Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot connect smartphone to Leap 15.1 via USB

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot connect smartphone to Leap 15.1 via USB

Before any of the above can work,
    You need to make sure you have a udev rule created that can identify your Android device by vendor id and product id.

So,
    First thing to do is to do an Internet search for those values that identify your specific Android device...
    Then create a udev rule as described in the following ArchWiki

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...d_Debug_Bridge

Once that has been set up,
    You should be able to run an adb device query that returns your phone as identified, and then you can issue commands for whatever you want to do (or apps will suddenly work connecting to your phone).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Before any of the above can work,
    You need to make sure you have a udev rule created that can identify your Android device by vendor id and product id.
    There should be already.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

So it's no longer /lib/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (or was it /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules? Which one?)

Blog Entries

In general, pre-packaged (system-specific) rules files for a given Linux distribution are placed in /lib/udev/rules.d/, while /etc/udev/rules.d/ contains custom rules. You can search online for the historic files and their locations - I've just explained where the existing MTP device rules live for the distro.

So what changed since openSUSE 11.3 (or 12.1?) that udev rules for smartphones are already included and one no longer needs to add them manually?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    There should be already.
    Yes, but that can't be assumed, it's imperative to run the adb command to verify the device is recognized.
    I believe the most popular brands should already be set to be recognized, but for many, many years even popular brands weren't guaranteed to be set up properly. (I owned the very first Android, I think it was called something like the "HTC G1" and remember having to do this).

I wouldn't take recognizing the device for granted.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    So what changed since openSUSE 11.3 (or 12.1?) that udev rules for smartphones are already included and one no longer needs to add them manually?
    The natural evolution/development of libmtp (as with other things) I guess. There may be new (or uncommon) devices that need to be catered for manually occasionally. Not often though..... and like most community projects participation is encouraged...
    New Device?

If you happen upon a device which libmtp claims it cannot autodetect, please:

• Submit the vendor ID and device ID as a bug, patch or feature request on the Sourceforge bug tracker at our homepage.
    • If it gives a sensible output from "mtp-detect" then please attach the result as well as it teaches us some stuff about your device.
    • If it doesn't give sensible output, attach the output from "lsusb -v" for your device.
    • If you want to be able to hack some more and you're not afraid of C hacking, add an entry for your device's vendor/product ID and a descriptive string to the database in the file src/music-players.h.
    • If you want to poke around to see if your device has some special peculiarities, you can test some special device flags defined in src/device-flags.h by inserting them together with your device entry in src/music-players.h. Flags can be tested in isolation or catenated with "|" (binary OR). If relatives to your device use a certain flag, chances are high that a new device will need it too, typically from the same manufacturer. The most common flag that needs to be set is the DEVICE_FLAG_UNLOAD_DRIVER that detach any Linux kernel drivers that may have attached to the device making MTP access impossible.
    More info here...
    http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 05-Dec-2019 at 17:21.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Yes, but that can't be assumed, it's imperative to run the adb command to verify the device is recognized.
    I believe the most popular brands should already be set to be recognized, but for many, many years even popular brands weren't guaranteed to be set up properly. (I owned the very first Android, I think it was called something like the "HTC G1" and remember having to do this).

I wouldn't take recognizing the device for granted.

TSU
    Then go back and read post #7. It's now working as expected AFAIU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12