As you enter more image letters, the process will go faster.

NOTE: Save the glyph file! If it asks for more, resave the file.

I was able to use vlc to set the subtitle file to either idx/sub and srt. Now, I need to compare idx/sub to srt playing on VLC media player.

usually the font size (in a non hard coded sub) would be controlled by whatever tool you are using for playback. i.e. the font size for subtitles in VLC should be changed in VLC

VLC can play srt files, but it's not converted to mp4 with subtitles for the USB video player.

The OCR sub/idx to srt file leaves errors that need correction. I have to fix them first.

Use avidemux to create the srt file. Then correct the text errors by comparing videos.

Use mkvtoolnix to mix the streams into one mkv file. Then convert mkv to mp4.

Can I use mkvtoolnix to set the font size and position using a srt subtitle file?

VLC can play srt files, but it's not converted to mp4 with subtitles for the USB video player.
    I'm not following here . . .
    what do you mean convert to mp4?
    What is "USB video player"?
    Is this usb player unable to play matroska files? Does it not have a subtitle font setting?

Use mkvtoolnix to mix the streams into one mkv file. Then convert mkv to mp4.
    I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are doing here . . .
    .mkv and .mp4 are just containers. You shouldn't need to "convert" anything to put something into one of these containers just to support subtitles

Can I use mkvtoolnix to set the font size and position using a srt subtitle file?
    subrip subtitles (.srt) are just plain text files that contain timing information. You cannot set font or font size in an .srt subtitle - this is controlled by the player
    mkvtoolnix is a muxing tool that places video, audio and other files such as subtitles into a matroska (.mkv) container. It cannot be used to alter the subtitle in any way other than setting the character coding / language setting information

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    usually the font size (in a non hard coded sub) would be controlled by whatever tool you are using for playback. i.e. the font size for subtitles in VLC should be changed in VLC
    I did an srt conversion (needs more text correction). I played it and used the srt file. I can't find any function adjusting font size. ??

delete message
    Last edited by lord_valarian; 14-Jan-2020 at 14:31. Reason: delete dup

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    I'm not following here . . .
    what do you mean convert to mp4?
    What is "USB video player"?
    Is this usb player unable to play matroska files? Does it not have a subtitle font setting?

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are doing here . . .
    .mkv and .mp4 are just containers. You shouldn't need to "convert" anything to put something into one of these containers just to support subtitles.

subrip subtitles (.srt) are just plain text files that contain timing information. You cannot set font or font size in an .srt subtitle - this is controlled by the player (vlc)

I have an blueray player with a usb port that can play mp4 files, but can't read subtitle files.

The "Witcher 1" file are formatted: .avi .idx .sub

avidemux: idx-sub --> srt (After, manually correct OCR errors)

mkvtool nix: idx/sub/avi --> mkv

ffmpeg: mkv --> mp4

mkvtoolnix is a muxing tool that places video, audio and other files such as subtitles into a matroska (.mkv) container. It cannot be used to alter the subtitle in any way other than setting the character coding / language setting information
    So, mkvtool nix can't adjust font size and position?

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    I have an blueray player with a usb port that can play mp4 files, but can't read subtitle files.

The "Witcher 1" file are formatted: .avi .idx .sub

avidemux: idx-sub --> srt (After, manually correct OCR errors)

mkvtool nix: idx/sub/avi --> mkv

ffmpeg: mkv --> mp4

So, mkvtool nix can't adjust font size and position?
    as mentioned previously, .srt sbtitles are a plain text file. They contain no information on font size or screen position.
    It would seem that .srt is not the ideal format for you.

you would be better off downloading something like aegisub or gnome subtitles (both in the oss repo) and converting to a format like .ass that allows you to specify font size and screen position

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast