Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You can't install from the live isos, Better use the installation iso.

Blog Entries

Default Re: You can't install from the live isos, Better use the installation iso.

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Finally I thought I had figured out some various problems, installer doesn't like the OSX created "200MB EFI directory" as far as the /efi/bootloader option goes, ...
    You can get around that by using the expert partitioner. Assign that EFI partition to be mounted at "/boot/efi". Provide other partitions as appropriate for your needs.

You will get a warning that the EFI partition is smaller than 256M. You can click "ignore" and continue with the install.

If you are not familiar with the expert partitioner, maybe you shouldn't try this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: You can't install from the live isos, Better use the installation iso.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You can get around that by using the expert partitioner. Assign that EFI partition to be mounted at "/boot/efi". Provide other partitions as appropriate for your needs.

You will get a warning that the EFI partition is smaller than 256M. You can click "ignore" and continue with the install.

If you are not familiar with the expert partitioner, maybe you shouldn't try this.
    @nrickert:

You picked that issue out of all of the issues I posted about?? : - )))) I have run hundreds of installs very likely, key point that seemed to be the main point of this thread is that there is some "problem" with the installer??? And in running a number of them this weekend, not one of them was what might be called successful . . . in spite of my 'expertise" in the area of running installs . . . there were problems. Problems that did not appear when running essentially the same kind of install with manjaro, which seems "similar" as far as the install and booting of opensuse goes, similar feel, etc. Manjaro went well, TW in two different installers, net and live . . . basically busted down . . .

Blog Entries

@nrickert:

You picked that issue out of all of the issues I posted about?? : - )))) I have run hundreds of installs very likely, key point that seemed to be the main point of this thread is that there is some "problem" with the installer??? And in running a number of them this weekend, not one of them was what might be called successful . . . in spite of my 'expertise" in the area of running installs . . . there were problems. Problems that did not appear when running essentially the same kind of install with manjaro, which seems "similar" as far as the install and booting of opensuse goes, similar feel, etc. Manjaro went well, TW in two different installers, net and live . . . basically busted down . . .
    Hi
    I always preconfigure the device(s) to use, likewise I always use the expert partitioner and never had issues. If it's windows, backup user stuff, then blow it all away for fresh installs...

Code:
    inxi -GASz
    System:    Host: gekkota-nagios Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.76-default x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 0
               Distro: openSUSE Leap 15.0
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
               Display Server: X.org 1.19.6 driver: i915 tty size: 191x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.12.14-lp150.12.76-default

os-prober 
    /dev/sda2:SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP4:SLED:linux:btrfs:UUID=be4744f7-3091-4ed4-9b03-e84d042ea952:subvol=@
    /dev/sda4:Mac OS X:MacOSX:macosx

lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1   8:1    0   200M  0 part /boot/efi
    ├─sda2   8:2    0    40G  0 part 
    ├─sda3   8:3    0     4G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda4   8:4    0   100G  0 part 
    ├─sda5   8:5    0 619.9M  0 part 
    ├─sda6   8:6    0   200G  0 part /data
    └─sda7   8:7    0    40G  0 part /
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

You picked that issue out of all of the issues I posted about?? : - )))) I have run hundreds of installs very likely, key point that seemed to be the main point of this thread is that there is some "problem" with the installer???.
    The key point for this thread was with the installer when using live media (live Gnome, live KDE or live XFCE. The live XFCE iso is usually called "live rescue".) As far as I know, these problems do not show up if you use the DVD installer or the NET installer.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

We've tried the 20191023 snapshot live (wired) entire disk and we did not encounter any issues. There were only 2 packages to deal with after dup. Live CD seems faster than zypper dup.

/boot at 256MB is pretty small these days. The partition needs attention, you must remove old Kernels.
    Ryzen 2700U FHD Lenovo ThinkPad E585

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    We've tried the 20191023 snapshot live (wired) entire disk and we did not encounter any issues. There were only 2 packages to deal with after dup. Live CD seems faster than zypper dup.

/boot at 256MB is pretty small these days. The partition needs attention, you must remove old Kernels.
    The EFI boot partition is not mounted on /boot, but on /boot/efi and does not contain the kernels. These are in /boot.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

The key point for this thread was with the installer when using live media (live Gnome, live KDE or live XFCE. The live XFCE iso is usually called "live rescue".) As far as I know, these problems do not show up if you use the DVD installer or the NET installer.
    @nrickert:

Ah, this is referring to the online "live" systems??? I wasn't messing with any of that . . . but as mentioned in the prior post it did seem to go sideways with TW DVD & NET installers over the weekend . . . thought others were suffering with me on it, but I guess it's jes me . . . .

I was looking to see if there was a thread that could save me starting a new thread on it, might do that tomorrow or so . . . . In comparo I just ran another Manjaro install, done in ten minutes, rebooted and up and running . . . no kernel panics. I did as Malcolm does, pre-formatted the partitions . . . installer ran clean.

Blog Entries

I did a test install on Saturday Nov, using the 20191030 DVD installer. The install went smoothly.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I did a test install on Saturday Nov, using the 20191030 DVD installer. The install went smoothly.
    @nrickert:

Was that a TW install or Leap daily??

Blog Entries

Was that a TW install or Leap daily??
    That was a Tumbleweed install, using
    Code:
    openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20191030-Media.iso
    All installers have their quirks. I'm used to the openSUSE installs, so they usually go well for me. I'm more likely to trip up with a fedora install or a debian install, since I only rarely do those.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast