Thread: secure way to open spam mail ?

Default secure way to open spam mail ?

I know it is recommended to not open it but is it possible under certain circumstances to open it without risking anything ?

Default Re: secure way to open spam mail ?

I guess that not interpreting it as HTML is rather save (something you should have on as default in your e-mail program IMHO).

And when you interprete it as HTML, block all scripting.

Of course your system is always rather save, because you open mail as a normal user and whatever will happen to that normal user will never happen to system software.

BTW, most spam I get is already moved to a spam box at my provider and his algorithms are rather good. Thus I only look at them using web mail and not on my system at all.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I guess that not interpreting it as HTML is rather save (something you should have on as default in your e-mail program IMHO).

And when you interprete it as HTML, block all scripting.

Of course your system is always rather save, because you open mail as a normal user and whatever will happen to that normal user will never happen to system software.

BTW, most spam I get is already moved to a spam box at my provider and his algorithms are rather good. Thus I only look at them using web mail and not on my system at all.
    Thank you.

I'm using web mail only.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeTopSite View Post
    Thank you.

I'm using web mail only.
    Then simply using normal precautions like NoScript and AddBlock and storing all cookies as session cookies should be sufficient. And take care in opening attachements (but as Linux does not execute executable attachments like Windows, even that should be rather save).

BTW, after so long a time, you are lucky that I saw your post. I have unsubscribed from this thread already after some weeks.
    Last edited by hcvv; Yesterday at 04:14.
    Henk van Velden