Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Who put the one on sdc, MacOS, or you? Key to my previous reply is the MacOS could be treating the results of its own work differently. When I installed Snow Leopard, I first created all the partitions I expected need for or wanted.

Unless something changed that I'm not aware of, the first boot into a new installation is a fake reboot, using kexec instead of going through the BIOS. Try yet another installation, but this time, append kexec_reboot=0 to the installation cmdline to make the first boot a real boot. While you are at it, in partitioner, switch mounting from the default by UUID to by LABEL. LABEL is immensely easier for mere mortal humans to troubleshoot when trouble arises.
    @mrmazda:

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions . . . OSX created those partitions, OSX always goes in first in a disk as it doesn't play well with others at all. THen after OSX does its thing linux gets added.

I could run an upgrade, or "installation" again, where would I be appending "kexec" . . . ?? I do recall vaguely that in an installation there would be options for the "mounting by UUID" to something else . . . but in upgrade I don't know about doing that. I was trying to keep it "simple" and just run "upgrade" rather than starting over in "install" . . . but perhaps it is time to try another "install"???? Nothing else seems to be getting it done . . . .

Default Re: Install followed by fresh upgrade couple days later--lost by grub/EFI boot??

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    ...append kexec_reboot=0 to the installation cmdline...
    where would I be appending "kexec"
    on the installation cmdline or a config file
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

a conclusion? observation

with SSDs, when using efi on some hardware with tw, when the bios in incorporated into the start bios?, the fat partitions of tw cannot be seen (may be HW IF problem)

when the bios is loaded via a usb device (HDD, SDD or xdCard) this problem is avoided

one solution is to install tw onto a usb device (at least 64 GB)
    (initially a loading of vmlinuz and initrd may be required via the grub command line)
    then run yast when that os is loaded with Probe Foreign OS enabled
    then select that usb device as the first in the order of booting via efibootmgr

Note:
    - grub may still give a warning that the root partition is not availble on the usb device but after a few seconds it loads anyway
    - tw may not boot if the usb device is removed

hth

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    again I keep asking, why is it that the install I did subsequently to TW, boots and runs fine, all other linux installs boot from grub and run fine, only TW seems to have lost the plot as far as its grub "identity" goes .
    Your installation of Tumbleweed does not work because you refuse to do what presumably makes it work. Instead of that you keep arguing which obviously does not fix the issue.

here TW is the only system that hasn't figured itself and its role in a multi-boot scenario out . . . .
    Host erlangen has the following systems installed:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0001,0000,0002,0003,0004,0005,0007,0009
    Boot0000* tumbleweed-ext4       HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\TUMBLEWEED-EXT4\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0001* tumbleweed-btrfs      HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\tumbleweed-btrfs\grubx64.efi)
    Boot0002* sled  HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\SLED\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0003* manjaro       HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\MANJARO\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0004* Fedora        HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\FEDORA\SHIMX64.EFI)
    Boot0005* arch  HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\ARCH\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0007* UEFI OS       HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO
    Boot0009* leap-15.1     HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\leap-15.1\grubx64.efi)
    erlangen:~ #
    They all boot flawlessly, one prerequisite being to understand what I am doing.

The fact is when you don't know what's wrong with your installation you have to test everything. You can assume NOTHING.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Your installation of Tumbleweed does not work because you refuse to do what presumably makes it work. Instead of that you keep arguing which obviously does not fix the issue.

Host erlangen has the following systems installed:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0001,0000,0002,0003,0004,0005,0007,0009
    Boot0000* tumbleweed-ext4       HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\TUMBLEWEED-EXT4\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0001* tumbleweed-btrfs      HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\tumbleweed-btrfs\grubx64.efi)
    Boot0002* sled  HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\SLED\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0003* manjaro       HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\MANJARO\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0004* Fedora        HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\FEDORA\SHIMX64.EFI)
    Boot0005* arch  HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\ARCH\GRUBX64.EFI)
    Boot0007* UEFI OS       HD(4,GPT,0497bfdf-73d7-47a8-9d8e-6b911574f774,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)..BO
    Boot0009* leap-15.1     HD(1,GPT,2fe6b58a-379a-4f6e-899b-8be22ef6e885,0x800,0x32800)/File(\EFI\leap-15.1\grubx64.efi)
    erlangen:~ #
    They all boot flawlessly, one prerequisite being to understand what I am doing.

The fact is when you don't know what's wrong with your installation you have to test everything. You can assume NOTHING.
    @karl:

Yes, I "argue" because so far the suggestions made have not resolved the problem(s) and have not identified the source of the problem(s) OR I don't have time to research and try yet another path . . . possibly that we have already tried . . . . You state "you refuse to do what presumably makes it work" . . . but I haven't refused to do any of the suggestions that I can figure out how to do, in fact I have tried all suggestions that made sense--until we hit Groundhog Day on it.

I'm not new to installations, as mentioned here 6 months ago I had TW running in this same group of installs and it ran fine . . . I did have some issues with Siduction that seemed to mess with other systems, and possibly there might have been some tweak that remains from that . . . yet to be found or determined . . . . I'm not assuming anything, but the question is why does the install or upgrade reboot into the "new" system, but then lose it on cold boot? Why does the subsequent install that I am using now work fine? There are only so many choices to be made in the opensuse installer, those choices provided a boot-able Manjaro install . . . and I have edited the two "opensuse" system names . . . but the two "ubuntu" systems boot up and run from grub in spite of having the same grub titles.

I even figured out how to get into the grub command line as provided by your link to Chris Titu's page, but seems like that data posted there was "old" . . . and I ran "grub" instead of "grub2" and "initrd" instead of "mkinitrd" ??? Comedy of errors . . . .

None of this is too critical, I'm just a GUI driver that has run a fair amount of installs . . . from the GUI installer . . . I appreciate that mrmazda provided a link to a google search bar . . . but I don't recall seeing a reference to switching to console from the GUI installer?? I still believe there is a glitch in the installer relating to some aspect of EFI installation . . . seemingly from running the upgrade from the 12/4 snapshot that problem still remains . . . "nothing to see here, must be something that I'm doing . . ."

PS: Had the thought, that hasn't been mentioned here previously . . . when I get a spare 1.5 hours to mess with this install again, I can pull drives sda and sdc . . . leaving sdb with the two opensuse and Manjaro installs in the computer . . . run the "grub2-mkconfig xxx" command, use SG2 to boot up TW, run Yast Bootloader . . . and see if that gets "grub" re-organized and able to boot TW by itself??

That would eliminate the possible "overlaps" or confusion in "grub" with the two ubuntu installs and any "conflict" between sdb1 && sdc1 EFI partitions and possibly make it easier for "grub" to figure out what to do . . . ?? Otherwise, it's literally been a month trying to get this install to find itself, when all the other systems can do that for themselves . . . it might be "science" to try to pull the other drives and test sdb only??

No time for that now . . . but something to ponder . . . .

initially you stated tw worked ok after the install
    but failed on subsequent cold boot and only getting to the tui

is that still the case?

if so it implies grub worked but the desktop manager (dm) failed,
    this can be confirmed by starting the dm directly
    e.g.

sudo sddm

if sddm is not installed then use the name of the one that is

does this cmd take you to the gui?

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    initially you stated tw worked ok after the install
    but failed on subsequent cold boot and only getting to the tui

is that still the case?
    if so it implies grub worked but the desktop manager (dm) failed,
    this can be confirmed by starting the dm directly
    e.g.
    sudo sddm
    if sddm is not installed then use the name of the one that is
    does this cmd take you to the gui?
    @keellambert:

Thanks for picking up the cudgel on this thread . . . parts of what you are stating is what's happening . . . the initial install reboot gets to the GUI, and in this latest case of the 12/4 snapshot upgrade, grub loaded with the revised/edited "labels" as done in /etc/default/grub . . . and "opensusetw" booted up w/o using SG2 . . . .

But, on cold boot, grub reverted to the "Manjaro" controlled grub with the old names, and selecting sdb8 does load a "grub error" "initrd file not found" ??? something like that and then quickly goes into a "kernel panic" window . . . "rebooting in 90 seconds" without a prompt returning to run commands.

We've tried so many things that I've lost track of when it was that I could get into a TTY and log in and run updates and or try stuff. Once I got SuperGrub2 working that gets me into the GUI, but finding the reason why only TW doesn't boot from grub remains the question. When I get a moment to mess around with TW I'll try it out . . . in various ways, seeing if I can get to a working TTY from grub window sdb8, likely whichever "dm" is working, if I use SG2 to boot TW and I'm in the GUI then the DM is working . . . .

this seems to confirm previous statements,

if the bios is loaded from a non-tw source (e.g. SG2; installer) then the dm loads correctly
    but subsequent starts are unreliable or fail

conclusion
    - grub install is ok
    - dm install is ok

assumption
    - tw bios insertion into startup sequence is at fault either
    -- something is omitted
    -- something is incorrectly ordered
    -- timing problem

NB. manually starting the dm to get to the gui is not an acceptable solution as some things are not automatic any more (e.g. loading of peripheral devices; sound operation)

dependency of starting tw from a usb, xdCard also not acceptable

this situation has been encountered on a HP laptop and a PC with Ryzen cpu, the only hw commonality being an SSD is used.

although installing efi tw into other HP laptops and PCs has not been a problem (all with SSDs)

have fun, with nearly 3000 reads of this thread, its clear you are not in a one-off situation

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    this seems to confirm previous statements,
    if the bios is loaded from a non-tw source (e.g. SG2; installer) then the dm loads correctly
    but subsequent starts are unreliable or fail

conclusion
    - grub install is ok
    - dm install is ok
    assumption
    - tw bios insertion into startup sequence is at fault either
    -- something is omitted
    -- something is incorrectly ordered
    -- timing problem
    NB. manually starting the dm to get to the gui is not an acceptable solution as some things are not automatic any more (e.g. loading of peripheral devices; sound operation)
    dependency of starting tw from a usb, xdCard also not acceptable
    this situation has been encountered on a HP laptop and a PC with Ryzen cpu, the only hw commonality being an SSD is used.
    although installing efi tw into other HP laptops and PCs has not been a problem (all with SSDs)

have fun, with nearly 3000 reads of this thread, its clear you are not in a one-off situation
    @keellambert:

Well, not exactly fun . . . time consuming . . . I try to keep it entertaining, that is more "reads" than I've had for a couple of books and a web site . . . so I guess we have to take our attention from where we can get it . . . ???

You've mentioned the SSD theme a few times, one "wild card" item I might have mentioned here is that there is an SSD in the computer, although not where TW is installed, and that SSD has OSX 10.14 installed on it using the new APFS format, and that formatting seems to have put a "stamp" on the mobo dmesg such that it loads before grub . . . across the EFI boot disks . . . but grub doesn't seem to "see" or recognize "APFS" and doesn't list the OSX 10.14 disk in the menu.

I don't know whether something in the TW installer got tweaked by that formatting style, not many people in the OSX realm seem over-joyed about it, but again, all the other flavors of linux are boot-able from grub, main grub, the grub among us that lists all of us . . . somehow TW has fallen between the cracks in grub-land . . . .

I used SG2 to boot into TW and ran the "grub2-mkconfig" stuff again last night, haven't had time to try to pull the other drives, I again ran the Yast Bootloader and I changed the timeout . . . I'm not holding my breath on that fixing the "yet unknown issue" . . . .

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast