Thread: Nov 24 DVD installation issues.

Default Nov 24 DVD installation issues.

In the installation of kde using the DVD.iso for AMD / Intel
    a) If I choose to install too many options, (I want all the development packages),
    grub crashes and the the installation is lost.
    (I can recreate by just redoing the selection of KDE packages, documentation, and development for Plasma, web, java...
    I did not chose any servers. I included the two VM options
    Grub crashes.

2) I finally reran with just the KDE and the docs, and this time it, KDE installed.
    But when I wanted to run grub2-mkconfig, near the tail end of the grub2-mkconfig another crash.... I show the tail end below.

Code:
    menuentry 'openSUSE Tumbleweed, with Xen hypervisor' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-simple-6b43d7a7-c3a1-478a-b2db-d190118b4d4d' {
    awk: cmd. line:18: warning: regexp escape sequence `\"' is not a known regexp operator
    awk: cmd. line:18: warning: regexp escape sequence `\"' is not a known regexp operator
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod fat
            set root='hd1,gpt1'
            if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd1,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,gpt1  D9CC-4E9F
            else
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root D9CC-4E9F
            fi
            echo    'Loading Xen 4.13.0_02-1 with Linux 5.3.12-1-default ...'
            chainloader  /efi/opensuse/xen-4.13.0_02-1.efi xen-4.13.0_02-1.efi  config.1
    }
    cp: -r not specified; omitting directory '/boot/'
    I am unable to update grub.cfg
    I searched /etc/grub.d /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using "/boot" with no luck. No luck searching for 'cp '

I would like to patch my grub2-mkconfig

By the way, the grub-mkconfig from the September KDE version works fine. I was attempting to migrate the KDE system from /dev/sdc to /dev/sdb

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nov 24 DVD installation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
    Code:
    menuentry 'openSUSE Tumbleweed, with Xen hypervisor' --class opensuse --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen $menuentry_id_option 'xen-gnulinux-simple-6b43d7a7-c3a1-478a-b2db-d190118b4d4d' {
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod fat
            set root='hd1,gpt1'
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,gpt1 --hint-efi=hd1,gpt1 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,gpt1  D9CC-4E9F
            else
            fi
    }
    I'm pretty sure that there is an open bug report for that problem. It only shows up if Xen is installed.

I'm not using Xen here, so I am not seeing the problem.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

In the installation of kde using the DVD.iso for AMD / Intel
    a) If I choose to install too many options, (I want all the development packages),
    grub crashes and the the installation is lost.
    (I can recreate by just redoing the selection of KDE packages, documentation, and development for Plasma, web, java...
    I did not chose any servers. I included the two VM options
    Grub crashes.

2) I finally reran with just the KDE and the docs, and this time it, KDE installed.
    But when I wanted to run grub2-mkconfig, near the tail end of the grub2-mkconfig another crash.... I show the tail end below.

Code:
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod fat
            set root='hd1,gpt1'
            else
            fi
    }
    I am unable to update grub.cfg
    I searched /etc/grub.d /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using "/boot" with no luck. No luck searching for 'cp '

I would like to patch my grub2-mkconfig

By the way, the grub-mkconfig from the September KDE version works fine. I was attempting to migrate the KDE system from /dev/sdc to /dev/sdb
    I should mention-- using pre-assigned partitions that I recompile as part of the installation:
    fat32 500meg (even though other distros are happy with 256megs)
    boot 1gig
    root xfs 20gigs
    home ext4 20 gigs
    swap 16gigs (16gig system). Only swap activity was at boot when it was opened.

Once again I tried a fresh installation (except for /home) of Tumbleweed DVD snapshot 2019-11-28
    The system proceeds to download and configure/install all rpms
    but grub2-mkconfig crashes with errors as mentioned above.

Please, can someone provide a reference to a working DVD or Network installation that is not btrfs?
    Here is my preassigned disk setup (on an SSD)
    gpt partition
    320meg /boot/efi Fat32
    1gig /boot ext4
    20 g / xfs
    29 g /home ext4
    16gig swap

This system was working before, but when the /boot/efi became corrupted, I chose to reinstall.
    Previous installation was done in August. Do I have to revert to an August DVD?

I tried twice, the second time, omitting extra partitions and mount points.
    I am trying to install a Gnome version

Blog Entries

Once again I tried a fresh installation (except for /home) of Tumbleweed DVD snapshot 2019-11-28
    The system proceeds to download and configure/install all rpms
    but grub2-mkconfig crashes with errors as mentioned above.

Please, can someone provide a reference to a working DVD or Network installation that is not btrfs?
    Here is my preassigned disk setup (on an SSD)
    gpt partition
    320meg /boot/efi Fat32
    1gig /boot ext4
    20 g / xfs
    29 g /home ext4
    16gig swap

This system was working before, but when the /boot/efi became corrupted, I chose to reinstall.
    Previous installation was done in August. Do I have to revert to an August DVD?

I tried twice, the second time, omitting extra partitions and mount points.
    I am trying to install a Gnome version
    Hi
    So is the /boot/efi partition is type ef00 and re-formatted to fat? Or is the a dual boot system, if so have you done a filesystem check on the fat partition?

Any install from the dvd doesn't have to be btrfs, it's just the default selected, just use YaST expert partitioner...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

1. A backslash often means that the script is trying to escape something, if you knew what youe re doing, you could try to inspect that "line 18" to verify and fix it... Otherwise it'll have to be addressed by a maintainer.

2. You're not installing Xen as recommended.
    You shouldn't try to install Xen during the installation, you should instead install without Xen, then open YaST and install using the "Install Virtualization..." module... I repeat, <do not use Software Manager" which is more or less what the Installer does, you should instead use the special YaST module for installing virtualization.

When you use the YaST module, it will prompt you for whether you want to install Xen and/or KVM and LXC, and then offer to set up br0 as your default networking bridge. Select and accept those options and see if your Xen install properly.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    1. A backslash often means that the script is trying to escape something, if you knew what your re doing, you could try to inspect that "line 18" to verify and fix it... Otherwise it'll have to be addressed by a maintainer.

2. You're not installing Xen as recommended.
    You shouldn't try to install Xen during the installation, you should instead install without Xen, then open YaST and install using the "Install Virtualization..." module... I repeat, <do not use Software Manager" which is more or less what the Installer does, you should instead use the special YaST module for installing virtualization.

When you use the YaST module, it will prompt you for whether you want to install Xen and/or KVM and LXC, and then offer to set up br0 as your default networking bridge. Select and accept those options and see if your Xen install properly.

TSU
    I have a successful installation. I omitted the xen and other virtual machine option, and in lieu of using the DVD, I switched to the network installation version.
    At first I thought that the installation program cannot handle many of the software applications I checked, or the additional mount points that I have on my system
    (a /spare and /backup). But I feel pretty good my issue is due to blame Xen or other VM.
    Response to 2)
    If Xen is definitely listed in the available software to install, and I did not see a release note entry to "defer installation of xen to post installation" then, to whom do I request that the note 2) above be added to the release notes? In the past, back about 6 months ago, and before I built my new AMD system, I always added xen at time of installation. And I never had an installation issue.

Blog Entries

I have a successful installation. I omitted the xen and other virtual machine option, and in lieu of using the DVD, I switched to the network installation version.
    At first I thought that the installation program cannot handle many of the software applications I checked, or the additional mount points that I have on my system
    (a /spare and /backup). But I feel pretty good my issue is due to blame Xen or other VM.
    Response to 2)
    If Xen is definitely listed in the available software to install, and I did not see a release note entry to "defer installation of xen to post installation" then, to whom do I request that the note 2) above be added to the release notes? In the past, back about 6 months ago, and before I built my new AMD system, I always added xen at time of installation. And I never had an installation issue.
    It's just something that has been known for the longest time, primarily in the Virtualization forum.
    Linux is rife with a zillion things that can be done but are often inadvisable.

Now that you are installed,
    If your system has adequate resources, you can install the Xen kernel, User mode tools and optionally a br0 device (highly recommended to accept) by way of the YaST "Install Virtualization" module.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!