Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kmail sent mailbox not defined

Default Kmail sent mailbox not defined

I've spent much of two days now trying to recover from a Kmail collapse which resulted in it becoming unusable. In the end I created a new Leap 15.1 account, recovered all my emails and other files (Documents, etc.) from backups, and deleted the old Leap account.

I then renamed the new Leap account to the old userid and renamed it's top-level directory, which is supported by Yast. The environment variables (e.g. HOME) are correct, and there's no mention of the old directory name anywhere in /etc,

However I have two remaining problems. The main one occurs when creating a new outgoing email: Kmail complains that the 'sent' mailbox is not defined, but I can't see anywhere to do so.

The other issue is that the change of top-level directory hasn't been picked up by Dolphin, so it complains that the "Home", "Desktop", and "Downloads" directories do not exist. Is there any straightforward way of fixing this? I found it does occur in various files in:
    ~/,config
    ~/.pki
    ~/.local

Any help would be really appreciated.

David L.

Default Re: Kmail sent mailbox not defined

Quote Originally Posted by dlochrin View Post
    The other issue is that the change of top-level directory hasn't been picked up by Dolphin, so it complains that the "Home", "Desktop", and "Downloads" directories do not exist.
    I've found what seems a plausible solution to this problem, at least. These values are defined in ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel and editing three lines soon restored Dolphin. It would be nice if KDE derived them from $HOME which is defined at a higher level by the O/S.

However I still can't create outgoing emails with Kmail.

Question Re: Kmail sent mailbox not defined

I then renamed the new Leap account to the old userid and renamed it's top-level directory, which is supported by Yast.
    Yes, but, did you, with the user “root”, recursively change the ownership of ALL the files – including the hidden ones and, the hidden directories – to the “old” User and Group IDs?

Did you restore your e-Mails from a KMail Archive? <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/kmail2/backups.html>

Did you export your KMail settings to a backup? <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...t-restore.html>

The “Troubleshooting” chapter of the KMail Handbook is here: <https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/pim/...eshooting.html>.
    The definition of which directory KMail will use for e-Mail activities is held in ‘~/.config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc’. The definition of where additional local e-Mail resources are located is held in files named ‘~/.config/akonadi_maildir_resource_1rc’ and so on … 2; 3; …

However I still can't create outgoing emails with Kmail.
    If the folder doesn't exist in Local Folders, create it. Go to Settings>Configure Kmail>Accounts>Identities, click your identity and click 'Modify' button on the right. You'll find the sent-mail set up there.
    Pete

Problem solved, many thanks to both of you, dcurtisfra and peteh100!

Quote Originally Posted by peteh100 View Post
    If the folder doesn't exist in Local Folders, create it. Go to Settings>Configure Kmail>Accounts>Identities, click your identity and click 'Modify' button on the right. You'll find the sent-mail set up there.
    I created a completely new O/S account so all the usual package initialisations were done then by Yast and were "as new". Documents were copied into the new account and their ownership changed from root. Kmail was set up, not quite perfectly, using the PIM Setting Exporter (PSE) and a previous backup.

However I'd missed the place in the Kmail 'identities' configuration ('advanced' tab) mentioned by peteh100. I had two identities, one was set up correctly but the other had the 'sent' 'drafts' & 'templates' locations flagged in red.

Is it OK to have two identities pointing these locations to the same folders?

And am I correct in assuming that both the PSE and the Kmail archiver save emails with no traces of MySQL or other internal structure? I'm wondering whether PIM's database implementation may be the source of some lack of robustness.

David L.

Smile Re: Kmail sent mailbox not defined

I'm wondering whether PIM's database implementation may be the source of some lack of robustness.
    You're not the only one …
    • After carefully archiving everything, I'm considering setting up the KDE PIM from new and then, carefully import the exported archives – I have 6.2 GB of e-Mails which have been subjected to many system upgrades, including more than a few pre-Leap versions and therefore, this'll take some time …

There seems to be something in the Akonadi database which has been pulled from version to version and, it's causing intermittent misbehaviour – such things do occur with databases – it's a fact of computing life …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    You're not the only one …
    • After carefully archiving everything, I'm considering setting up the KDE PIM from new and then, carefully import the exported archives – I have 6.2 GB of e-Mails which have been subjected to many system upgrades, including more than a few pre-Leap versions and therefore, this'll take some time …

There seems to be something in the Akonadi database which has been pulled from version to version and, it's causing intermittent misbehaviour – such things do occur with databases – it's a fact of computing life …
    That's exactly what I decided to do and it worked pretty well; Kmail seems to have fully recovered.

All those folders which are kept only for record & reference purposes are located in one directory tree known as 'Archive'. This divides into Archive-1 -2 -3 -etc. as time goes on, dating back to the late 80's. New folders aren't added to 'Archive' very often, so I've been using the folder-archiver to backup only the other, active top-level folders. ('Current' is a pretty big directory-tree though.)

I've only now started playing with the PIM Setting Exporter. Is known to be more or less reliable than the folder-archiver? Something about keeping all one's eggs in one basket springs to mind.

The latest Kmail collapse resulted in a curious situation where emails could not be moved, but looked as though they half-worked while locking up Kmail. I'd then exit and restart Kmail which would immediately "close unexpectedly", however it would restart successfully on the second attempt. Also, I couldn't start any Kmail utility (e,g, the folder archiver); the initial window would appear and I'd hit OK but nothing would happen.

I suspect the Akonadi database issue involves a race condition, and probably buggy use of program locks.

I've come to the point where I really don't like using Kmail, and it's wasted days of my life. I think it's high time the development team conducted a forensic software review. Maybe it's becoming too complex, and should be de-constructed into more modular packages (email, address book, calendar, etc).

David L.

should be de-constructed into more modular packages (email, address book, calendar, etc).
    It's already is split into separate packages:
    Code:
     > zypper info kde_pim
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

package 'kde_pim' not found.

Information for pattern kde_pim:
    --------------------------------
    Repository      : Haupt-Repository   
    Name            : kde_pim            
    Version         : 20181130-lp151.1.1 
    Arch            : noarch             
    Vendor          : openSUSE           
    Installed       : Yes (automatically)
    Visible to User : Yes                
    Summary         : KDE PIM Suite      
    Description     :                    
        The KDE PIM Suite (Kontact, KMail, KOrganizer, ...).
    Contents        :                    
        S  | Name                 | Type    | Dependency
        ---+----------------------+---------+------------
        i  | patterns-kde-kde_pim | package | Required
        i+ | akregator            | package | Recommended
        i+ | kaddressbook         | package | Recommended
        i  | kleopatra            | package | Recommended
        i+ | kmail                | package | Recommended
        i+ | knotes               | package | Recommended
        i+ | kontact              | package | Recommended
        i+ | korganizer           | package | Recommended

>

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    It's already is split into separate packages:
    True, but they're apparently not quite independent. For example, four packages required by KAlarm (akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal, kalarmcal, kalarmcal-lang, libKF5AlarmCalendar5) cannot be removed even though KAlarm itself isn't installed, the PIM Settings Exporter seems to require several components of the PIM suite (why?), and Kcontact apparently cannot be deinstalled at all.

Also, I still have 18 Akonadi processes running even after deinstalling Korganizer, Akregator, Knotes, Kjots, so deinstalling these components hasn't simplified things much. The only applications actually being used are KMail & KAddressBook; surely they shouldn't require 18 permanently running, detached processes?

Cool Re: Kmail sent mailbox not defined

For example, four packages required by KAlarm (akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal, kalarmcal, kalarmcal-lang, libKF5AlarmCalendar5) cannot be removed even though KAlarm itself isn't installed, the PIM Settings Exporter seems to require several components of the PIM suite (why?), and Kcontact apparently cannot be deinstalled at all.
    First, some CLI results:
    Code:
     > zypper search kalarm KF5Alarm

S  | Name                               | Summary                                                | Type   
    ---+------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+--------
    i  | akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal           | Plugin to read and write calendar-related alarm data   | package
       | akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal-debuginfo | Debug information for package akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal | package
       | kalarm                             | Personal Alarm Scheduler                               | package
       | kalarm-debuginfo                   | Debug information for package kalarm                   | package
       | kalarm-debugsource                 | Debug sources for package kalarm                       | package
       | kalarm-lang                        | Translations for package kalarm                        | package
    i+ | kalarmcal                          | Library for handling kalarm calendar data              | package
       | kalarmcal-debuginfo                | Debug information for package kalarmcal                | package
       | kalarmcal-debugsource              | Debug sources for package kalarmcal                    | package
       | kalarmcal-devel                    | Development files for kalarmcal                        | package
    i  | kalarmcal-lang                     | Translations for package kalarmcal                     | package
    i+ | libKF5AlarmCalendar5               | Library for handling kalarm calendar data              | package
       | libKF5AlarmCalendar5-debuginfo     | Debug information for package libKF5AlarmCalendar5     | package
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires kalarm
    no package requires kalarm
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends kalarm
    no package recommends kalarm
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal
    kdepim-runtime-18.12.3-lp151.2.4.1.x86_64
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal
    no package recommends akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires kalarmcal
    kalarmcal-lang-18.12.3-lp151.1.1.noarch
    libKF5AlarmCalendar5-18.12.3-lp151.1.1.x86_64
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends kalarmcal
    no package recommends kalarmcal
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires kalarmcal-lang
    no package requires kalarmcal-lang
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends kalarmcal-lang
    kalarmcal-18.12.3-lp151.1.1.x86_64
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires libKF5AlarmCalendar5
    akonadi-plugin-kalarmcal-18.12.3-lp151.1.1.x86_64
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends libKF5AlarmCalendar5
    no package recommends libKF5AlarmCalendar5
     > 
     > zypper search kcontact

S | Name                          | Summary                                                                    | Type   
    --+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
      | kcontacts-debugsource         | Debug sources for package kcontacts                                        | package
      | kcontacts-devel               | Address book API for KDE: Build Environment                                | package
      | kcontacts-devel-32bit         | Address book API for KDE: Build Environment                                | package
    i | kcontacts-lang                | Translations for package kcontacts                                         | package
      | typelib-1_0-EBookContacts-1_2 | Introspection bindings for Evolution Data Server's Address Book Backend -> | package
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires kcontacts-lang
    no package requires kcontacts-lang
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends kcontacts-lang
    libKF5Contacts5-18.12.3-lp151.1.1.x86_64
     > 
     > rpm --query --whatrequires libKF5Contacts5
    no package requires libKF5Contacts5
     > rpm --query --whatrecommends libKF5Contacts5
    no package recommends libKF5Contacts5
     >
    Yes, you could attempt to use the CLI: “zypper remove --force-resolution” but, life is really much easier if, you use YaST Software to remove the packages – simply observe the messages which will pop up and then, select the dependent packages which should also be removed.
    • Please note the Pattern “patterns-kde-kde_pim” – it pulls in the KDE PIM Suite and, therefore, Akonadi as well …

Code:
     > zypper search patterns-kde

S  | Name                              | Summary                                | Type   
    ---+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+--------
    i+ | patterns-kde-devel_kde_frameworks | KDE Frameworks and Plasma Development  | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-devel_qt5            | Qt 5 Development                       | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde                  | KDE Applications and Plasma 5 Desktop  | package
       | patterns-kde-kde_edutainment      | KDE Education                          | package
     l | patterns-kde-kde_games            | KDE Games                              | package
       | patterns-kde-kde_ide              | KDE Integrated Development Environment | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_imaging          | KDE Graphics                           | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_internet         | KDE Internet                           | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_multimedia       | KDE Multimedia                         | package
     l | patterns-kde-kde_office           | KDE Office                             | package
    i  | patterns-kde-kde_pim              | KDE PIM Suite                          | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_plasma           | KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Base              | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_utilities        | KDE Utilities                          | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_utilities_opt    | KDE Utilities                          | package
    i+ | patterns-kde-kde_yast             | YaST KDE User Interfaces               | package
     >
    Once you've completed removing the KDE PIM Suite, you'll need to do a “zypper search akonadi” to find all the Akonadi bits left over and, then remove them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast