Thread: Thumbs UP/Down?

Default Thumbs UP/Down?

Just out of curiosity, why don't these forums have a thumbs up / thumbs down button?

When someone helps me solve a problem, I add to their reputation. When reading posts by others, it would be nice to be able to just express mild approval or disapproval.

It isn't a big deal but I am curious about the administrative reasoning.
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Default Re: Thumbs UP/Down?

When you are helped to satisfaction, you can just tell so in plain language (and maybe improve the whole problem - solution story by explaining what exactly you did after someone gave you a hint). I assume that is more appreciated then what you suggest.
    Also the "smiley list" (when opened using the [More] button) offers you those. Thus I do not understand what you are missing.
    Henk van Velden

Ultimately, it's because the software we use doesn't provide that functionality, and building custom extensions limits our ability to patch and update it.

We prefer partciipation in the thread from those who have something to say.
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I forgot to show instead of only to tell: or ?
    Henk van Velden

Thumbs up Re: Thumbs UP/Down?

Got It. Thank You.

I ask because I sometimes assist in website design and am asked what features are useful or troublesome. Thanks for the professional insight.

My personal opinion is that it offers a lazy form of user participation on Opinion type discussion boards but is not useful for serious, technical forums like this one.
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.12.8
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.12.8
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 15.1; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.12.8

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you are helped to satisfaction, you can just tell so in plain language (and maybe improve the whole problem - solution story by explaining what exactly you did after someone gave you a hint). I assume that is more appreciated then what you suggest. ...
    I try to explain exactly what I did and how it worked out as in post #7 in this thread. I don't know if it helps anyone or not but it seems like the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHoot View Post
    I try to explain exactly what I did and how it worked out as in post #7 in this thread. I don't know if it helps anyone or not but it seems like the right thing to do.
    Of course people love explanations like that. Some people are only interested in themselves and after they got a solution hinted, you will never hear from them if it helped (let alone that they say thank you). But you are clearly not amongst them
    Henk van Velden