Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox is down for the count

Default Re: Virtualbox is down for the count

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    On the Internet, nothing is gone forever.
    Install sources for old, discontinued versions of openSUSE can be found at the following location
    https://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/di.../distribution/

The Virtualbox User Manual should be first stop for such things as how to clone VMs and usual Guest Additions maintenance. Your situation may be different though, I don't remember if there were special problems upgrading Guest Additions from a major version to another (5.7 to 6.0),in this special situation I've sometimes had to completely uninstall the old Guest Additions in a separate step before installing a new version. And it shouldn't be a critical issue to not have working Guest Additions when starting up a VM... It should just be lacking in features until the problem is resolved.

The Virtualbox User Manual section on Guest Additions is here
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Uninstalling Guest Additions is described here
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E97728_01...inux-uninstall

I'd caution against using Visual Studio to write code in general and RPi in particular... Although I am a big fan of Visual Studio for what it does, it's important to understand and respect its limitations. Microsoft enforces a "Microsoft Way" in every project, most importantly in how code is organized, supported and implemented which can cause a variety of compatibility and integration problems(unless you decide to go 100% Microsoft). Compiled code will be CLR, and . There used to be a 3rd party version of Visual Studio that supported python called IronPython, looks like it's now been made available as a set of tools in Visual Studio. I don't know that very many people write RPi applications in C, I think I remember an Intel toolkit for doing that some years ago. And no, Qt probably isn't a good choice either... AFAIK it's a Desktop level toolkit so unless you're running a Desktop on your device that provides those components, ti wouldn't make sense.

Python is the standard language used for writing code for RPi, and likely because unless you decide to install an odd OS most of what you need to run your app would be already installed by default. The Cylon.js I run requires installing Javascript libraries, but I live with that. If you run almost any other language, you'd be dealing with similar issues.

TSU
    I have visual studio for c++, c#, Visual Basic and am not fan for badly it behaves. I ran a test of Visual Basic for DOS back in the day then reran same program only written in visual c, C#, and VB and a 5 second complex sort vbdos took over 1 hour in studio-vb and almost 15min in c++ and C#. What was worse is that the studios versions did it wrong! So while I have studio I never again will use it. I also did the same program in assembly using masm and it was comparible to vbdos at 4 seconds. Then I did same code in xbasic while create asm code and compiles. It too took 4.2 seconds.

Because control of an EV can have some very strict timing considerations I have to be sure the language used to make the apps can be trusted to not add unnecessary overhead. c and c++ are clumsy enough when it comes to strict timing which is why I prefer xbasic (easy development) and creates asm files which you can then edit to further refine before compiling.

At this point I have virtualbox working even if I can't get it work with rpi or guest additions. I will tackle those later.

Someone suggested use qemu-kvm so I installed that but no clue how to define a vm in it. I'm feeling lost right now.
    Need to take a break from virtual machines.

Thanks for the help from you and all that have replied.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Well I'm back with virtualbox failures.
    I got an update a few days ago from opensuse and one of the items dealt with virtualbox so today I opened xp as guest and I can read the shared ntfs partition (read only mode) from the guest. In linux it insists I be super user to access this partition. again I can read files from it but can't save to it unless I am superuser. I checked the permissions in linux and the whole partition and all folders come back as owner & group can read and modify and delete but others can only read.

How do you make the Partition and it's contents owned by root and user and shared by virtualbox for read write and delete. Isn't root supposed to system! I did get a message when I was root that the ownership change could not be done as root because the partition is owned by system??
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Got thinking maybe something happened to etc/fstab so looked and found
    Code:
    UUID=ABC9-795A                             /home/rick/e-drive  vfat  uid=1000        0  0
    I am uid 1000 so I am puzzled , as root login I can change files view read write execute, as user 1000 (me) I can view only, in virtualbox I can view only (see files in the directories) can not load files in read write mode (some will load in read only mode but most text files won't)

Blog Entries

UID 1000 is well known to be reserved for system root, and can't or shouldn't be assigned to any other User account.
    There should be many ways to determine your ordinary User account, IIRCone way is to inspect your User Account in YaST.

Although you mounted as root,
    Of course you can also always CHOWN (Change Owner) and similarly change group to apply permissions and access for a different User or Group of Users.

Also, be aware that Visual Studio will generally compile to the CLR by default, which means that the first time the binary is run on a system, there is a substantial load time.
    But, after that the binary should load and run very quickly.
    IIRC C++ and likely VB2DOS (not VBasic which will be VB.net) might be configurable to compile to a non-CLR binary.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

UID 1000 is well known to be reserved for system root, and can't or shouldn't be assigned to any other User account.
    There should be many ways to determine your ordinary User account, IIRCone way is to inspect your User Account in YaST.

Although you mounted as root,
    Of course you can also always CHOWN (Change Owner) and similarly change group to apply permissions and access for a different User or Group of Users.

Also, be aware that Visual Studio will generally compile to the CLR by default, which means that the first time the binary is run on a system, there is a substantial load time.
    But, after that the binary should load and run very quickly.
    IIRC C++ and likely VB2DOS (not VBasic which will be VB.net) might be configurable to compile to a non-CLR binary.

TSU
    my dev/sda4 was originally ntfs data partition for the sole purpose of sharing with Linux and Windows (in virtualbox) and I don't know how or why but it now shows as vfat. That aside, yast says I am administrator (which is right) and user 1000 group 100 member of users, root, vboxusers. I did some extensive tests under linux to see what isn't working. As user I can copy files, open files, edit and save files to the offending partition, I can even delete files but only one at a time. I can not move files from dolphin but can move them using cli. Login as root, I can do everything I want on the shared drive. Any file I access when root I need password to access later as user.

I just want the dev/sda4 to be unrestricted access to all for rd/wr/exec. tried to figure out fstab for this drive and tried a few changes but it didn't seem to be working. right now it is back to ' 1000 defaults 0 0' which allows vbox guest to open files read only.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    my dev/sda4 was originally ntfs data partition for the sole purpose of sharing with Linux and Windows (in virtualbox) and I don't know how or why but it now shows as vfat. That aside, yast says I am administrator (which is right) and user 1000 group 100 member of users, root, vboxusers. I did some extensive tests under linux to see what isn't working. As user I can copy files, open files, edit and save files to the offending partition, I can even delete files but only one at a time. I can not move files from dolphin but can move them using cli. Login as root, I can do everything I want on the shared drive. Any file I access when root I need password to access later as user.

I just want the dev/sda4 to be unrestricted access to all for rd/wr/exec. tried to figure out fstab for this drive and tried a few changes but it didn't seem to be working. right now it is back to ' 1000 defaults 0 0' which allows vbox guest to open files read only.
    Why not chown the file system root to your logged in User account?
    (It won't be 1000)
    If you're uncertain what that does, then
    1. Backup your data to another disk
    2. chown not the entire disk file system but only a directory with a few files in it
    Then inspect.

I'd be wildly speculating, but if your Guest was installed with a UEFI bootloader (IIRC MBR is default but UEFI is supported), then your bootloader must be on a non-Linux bootable partition... some kind of FAT is common as a universally supported file format. Once Grub loads then your ext4, btrfs or whatever file format for your root partition can be read.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Why not chown the file system root to your logged in User account?
    (It won't be 1000)
    If you're uncertain what that does, then
    1. Backup your data to another disk
    2. chown not the entire disk file system but only a directory with a few files in it
    Then inspect.

I'd be wildly speculating, but if your Guest was installed with a UEFI bootloader (IIRC MBR is default but UEFI is supported), then your bootloader must be on a non-Linux bootable partition... some kind of FAT is common as a universally supported file format. Once Grub loads then your ext4, btrfs or whatever file format for your root partition can be read.

TSU
    Linux leap 15.1 is on dev/sda3 and uses uefi boot , but virtualbox handles windows 2k windows xp and windows 7 and linux 11.3.

Only one user on this system. When I defined user rick I made him also administrator. when I log in under rick I am regular user with no admin rights. My user id is 1000. When I log in as root, my user id is 1000 with full admin rights. During install of 15.1 it asked me if
    I wanted to create other users or just make me the admin with no others. I am all for easy so I made myself the admin with no other users.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    Linux leap 15.1 is on dev/sda3 and uses uefi boot , but virtualbox handles windows 2k windows xp and windows 7 and linux 11.3.

Only one user on this system. When I defined user rick I made him also administrator. when I log in under rick I am regular user with no admin rights. My user id is 1000. When I log in as root, my user id is 1000 with full admin rights. During install of 15.1 it asked me if
    I wanted to create other users or just make me the admin with no others. I am all for easy so I made myself the admin with no other users.
    Just goes to show how long it's been since I've paid attention to actual UIDs... Although the convention changed many years ago, it never affected how things generally work.

So yes, as the first account created on your system, a UID 1000 is entirely appropriate.
    Keep in mind, when you were asked whether you wanted this first User account to be the Administrator on your system during installation, that's not the same thing as being granted the equivalence of root... All it really means is that various bookkeeping functions on the system like notifications would be sent to this account. It does not mean this account was granted root permissions in any way.

So, back to the issue of vfat...
    Although I haven't installed any MSWindows as guests recently, I do know that at least since Win8.x, all MSWindws will try to install a UEFI layout if the system supports. openSUSE started doing that only relatively recently but so far all my newly installed VBox openSUSE have installed using MBR... Except for those experiments when I forced a UEFI setup.

From your openSUSE,
    A couple things you might look at...
    1. Run fdisk to verify the partitions and layout on your system. There are probably other commands which can display useful, similar information.
    2. You can inspect your YaST Boot module to see what it says, if you are set up with an MBR or UEFI boot.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Ok I presume there is some reason to do a risky partition table read on a running system here is what fdisk gave me:
    Code:
    linux-bdgk:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sda
    Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Disk model: WDC WD10JPVX-22J
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: B7FD16F2-42CF-4EC8-B666-D0E36A381B0C

Device         Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
    /dev/sda1       2048     616447     614400   300M EFI System
    /dev/sda2     616448    9013247    8396800     4G Linux swap
    /dev/sda3    9013248   71927807   62914560    30G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda4  680112128 1953523711 1273411584 607.2G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda5  260671488  533294537  272623050   130G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda6  533295104  680112127  146817024    70G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/sda7   71927808  134842367   62914560    30G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda8  134842368  260671487  125829120    60G Linux filesystem

Partition table entries are not in disk order.
    it basically confirms that linux was installed using uefi and the implementation is using GPT rather than MBR-Partition table.
    This is seemingly too difficult for linux to handle. I don't understand how opensuse has changed so much from real linux that you can't define the drive the way you want . Before 15.0 I had my shared windows drive (dev/sda4) with NO RESTRICTIONS it plain worked as it should giving me full access as a regular user. Then when I was using virtualbox it attached seemlessly as a network drive with full access for read and write and execute as well!!! Now I am at a lose that is sugguesting opensuse linux can'r function anymore.

Why is it so hard to define a data drive such that everybody has access regardless of wheather they are user 1000 user 9999 or virtual guess XP. I can live with security levels on the OS itself but it should never stop me from using my data as I want. The rive is mounted into my home partition that all the security it ever needs.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!
    I just found this "Default behavours for mounted vfat drives have changed. Where in the past etc/fstab would have the mount point take on the traits of that mount point. If the mount point is not in home/<user> owner is root but if mount point is in /home/<user> the mount permissions would be that of the <user>. Now vfat drives are not assigned to user as they were in the past. Now all vfat and ntfs drives are presumed to be root only unless they have been specifically set to work with a <user> or a group. You can no longer make drive accessible to everyone forever. "

So for my situation this looks like the correct set-up but it doesn't work.
    Parameters for the mount should read :
    mount /devsda4 /home/rick/e-drive -t vfat -o shortname-mixed,codepage=858,umask=002,uid=1000,gid=100

Change /etc/fstab to and again this does not work. As far as I can tell the drive is still locked as useable by root only!!!:
    /dev/sda1 /home/rick/e-drive vfat shortname=mixed,codepage=850,umask=002,uid=1000,gid=100,user 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast