Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if the Mac firmware is exposing a bug in openSUSE's grub-efi.
    Yes, that is a possibility.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mac firmware is exposing a bug in openSUSE's grub-efi. This smells a little bit like the MacOS boots from HD but openSUSE 15.1 does not behavior on my '07 iMac: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ation-on-a-Mac March 2019
    @mrmazda:

Thanks for the reply, that seems like what is going on, because the installer shows "installing bootloader" as a process, pointed to "sdb1" . . . but somehow it isn't, or interestingly, in the Grub menu TW shows as an option, but then doesn't "boot" it. I gave a fast read through your linked thread . . . actually Sno Lep was probably the best version of OSX in quite awhile, I still have a partition with it on my 09 MBP, and I kept 10.9 on it until a few months back. Couple of issues, OSX does not play well with others, so OSX has to go in first, then any linux installs. Also these days rEFInd isn't really needed, although it does provide some useful features like being able to "boot single user" from a menu; it used to be relatively easy to install, but then it got harder. And, these days linux offers the EFI boot disk image, if you pick that one it should install the EFI bootloader--using the option key, unless, like on my MBPro, if linux went in last then on cold boot it will just boot to Grub. If I were to run some OSX update it would break Grub's auto-boot and I have to go back to using option key.

Also, whereas I guess you could add OSX into Grub, I think it is time consuming to do, so I don't use Grub to boot OSX in any of my machines, just linux.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Understanding your post is time consuming and a challenge. Providing relevant and concise information may help in diagnosing the problem:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,FSTYPE
    NAME        PARTUUID                             FSTYPE
    sda                                              
    ├─sda1      2c0e640c-3df5-470a-a17c-89b17eba59d8 ext4
    ├─sda2      410b7947-08ad-4fb7-93ea-854f63a3bf78 ext4
    └─sda4      1f1100a4-325e-4d9e-84a3-bc119b98a449 ext4
    sdb                                              
     ├─sdb1      2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885 vfat

erlangen:~ # efibootmgr -v 
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 1 seconds

erlangen:~ #
    Providing a list of boot loader files installed may be helpful. Post all efi system partitions:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # find /boot/efi/ -type f
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi

Code:
    erlangen:~ # find /mnt -type f
    /mnt/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi

@karlmistelberger:

Yes, it does seem complicated, but thanks for the thoughts on it . . . I'll check into it later on, again, same problem, not GUI for copy/pasting . . . but, the "/mnt" thing looks promising . . . .

et al:

Got back to the TTY and ran as many of the commands as I could, some of them "worked" . . . some didn't, again, hard to get that data posted over here . . . after I ran those commands I ran another zypper ref && dup . . . supposedly "9.2 MB" to download and install, got to package #4 "openSUSE-release-20191112-314.1x86_64.rpm" . . . and it stalled . . . walked away for a few minutes and when I came back it was still hanging there. Tried to ctrl-x out of it, but TTY1 didn't respond, went to TTY2 and tried the same command, but it was "locked" by zypper, so I just rebooted out of it and into another recently installed linux system that is working just fine.

Are all the distros installed in the same mode, UEFI vs. MBR/Legacy? What are your 'cat /etc/fstab', 'efibootmgr' and 'parted -l outputs'?
    Yes, all are UEFI. "/etc/fstab" showed "swap, /, /home, and /boot/efi" as I had it set in the installer. I believe the "efibootmgr" shows /boot/efi as "UUID=67E3-17ED" and "parted -l outputs" shows all three disks with flash drive and all of the internal partitions, including efi, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can maybe test that. When you get a grub menu, hit the 'e' key. Scroll down until you find a line that begins with "linux" or "linuxefi". Hit END to get to the end of that line. Then append a "3" to that line -- just the single character, no quotes. But make sure that there is a space before the "3" (or insert a space if needed). Then hit CTRL-X. If booting is working, that should take you to a command line boot.

If that all works, try the same thing again. But this time, instead of "3", append "nomodeset". And see if it boot into a GUI.
    I tried this adding the 3 and it still went to the "efi not found, hit any key to continue, and then went to the command line showing "panic" and "dump trace" rebooting in 90 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Understanding your post is time consuming and a challenge. Providing relevant and concise information may help in diagnosing the problem:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # lsblk -o NAME,PARTUUID,FSTYPE
    NAME        PARTUUID                             FSTYPE
    This command brought back "unknown column, NAME" when I tried to put "NAME, PARTUUID, FSTYPE" and then also didn't work when I tried just "lsblk -o"

Code:
    erlangen:~ # efibootmgr -v 
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0005,0006
    Boot0000* opensuse      HD(1,GPT,7f39c61b-b9d1-4378-8478-a5e99ae6079d,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\OPENSUSE\GRUBX64.EFI)
    I changed the numbers to what was showing on the TW line, output, it showed the other options as well . . .
    [/CODE]Providing a list of boot loader files installed may be helpful. Post all efi system partitions:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # find /boot/efi/ -type f
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grubx64.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/MokManager.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grub.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/shim.efi
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/boot.csv
    /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/grub.cfg
    /efi/Trashes/._502
    /efi/Trashes/._501
    I believe I copied the "opensuse" lines out of that data.

Code:
    erlangen:~ # find /mnt -type f

Running this command just brought a boot cursor, no data found or shown on it.

Bump. I modified the data that Karl provided, that I copied from the console by hand and posted it in the last two posts . . . nothing to be derived or learned from any of that??

Blog Entries

The EFI information looks normal.

I do not know what would cause a panic when booting to init level 3 (command line).
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

The EFI information looks normal.

I do not know what would cause a panic when booting to init level 3 (command line).
    @nrickert:

OK, yes it does seem like the EFI info looks normal, but what about the suggested "find /mnt type -f" ??? Karl showed he had data for that command, but, in my case there was none, it just returned to the flashing cursor line???

Blog Entries

Typically, "/mnt" is an empty directory -- unless you happen to have mounted something there.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Typically, "/mnt" is an empty directory -- unless you happen to have mounted something there.
    @nrickert:

OK, I didn't know, but what was the purpose of running that command then? I thought it was to show the next step in the EFI boot process, as to what would be "mounted" or not mounted . . . .

So seems like something somewhere in the install is not working to actually boot the system, a so far unidentified error . . . .

I hesitate to spend more time running a fresh install on it, as I have done so a couple three times on this particular version of OpenSUSE TW . . . recovery can't fix it, grub won't boot it, but I can wend my way into the install via TTY, otherwise only after fresh install will it reboot into a fully functioning GUI . . . otherwise . . . "dump trace panic" . . . ???

Is there a way to add a new sudo user to the system, along with the password via the TTY??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Is there a way to add a new sudo user to the system, along with the password via the TTY??
    There is a "useradd" command. And the man pages document it.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

There is a "useradd" command. And the man pages document it.
    Follow-up with
    Code:
    sudo passwd <newusername>
    Or, use text mode YaST for both:
    Code:
    sudo yast
    Either way you can first login as root and then skip the sudos.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast