Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Why not, instead of using SG2, boot from a TW Live image, take over the installed TW and use YaST's bootloader? Has worked dozens of times for me, if not more.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Why not, instead of using SG2, boot from a TW Live image, take over the installed TW and use YaST's bootloader? Has worked dozens of times for me, if not more.
    @Knurpht:

Alrighty, thanks for the idea . . . happy to give it a try when I get a minute . . . I believe that on one of the recent snapshots, the later one, like "11/20" . . . that image was not bootable to live session, which was just further "evidence" to me of a problem with "EFI boot" in TW???? "Subjective" viewpoint . . . .

But, let's say I boot my recent 12/4 snapshot that I used to run an upgrade a few days back . . . how am I going to "take over the installed TW" ?? Where does this take over take place???

And then, why would running Yast Bootloader from the "live" image system be any different than running it in the installed system, which I've done a few times now? I'm not saying it "wouldn't work" . . . but question is why hasn't it "worked" thus far?

A month back I booted the live image to "recovery" and ran through that, tried many things . . . so far to no avail . . . . I believe I still have the 12/4 image on a flash drive, easy enough to boot the "live" session . . . but, then I have to navi to the installed system directories and find in there somewhere the Yast bootloader app? Is that what you are suggesting?

Blog Entries

I'm not going to read the entire thread again, so please replace '/dev/sdX#' by the proper entry for your root fs. Boot from a TW install image, hit Ctrl+Alt+F2, you'll see a root prompt. Then do:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    yast
    Go System - Bootloader, make sure "Probe for foreign OS" is checked. Hit OK.
    Exit YaST
    hit Ctrl+D to exit the chroot, reboot.

I'm not going to read the entire thread again, so please replace '/dev/sdX#' by the proper entry for your root fs. Boot from a TW install image, hit Ctrl+Alt+F2, you'll see a root prompt. Then do:
    Code:
    mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    yast
    Exit YaST
    @Knurpht:

OK, thanks for posting that data . . . I think we did something similar, but not for Yast . . . I'll try it out, in a bit . . . I've run through a lot of install processes, but haven't done much "chrooting." I know that "probe for foreign OS" is already checked in Yast Bootloader . . . . I'll post back on this idea when I've run through it . . . .

Code:
    mount /dev/sdX# /mnt
    chroot /mnt
    mount -a
    yast
    Exit YaST
    @Knurpht, et al:

Haven't had time to run these commands yet, but, since I have the option of running 4 other linux systems, including a Gecko rolling edition, do I need to boot from a live image to "chroot" into "sdb8" file system? And do I need to use a TTY to run these commands? Could I simply run them in the GUI console in possibly Gecko, or could it be from any of the linux choices? Whether in the same HD . . . OR does it need to be in the usb flash drive, i.e., specifically NOT in the HD that will be modified, and/or any of the internal drives?

I have run Yast bootloader from the Gecko side of things in this thread . . . to adjust the labelled name and/or adjust the time out . . . not sure how or if this approach will make a difference in outcomes . . . just checking on the importance of the details, i.e., booting from live image versus booting from another linux install in another drive or in the same drive . . . and then whether booting in adjacent install the TTY is needed to get a different outcome than simply running Yast Bootloader in for example the opensuse-based Gecko in the GUI would suffice on it?

TIA

Blog Entries

O yeah, should work from Gecko as well.

@Knurpht:

Alrighty, that saves some time on it . . . but, has to be in TTY, or will GUI terminal work just as well??

@Knurpht:

Ran it from the GUI console in Gecko . . . kind of amusing in the chroot-land . . . and that did work!!! On reboot grub loaded the edited term "opensusetw" as the top hit and selecting that did boot the sdb8 TW system!!

However, I did something similar the other day where "reboot" brought the revised grub window showing "opensusetw" . . . but after shutting down and cold booting, grub was back to the "Manjaro" controller version and sdb8 wouldn't boot, it was back to the "kernel panic" . . . .

So, just posting here to confirm that I guess we could say the TW can be booted via chroot and running through the Yast bootloader stuff . . . ??? I'll try the full shut down and see how things go on that . . . then out of time for it today . . .

PS: On cold boot the new grub window controlled by opensuse did again load and "opensusetw" was the top hit and it booted TW . . . so we may indeed be "out of the woods" on this problem. I don't exactly "understand" why doing this way into yast, where actually nothing was changed other than to mount the /sys and so forth has finally actually "worked" or taken hold, whereas all the previous edits and revisions to /etc/default/grub and so forth "didn't work" until now mounting via chroot??? Anyway, so far "success" . . . have to get to work, but, I'll again check this tomorrow before I declare the problem as "solved." : - ))))))))

Seems like the "successful" status is enduring . . . thanks to all those who offered assistance on this problem . . . seems like a series of steps that added up to the final solution . . . as main grub lists the edited "opensusetw" label, but the Gecko partition still shows as "Tumbleweed" and the two ubuntu installs show as "ubuntu 19.10 (19.10)" . . . but three options were booted from grub and all seems operational . . . . I hesitate to say, but it seems like this thread is solved!?

Thanks again, I tried to offer kudos to those that the server allowed me to . . ..

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Seems like the "successful" status is enduring . . . thanks to all those who offered assistance on this problem . . . seems like a series of steps that added up to the final solution . . . as main grub lists the edited "opensusetw" label, but the Gecko partition still shows as "Tumbleweed" and the two ubuntu installs show as "ubuntu 19.10 (19.10)" . . . but three options were booted from grub and all seems operational . . . . I hesitate to say, but it seems like this thread is solved!?

Thanks again, I tried to offer kudos to those that the server allowed me to . . ..
    Installation of Pop!_OS 19.10 failed. System76 borked their chroot. But Tumbleweed grub created a working boot entry:

Code:
    menuentry 'Pop!_OS 19.10 (19.10) (on /dev/sdb5)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-gnulinux-simple-bc286060-0844-4da4-bc18-c170b6867ed0' {
            insmod part_gpt
            insmod ext2
            set root='hd1,gpt5'
            if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,gpt5 --hint-efi=hd1,gpt5 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,gpt5  bc286060-0844-4da4-bc18-c170b6867ed0
            else
              search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root bc286060-0844-4da4-bc18-c170b6867ed0
            fi
            linuxefi /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb5
            initrdefi /boot/initrd.img
    }
    Tumbleweed grub readily boots into Pop!_OS 19.10.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast