Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE Plasma login problem

Default KDE Plasma login problem

After udating Leap 15.1 KDE plasma login screen fails to accept password for one user (others work).
    The problem persists if I use a backup of the problems users home-directory.
    Logging from tty (after STR-ALR-F1) is possible

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE Plasma login problem

Can that user login to Icewm?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Sorry,
    I have no idea, how to login in ICEwm

When using the ICEwm option on the login screen the problem persists. I wonder which configuration file would be used on login AND if you could give a hint on which log messages I should look for.

Try resetting the user in questions password in Yast.

Also do you ever log into a GUI as root? if so check the ownership of the files in that users directory they should all belong to that user none to root.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vonsengbusch View Post
    When using the ICEwm option on the login screen the problem persists.
    Does it tell you that login failed?

Or does it seem to start, and then drop back to the login screen?

As far as I know, when the password doesn't work, it tells you that login failed and gives you another chance. But if there is something messed up in the user settings, then it seems to be starting a session, but then drops back to the login screen.

If there is a problem with KDE settings, Icewm will usually work. If there is a problem with how the user was created (no home directory or home directory not owned by that user) then it will fail also for Icewm. Command line login usually works even when there is no home directory or the home directory has the wrong owner.

(Just trying to narrow this down).
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I also do not think it is a rejected password (as is suggested in the first post), because a CLI login with that password works. So IMHO we have to search for something that breaks the start of the desktop (as suggested above).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Does it tell you that login failed?

Or does it seem to start, and then drop back to the login screen?

As far as I know, when the password doesn't work, it tells you that login failed and gives you another chance. But if there is something messed up in the user settings, then it seems to be starting a session, but then drops back to the login screen.

If there is a problem with KDE settings, Icewm will usually work. If there is a problem with how the user was created (no home directory or home directory not owned by that user) then it will fail also for Icewm. Command line login usually works even when there is no home directory or the home directory has the wrong owner.

(Just trying to narrow this down).
    It does seem to start and then drops back to the login screen; indeed I am looking what may be messed up in the user settings. However, note that even if I fall back to an older version of my home directory which worked with Leap 15.1 already, I still have the problem. All files in my home directory have correct ownership.

Blog Entries

All files in my home directory have correct ownership.
    What about the permissions/ownership of the home directory itself?

I can't tell what's wrong from here. But it is probably something very simple that you are not noticing. And yes, I have had that happen to me.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

It does seem to start and then drops back to the login screen; indeed I am looking what may be messed up in the user settings. However, note that even if I fall back to an older version of my home directory which worked with Leap 15.1 already, I still have the problem. All files in my home directory have correct ownership.
    I have tried to reinstall the problem user and had no problem. I then made this user use the ".config" and ".cache" directories of the problem users home directory, which worked also, it also build up most of my KDE-environment (startup screen after login). It also was o.k. to use "tcsh"-login shell. The problem user would only work properly (after tty-login) with bash as login-shell and show complete corrupt screen using "tcsh".
    I wonder which files/directories would be responsible for the correct setup of the kde-environment, so I could look for other tests to resolve my problem, including the funny login-shell behaviour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast