Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to back to a snapshot problems with Tumbleweed update to kernel-default-5.3.8-1.1?

Default How to back to a snapshot problems with Tumbleweed update to kernel-default-5.3.8-1.1?

After the update to last version my computer is unusable, but the the last snapshot before the update is work.
    How can I boot up right on to this snapshot without to go ever to snapshots option at boot menu and select an given snapshot? I must go back to version with kernel version 5.3.7-1-default, the last snapshot before update.

I was reading about snapper but I didn't find cases when was necessary to back to an early snapshot.

I would like to get some documentation to read about the snapshot management.

Default Re: How to back to a snapshot problems with Tumbleweed update to kernel-default-5.3.8-1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar View Post
    I would like to get some documentation to read about the snapshot management.
    Personally, I don't use btrfs / snapper, but this documentation may provide you with answers.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_Tutorial
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191109) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to back to a snapshot problems with Tumbleweed update to kernel-default-5.3.8-1.1?

Hi
    Or install tumbleweed-cli and rollback that way, I don't use snapper, but have used tumbleweed-cli to sort out a Mesa issue a few snapshots back....

https://github.com/boombatower/tumbl...tion-and-usage

Or, just boot with the older kernel from the Grub options?

So what is your issue, graphics?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi,

I do use snapper, almost daily ( install software to help others, rollback to snapshot before to remove all of that when done ). Have a look at the snapshots by
    Code:
    su
    snapper list
    Look at the dates, and the snapshot number. Let's say the last snapshot before the upgrade was # 1234, then you would do
    Code:
    su
    snapper rollback 1234
    This normally takes only a couple of secs. Reboot and the default Grub entry should put you back on the previous state of the fs.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Or install tumbleweed-cli and rollback that way, I don't use snapper, but have used tumbleweed-cli to sort out a Mesa issue a few snapshots back....

https://github.com/boombatower/tumbl...tion-and-usage

Or, just boot with the older kernel from the Grub options?

So what is your issue, graphics?
    I'm at another version of kernel by now, I did entry via grub entries, but I want to find a way to make this actual snapshot, that I can list with snapper list, my main 'version' of system.

Doesn't seems graphical issue, but the laptop is with four cpu core with 80% to 100% usage, and very slow although I'm not using nothing with more than 15GB free of RAM memory.

I will look to tumbleweed-cli also, until to know how to make that without crash the system, I keep continue to boot up for early snapshot by grub entries.

PS: I am very pleased with Tumbleweed, It is the first time I go through such a problem, and I make updating all the time in my system, but as I come in this scenario, I would like to understand these snapshot concepts if is the aim for these situations, as apparent to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hi,

I do use snapper, almost daily ( install software to help others, rollback to snapshot before to remove all of that when done ). Have a look at the snapshots by
    Code:
    su
    snapper list
    Look at the dates, and the snapshot number. Let's say the last snapshot before the upgrade was # 1234, then you would do
    Code:
    su
    snapper rollback 1234
    This normally takes only a couple of secs. Reboot and the default Grub entry should put you back on the previous state of the fs.
    It's work perfectly! How I think that is the objective of snapper by my first reads. Let me know how to find a documentation to usage like you said, manager software installation and other stuffs. I find the link passes in one of this previus post but I imagine that has something more 'hands on' in some scenarios, and some links are broken.

Thanks by answer and thank to all guys that gave me some good options!

No need to go backward if the Kernel is the problem, you would loose the dup content (20191104-0). Delete the Kernel:

Code:
    su -
    zypper -v rm `rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 5\.3\.8\-1`
    Example and normal reading:

Code:
    # zypper -v rm `rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 5\.4\.rc5\-3`
    The following 5 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      kernel-default        5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-default-devel  5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-devel          5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-source         5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-syms           5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
    Yes
    Restart and the Kernel should be gone from the Grub menu.
    Ryzen 2700U FHD Lenovo ThinkPad E585

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    No need to go backward if the Kernel is the problem, you would loose the dup content (20191104-0). Delete the Kernel:

su -
    zypper -v rm `rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 5\.3\.8\-1`

Example and normal reading:

Code:
    # zypper -v rm `rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 5\.4\.rc5\-3`
    The following 5 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      kernel-default        5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-default-devel  5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-devel          5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-source         5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
      kernel-syms           5.4.rc5-3.1.gc8cf7fe
    Yes
    Restart and the Kernel should be gone from the Grub menu.
    Which would leave kernel related packages in ...., like f.e. nvidia drivers.
    Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Which would leave kernel related packages in ...., like f.e. nvidia drivers.
    Just saying
    We were assuming that the OP was able to boot in the previous Kernel to isolate the bug. The 33 related packages last a few weeks. This is the content of the last snapshot. Among other, Grub, Mesa, Python can break the system and of course the Kernel. Going back to a previous snapshot just sets the bug in pause mode.

Code:
    The following 4 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      libbrotlienc1 libMagickCore-7_Q16HDRI7 libMagickWand-7_Q16HDRI7 systemd-network

The following 2 packages are going to be REMOVED:
      libMagickCore-7_Q16HDRI6 libMagickWand-7_Q16HDRI6

The following 178 packages are going to be upgraded:
      adwaita-icon-theme attr bind-utils branding-openSUSE ffmpeg-4 gawk gdb gio-branding-openSUSE gmp-devel grub2 grub2-branding-openSUSE grub2-i386-pc grub2-snapper-plugin
      grub2-systemd-sleep-plugin grub2-x86_64-efi hwdata ImageMagick ImageMagick-config-7-SUSE java-11-openjdk java-11-openjdk-headless kdepim-runtime kdepim-runtime-lang libapr1 libattr1
      libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7 libavformat58 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbind9-160 libblkid1 libblkid-devel libdns169 libdrm2 libdrm_amdgpu1 libdrm_intel1 libdrm_nouveau2
      libdrm_radeon1 libexiv2-27 libfdisk1 libfreebl3 libfreebl3-hmac libgbm1 libgcrypt20 libglvnd libgmp10 libgmpxx4 libical3 libicu64_2-ledata libicu-suse64_2 libidn2-0 libidn2-lang
      libirs160 libisc166 libisccc160 libisccfg160 libldap-2_4-2 libldap-data libltdl7 liblua5_1-5 liblwres160 liblzma5 libminizip1 libmount1 libmpc3 libnewt0_52 libpostproc55
      libpython2_7-1_0 libraw19 libreoffice libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-drivers-firebird libreoffice-branding-openSUSE libreoffice-calc libreoffice-draw libreoffice-filters-optional
      libreoffice-icon-themes libreoffice-impress libreoffice-l10n-en libreoffice-mailmerge libreoffice-math libreoffice-pyuno libreoffice-qt5 libreoffice-writer libruby2_6-2_6 libsbc1
      libsignon-qt5-1 libslang2 libsmartcols1 libsnmp30 libsoftokn3 libsoftokn3-hmac libswresample3 libswscale5 libsystemd0 libtool libtwolame0 libudev1 libuuid1 libuuid-devel
      libvdpau_r300 libvdpau_r600 libvdpau_radeonsi libvulkan_radeon libwebrtc_audio_processing1 libwrap0 libyajl2 libz1 libzio1 lua51 man-pages mdadm Mesa Mesa-dri Mesa-gallium
      Mesa-libEGL1 Mesa-libGL1 Mesa-libglapi0 Mesa-libva mozilla-nspr mozilla-nss mozilla-nss-certs mozilla-nss-tools myspell-dictionaries myspell-en myspell-en_US myspell-lightproof-en
      net-snmp openldap2-client openldap2-devel openSUSE-release openSUSE-release-appliance-custom perl-HTTP-Cookies perl-libwww-perl perl-SNMP plymouth-branding-openSUSE postfix
      python3-bind python3-brotlipy python3-cffi python3-chardet python3-cryptography python3-pip python3-pyparsing python3-requests python3-sip python3-urllib3 python-base
      python-sip-common ruby2.6 sbc signond signond-libs signon-plugins smartmontools snmp-mibs systemd systemd-icon-branding-openSUSE systemd-logger systemd-sysvinit tcl tk udev
      util-linux util-linux-lang util-linux-systemd vim vim-data vim-data-common wallpaper-branding-openSUSE xen-libs xz xz-lang yast2 yast2-logs yast2-qt-branding-openSUSE zlib-devel

The following product is going to be upgraded:
      openSUSE Tumbleweed  20191101-0 -> 20191104-0

The following 2 packages require a system reboot:
      systemd udev

178 packages to upgrade, 4 new, 2 to remove.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Ryzen 2700U FHD Lenovo ThinkPad E585

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    We were assuming that the OP was able to boot in the previous Kernel to isolate the bug. The 33 related packages last a few weeks. This is the content of the last snapshot. Among other, Grub, Mesa, Python can break the system and of course the Kernel. Going back to a previous snapshot just sets the bug in pause mode.
    I can agree on the last bit. But it at least would not break an openQA tested snapshot. Skipping a couple of snapshots to wait for a bug being fixed is not bad practice. (Re)moving folders that belong to packages is. IMNSHO.
    Regards,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast