Thread: Emergency mode on laptop - yippee-ki-yay

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default Emergency mode on laptop - yippee-ki-yay

Had to be in win10, went to shut it down, and it said to not turn off my pc. I didn’t, but the power did.
    I don’t know if that windows interruption cause Grub to be corrupted or what.
    I can get past the Grub menu, but from there it is the emergency mode statements.

Now when I try to start Leap, it goes into emergency mode.
    I’m fairly sure it is having problems mounting /windows/D if I read the journalctl output correctly.

I don’t know where to go from there within the terminal it opens after putting in root password.
    Try to open Yast and see if something there will help, redo Grub, or stick in the USB and do an upgrade, or just reinstall.

I have read several posts about this, but they mostly have to do with btrfs partitions not being read. I don’t do btrfs.

help!

BTW, I am having to do this on iPad because browsers on my desktop will not complete the login page. Just the little page loading wheel spinning until it drags the desktop Leap to a hair, and I mean halt! Can’t do a thing! And I can’t get to something to stop the process. Mouse won’t move.
    What??? Is happening there?
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Emergency mode on laptop - yippee-ki-yay

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    Had to be in win10, went to shut it down, and it said to not turn off my pc. I didn’t, but the power did.
    I don’t know if that windows interruption cause Grub to be corrupted or what.
    I can get past the Grub menu, but from there it is the emergency mode statements.

Now when I try to start Leap, it goes into emergency mode.
    I’m fairly sure it is having problems mounting /windows/D if I read the journalctl output correctly.

I don’t know where to go from there within the terminal it opens after putting in root password.
    Try to open Yast and see if something there will help, redo Grub, or stick in the USB and do an upgrade, or just reinstall.

I have read several posts about this, but they mostly have to do with btrfs partitions not being read. I don’t do btrfs.

help!

BTW, I am having to do this on iPad because browsers on my desktop will not complete the login page. Just the little page loading wheel spinning until it drags the desktop Leap to a hair, and I mean halt! Can’t do a thing! And I can’t get to something to stop the process. Mouse won’t move.
    What??? Is happening there?
    Hi
    If Windows didn't finish, then you need to boot from the windows install media and run the checks so it can boot. Or in openSUSE rescue mode, edit /etc/fstab to remove that mount point and consider leaving it unmounted going forward and just mount when needed....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

False alarm, sort of.
    Windows 10 still booted ok. I went ahead and did another Win10 update(with its several restarts to finish).
    After it completely finished, I restarted, booted into Leap and it booted as it should. Seemingly no problems (so far).

I will have to check if that partition has mounted like it should, and if not remove it and as you suggested, mount it when needed.

On a side note, Somehow, in the last few months, Win10 has stopped letting me use the ‘full shutdown’ task I added, so I need to address that.
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    False alarm, sort of.
    Windows 10 still booted ok. I went ahead and did another Win10 update(with its several restarts to finish).
    After it completely finished, I restarted, booted into Leap and it booted as it should. Seemingly no problems (so far).

I will have to check if that partition has mounted like it should, and if not remove it and as you suggested, mount it when needed.

On a side note, Somehow, in the last few months, Win10 has stopped letting me use the ‘full shutdown’ task I added, so I need to address that.
    Hi
    So it should be;

Code:
    shutdown /s /t 3
    The t is time... 3 seconds

You can also hold down the shift key and hit shutdown for a full shutdown.... Maybe you need to run a windows chkdsk on it which could be one of the reasons it's not shutting down properly.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    So it should be;

Code:
    shutdown /s /t 3
    The t is time... 3 seconds

You can also hold down the shift key and hit shutdown for a full shutdown.... Maybe you need to run a windows chkdsk on it which could be one of the reasons it's not shutting down properly.
    Thanks Malcolm, good advice as usual.
    I will look at the task scheduler in Win10 again , but I think I have shutdown as /s /t 3. I will double check.
    I will do the cksdsk. Especially after the power shut me down in the middle of MS doing it’s thing.