Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU stressed out when watching video's

Default Re: CPU stressed out when watching video's

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Thank you Karl,
    Maybe this works on the DEB distro's, but in Yast software management I can not find those packages. What I do so, and this is installed already is Mesa-libva: This package contains the Mesa VA-API implementation provided through gallium.
    On Manjaro, my previous distro, they had a special version of Chrome, one which had va-api inside and it worked great. I can not find it for openSUSE.
    Strange thing is, VLC and Smplayer work fine here. I can play movies with full HD and maybe even higher without problems, it is just when watching TV through a browser which causes the problems.

In the mean time I am watching for a new laptop, one which is lighter, has a battery for hours of using the laptop instead of the one I have now, which is dead in 5 minutes. A nice CPU, some more RAM, m2 SSD, the works. But the prices!!! Madness. If you really want to have something great it is unaffordable, so you have to settle for less which in a few years might be too less already.

Jan the first thing you should do if you're not sure you're getting VAAPI acceleration is test it against CPU cycles with top in
    a player like mpv or vlc as mentioned in one of my my previous posts.
    Then you will at least be certain it's operational on your TW system before you worry about implementation in Chrome which won't work anyway unless VAAPI is available system wide.

What I also do to improve performance in Plasma is go into system settings -> compositor and set 'scale method' to 'crisp'.
    Also trying out different settings for tearing prevention/v-sync may have an advantageous effect.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JanMussche View Post
    Thank you Karl,
    Maybe this works on the DEB distro's, but in Yast software management I can not find those packages. What I do so, and this is installed already is Mesa-libva: This package contains the Mesa VA-API implementation provided through gallium.
    On Manjaro, my previous distro, they had a special version of Chrome, one which had va-api inside and it worked great. I can not find it for openSUSE.
    Strange thing is, VLC and Smplayer work fine here. I can play movies with full HD and maybe even higher without problems, it is just when watching TV through a browser which causes the problems.

In the mean time I am watching for a new laptop, one which is lighter, has a battery for hours of using the laptop instead of the one I have now, which is dead in 5 minutes. A nice CPU, some more RAM, m2 SSD, the works. But the prices!!! Madness. If you really want to have something great it is unaffordable, so you have to settle for less which in a few years might be too less already.

You should get output something like this...

Using hardware decoding (vaapi).
    AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
    VO: [vaapi] 1280x720 vaapi[nv12]

...After running mpv in a terminal with a command something like...

mpv --hwdec=vaapi --vo=vaapi myvideo.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by JanMussche View Post
    Thank you Karl,
    You can try https://major.io/2019/10/20/install-...-on-fedora-30/

I don't think so. You should consider a budget notebook with state of the art hardware: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ptop-15-da0xxx This model will work for many years. Notebooks designed for Windows 7 still work with Tumbleweed and SSD. You get very reasonable performance.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    It seems to me this instruction is very outdated.

To OP:

1. You can use VLC (mpv, etc.) to watch TV without Chromium.

2. Try to install package "chromium-ffmpeg-extra".

chromium-ffmpeg-extra - Extra ffmpeg codecs for browsers based on Chromium

This package contains proprietary codecs needed for the HTML5 (audio and video tags).
    3. https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/9hdblp/chromium_hardware_acceleration/
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hromium-VA-API

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    It seems to me this instruction is very outdated.

To OP:

1. You can use VLC (mpv, etc.) to watch TV without Chromium.

2. Try to install package "chromium-ffmpeg-extra".

3. https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/9hdblp/chromium_hardware_acceleration/
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hromium-VA-API
    Hello Svyatko.

Thank you for your answer, but it didn't work.
    When I say I watch TV on my computer, I mean I watch the TV stations brought to us by our cable company. Although it is accessible through a website it is not a kind of Youtube like website where you can either watch flash or html5 video's. They seem to use some kind of Microsoft stuff which with many programs is impossible to watch. Only Chrome (not Chromium) can do it, as far as I know. The extra codecs you mentioned didn't work for this on Chromium.
    I can't use VLC since I can not address the live program into it, it's a closed source system the cable company uses.
    I give up. I will either watch TV on my old laptop or in the near future buy a new one which has more power.

Thanks again.

No idea what happened but it looks like the problem has solved itself.
    I can now watch TV in Chrome with around 50% CPU usage.
    I can also watch a video in Smplayer with around 50-60% CPU usage.

Maybe there was an update which solved it, I really can't tell but I'm pretty happy with this.

Well, I will enjoy it for as long as possible.
    To all of you happy holidays and all the best for the New Year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12