Thread: Can't boot from HD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't boot from HD

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    NO.

Code:
    linux-xk6v:/home/ion # ls -la /boot/efi/EFI/boot/
    total 1552
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    8192 Nov  5 15:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    8192 Nov  5 15:57 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1208968 Nov  5 15:57 bootx64.efi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  358768 Nov  5 15:57 fallback.efi
    linux-xk6v:/home/ion # 
    linux-xk6v:/home/ion # ls -la /boot/efi/EFI/opensuse/
    total 3520
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    8192 Nov  5 15:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    8192 Nov  5 15:57 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      58 Nov  5 15:57 boot.csv
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     155 Nov  5 15:57 grub.cfg
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1062752 Nov  5 15:57 grub.efi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  124416 Nov  6 12:12 grubx64.efi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1158688 Nov  5 15:57 MokManager.efi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1208968 Nov  5 15:57 shim.efi
    linux-xk6v:/home/ion #
    Hi
    Rename the /boot/bootx64.efi to say bootx64.efi.old and then copy over the /opensuse/grubx64.efi and rename to bootx64.efi

Reun YaST bootloader again by changing the timeout and see how it goes.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Listen, I've used up a lot of your time. There are others on this forum that need help. Why don't you put it away for a while and if I don't take a hammer to it I'll get back later. It's a bit of a shame since I don't think this machine has more than 100 hours on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Listen, I've used up a lot of your time. There are others on this forum that need help. Why don't you put it away for a while and if I don't take a hammer to it I'll get back later. It's a bit of a shame since I don't think this machine has more than 100 hours on it.
    Hi
    No worries, press on at your leisure I won't be around tomorrow until the evening, but others here will help
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

My only experience with a Toshiba was a long time ago, before UEFI.

My other Toshiba experience was helping a forum user getting it to with UEFI. It seems that the UEFI support on Toshiba systems was not very good at that time. I hope they have improved. But you described your computer as "an older notebook" so maybe it is from a time when Toshiba wasn't handling UEFI very well.

My memory is hazy on that system. But I think it ignored the NVRAM defined boot entries, and only looked at the hardware boot entry. When your system is up and running, that would be at "/boot/efi/EFI/Boot" (some of the capitalization could be different).

On a normal install for UEFI, the boot files are in "/boot/efi/EFI/opensuse". You can try copying some of those files to the "Boot" directory just mentioned.

Maybe try this:
    Code:
    cd /boot/efi/EFI/Boot
    cp ../opensuse/shim.efi  bootx64.efi
    cp ../opensuse/grub.efi .
    cp ../opensuse/grub.cfg .
    rm fallback.efi
    You can maybe try. There is a risk that you won't even be able to boot with the USB after making those changes. So maybe save the current content of that directory first, so you can restore from a rescue boot. However, "fallback.efi" actually exists elsewhere on your system (at "/usr/lib64/efi/") so you could get it from there to restore it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

If you don’t need any of those (U)EFI features like secure boot keys, and your BIOS supports a feature called »lecacy boot«, you could repartition the hard disk MBR-style (Master Boot Record), with a single primary ext4 root partition, reinstall Leap 15.1 and have GRUB2 boot Linux legacy-style. It doesn’t get more robust than that. On the other hand, EFI firmware is sometimes flaky, and starting a system via FAT32 EFI boot partitions leaves all kinds of bad taste.

Whereas I've learned to like EFI on Sun/Solaris and Apple hardware (where most errors seemed to have been ironed out a long time ago and best practices have developed), current Intel- and Microsoft-style UEFI seems to still need some work. There are many articles and presentations about flawed and incorrect EFI implementations. The very fact that we still need a Linux EFI »stub« pretending to be a MS Windows bootmanager is a travesty.

In conclusion, keep it simple, use legacy boot via MBR.

You can also boot from the bios and see if there is an option to run an efi application.
    If it is present you have to find opensuse there and boot the opensuse efi.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    You can also boot from the bios and see if there is an option to run an efi application.
    If it is present you have to find opensuse there and boot the opensuse efi.
    I run out of editing time.

Are you sure you also pick to boot efi from the hard drive in bios settings?
    It might be still reading the usb as your first boot option.

Last resort you can use yast or yast2 to delete the /boot/efi and reformat and mount as /boot/efi again
    and reinstall the bootloader using yast before restarting your machine. Just be sure if you have another os
    to check probe foreign os and disable secure boot. I've done this before when I encountered a problem
    where the bios can't find the os. I always run mkinitrd just to be sure before restarting the machine, don't know
    if it is really needed.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    My only experience with a Toshiba was a long time ago, before UEFI.

My other Toshiba experience was helping a forum user getting it to with UEFI. It seems that the UEFI support on Toshiba systems was not very good at that time. I hope they have improved. But you described your computer as "an older notebook" so maybe it is from a time when Toshiba wasn't handling UEFI very well.
    Not a Toshiba, an Acer. Thanks for the advice but see my later post.

Quote Originally Posted by unix111 View Post
    If you don’t need any of those (U)EFI features like secure boot keys, and your BIOS supports a feature called »lecacy boot«, you could repartition the hard disk MBR-style (Master Boot Record), with a single primary ext4 root partition, reinstall Leap 15.1 and have GRUB2 boot Linux legacy-style. It doesn’t get more robust than that. On the other hand, EFI firmware is sometimes flaky, and starting a system via FAT32 EFI boot partitions leaves all kinds of bad taste.

Whereas I've learned to like EFI on Sun/Solaris and Apple hardware (where most errors seemed to have been ironed out a long time ago and best practices have developed), current Intel- and Microsoft-style UEFI seems to still need some work. There are many articles and presentations about flawed and incorrect EFI implementations. The very fact that we still need a Linux EFI »stub« pretending to be a MS Windows bootmanager is a travesty.

In conclusion, keep it simple, use legacy boot via MBR.
    Yes, excellent advise, and it's what I did with immediate success. But I was a little intimidated by all the installer warnings about not being able to boot.

Many thanks to all of you for the wonderful support. It's one of the things that make our OS great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123