Thread: Black screen after nvidia update today. Sigh...

Default Black screen after nvidia update today. Sigh...

My second desktop. About an hour ago the KDE updater installed nvidia G04 proprietary packages version 390.132. On reboot I get the grub menu, choosing openSUSE gives the three-dot splash for a few seconds, then a black terminal screen with a static cursor on the top left.

The machine is not frozen, it actually starts the user session, but no X.

I switched to ALT+CTRL+F1, logged as root and used yast2 (ncurses?) to check installed nvidia packages. To my surprise the suse-prime pkg was installed, although this is no laptop.

Removed suse-prime, rebooted, same black screen.

Since I can't downgrade to the previous version I removed nvidia G04 packages and rebooted, believing that nouveau would be enabled. But no joy, same black screen.

I can boot into W10, so no hardware issue.

Except installing nvidia "the hard way" I have no idea what to try.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruno

P.S. locked nvidia packages in my main desktop, something I should have done before on both machines...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black screen after nvidia update today. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    My second desktop. About an hour ago the KDE updater installed nvidia G04 proprietary packages version 390.132. On reboot I get the grub menu, choosing openSUSE gives the three-dot splash for a few seconds, then a black terminal screen with a static cursor on the top left.

The machine is not frozen, it actually starts the user session, but no X.

I switched to ALT+CTRL+F1, logged as root and used yast2 (ncurses?) to check installed nvidia packages. To my surprise the suse-prime pkg was installed, although this is no laptop.

Removed suse-prime, rebooted, same black screen.

Since I can't downgrade to the previous version I removed nvidia G04 packages and rebooted, believing that nouveau would be enabled. But no joy, same black screen.

I can boot into W10, so no hardware issue.

Except installing nvidia "the hard way" I have no idea what to try.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruno

P.S. locked nvidia packages in my main desktop, something I should have done before on both machines...
    Hi
    Make sure the /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf is deleted and then rebuild initrd with the mkinitrd command to get back to the nouveau driver.

It's because the kernel modules have not been updated to the 4.12.14-lp151.28.25-default kernel yet....
    https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/15.1/x86_64/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    It's because the kernel modules have not been updated to the 4.12.14-lp151.28.25-default kernel yet
    Leap kernels are expected to be ABI compatible through entire release so if this is really the cause it is kernel bug.

Hi
    Make sure the /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia.conf is deleted and then rebuild initrd with the mkinitrd command to get back to the nouveau driver.
    Ah, that worked, thanks!

And I should have noticed there was still nvidia stuff when the three-dot Plymouth screen didn't change after removing the drivers. I'm getting slow...

Bonus: after running mkinitrd I got the nice Leap screen with the bouncing triangles back.

It's because the kernel modules have not been updated to the 4.12.14-lp151.28.25-default kernel yet....
    https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/15.1/x86_64/
    I see. nvidia repo has:

nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default-390.132_k4.12.14_lp151.27-lp151.6.1.x86_64.rpm
    And my current kernel is:
    Code:
    :~> uname -a
    Linux linux-7dfm 4.12.14-lp151.28.25-default #1 SMP Wed Oct 30 08:39:59 UTC 2019 (54d7657) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    :~>
    I suppose that's the problem, when nvidia updates the package so the minor versions match I can reinstall G04. Maybe...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    I see. nvidia repo has:

And my current kernel is:
    Code:
    :~> uname -a
    Linux linux-7dfm 4.12.14-lp151.28.25-default #1 SMP Wed Oct 30 08:39:59 UTC 2019 (54d7657) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    :~>
    I suppose that's the problem, when nvidia updates the package so the minor versions match I can reinstall G04. Maybe...
    Hi
    Well it will be in weak-updates and maybe too weak for your card..? I have the later driver, it's sitting in weak-updates but working, as indicated likely a bug...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!