Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: DST no longer exists

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jundiai, São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    479

    Default DST no longer exists

    Every time I correct the clock the time goes back to Daylight Saving Time that no longer exists here in Brazil
    What should I do to keep the system from changing the time?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,235

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    Likely you need to update your time zone database.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,402

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    You have chosen OTHER VERSION, but failed to tell us which openSUSE version you use.

    But when you use an older, unsupported version of openSUSE, there are no more updates provided. Then it is logical then when the Brazilian politicians change the DST policy, the corresponding "Recommended Update" for your timezone database is not provided for your openSUSE version.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jundiai, São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You have chosen OTHER VERSION, but failed to tell us which openSUSE version you use.

    But when you use an older, unsupported version of openSUSE, there are no more updates provided. Then it is logical then when the Brazilian politicians change the DST policy, the corresponding "Recommended Update" for your timezone database is not provided for your openSUSE version.
    My openSUSE is Leap 42.3But is there nothing I can do?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,402

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    Quote Originally Posted by sergelli View Post
    My openSUSE is Leap 42.3But is there nothing I can do?
    Maybe try to copy the timezone database from an up-to-date system. But noguarantee from my side
    Look into
    Code:
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/
    There is a directory Brazil there. It has four (4) different zones.
    I assume that you must at least overwrite the zone you live in.

    Edit:
    And of course the other thing you can do is to upgrade to 15.1.
    Maybe the fact that not using an unsupported version can hit you in unexpected places helps you in deciding for it.
    Last edited by hcvv; 11-Nov-2019 at 09:14.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,235

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    Quote Originally Posted by sergelli View Post
    But is there nothing I can do?
    If all you care about is current time, you can simply set your timezone to Etc/GMT+2 (or whatever offset from GMT you are in, I understand Brazil has 4 timezones). This means timestamps in the past may be displayed "incorrectly" for the periods DST was in effect, but I guess most home users do not really care.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jundiai, São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: DST no longer exists

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    If all you care about is current time, you can simply set your timezone to Etc/GMT+2 (or whatever offset from GMT you are in, I understand Brazil has 4 timezones). This means timestamps in the past may be displayed "incorrectly" for the periods DST was in effect, but I guess most home users do not really care.
    Thank you very much. This was a good answer and solved the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •